1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL] Right now, who's the second best team?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by The Cat, Sep 22, 2008.

?

Who's No. 2?

1. Tennessee

12 vote(s)
    12.6%
  2. Denver

12 vote(s)
    12.6%
  3. New York Giants

29 vote(s)
    30.5%
  4. Philadelphia

32 vote(s)
    33.7%
  5. Green Bay

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Other (please specify)

8 vote(s)
    8.4%
  1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

After three weeks, it's pretty clear that the Cowboys are a cut above. From there, this is a really interesting year, given the apparent decline of the Colts, Patriots, Jags and Chargers and the rise of the NFC. So, when you look at that immediate second tier (under Dallas)... who's the best? Yes, I get that things can change, especially with incredibly talented teams like the Colts and Jags, but this is more about evaluating what we know now.

My criteria for the poll group -- first, you have to have a winning record. That leaves the Bills, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Titans, Broncos, Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, Redskins, Packers, Bucs, Panthers, Falcons, Cardinals and Niners. Second, you have to have elite level talent. Of that group, I think we can agree the Bills, Ravens, Redskins, Falcons and Niners aren't there, so they can be scratched. Third, if you've lost to another team in that group, obviously you're not the best among that group right now. That'll eliminate the Redskins (lost to Giants), Cardinals (lost to Redskins), and Steelers (lost to Eagles). Finally, I think you can eliminate teams that lost to someone below that group -- Patriots, Bucs and Panthers.

So, we're left with this group -- TEN, DEN, NYG, PHI, GB.

What strikes you about this group? To me, it's that the AFC has taken an enormous step back. Right now, the Titans and Broncos look like the cream of the conference, and that's weak. The Titans are an imposing team, but you have to question whether that unimaginative gameplan and Kerry Collins can truly win a Super Bowl. The Broncos are 3-0, but they're a made FG and blown call from being 1-2.

Right now, I think it's the Eagles. They looked much more competitive (even in Dallas) against the Cowboys than the Packers did, and in general, they've looked more efficient offensively than the Giants. I also question if the Giants defense can make plays all season along without Strahan and Osi. It seems a little funny for the Eagles to have suddenly become the second-best team in the league, but right now, I'm thinking they might be. Strange year.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't get to watch a lot of games, but I'd go with the Eagles as well.

Denver and NY don't have SB quality defenses this year, and the t*** don't have a SB quality offense (except against the Texans). GB still has a lot to prove.

I can't believe we're not talking about the Colts, Jags, Chargers, or Patriots. Those 4 teams would have been on my top 5 list before the season started.

Like you said, strange year.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Titans have that look....great defense, good balanced offense....and a genius as a head coach.

DD

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I wish you would have started this thread about Week 8, then we would get a better idea of which team is where. Glad to see the first two posters agree with the Eagles being a top-notch team. :)

After three weeks, you have to give the nod to the Cowboys but then again it is only Week 3 and anything can happen. We'll see.

As far as second best, let me break it down from those in the poll. Tennessee has looked great, with Collins as the starter although two of the teams they beat were the Bengals and Texans. Denver thrashed the Raiders but had to win in shootouts against the Saints and Chargers and I don't think the offense can play at that level weekly while the defense plays so poorly. New York's only impressive win is against Washington. I need more time to see what they have to offer against a top-tier team or two. Green Bay didn't play horribly against Dallas but their two wins come against Minnesota and Detroit, again I need more time to examine them. Philadelphia blew out a lifeless St. Louis team, lost a shootout to Dallas they easily could have won, and beat the Steelers in a slugfest yesterday and many people were proclaiming the Steelers as the best the AFC had to offer this year. With the Eagles beating the best AFC team and hanging with the best NFL team I would have to give them the nod right now.

#4 Lil Pun, Sep 22, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I think it's the Packers right now.

I don't trust the Eagles to keep up their quality play. They came out of the gates strong, but I expect them to fade.

I wouldn't write off Indy or the Steelers just yet. It's only been 3 games.

I think the thing that has surprised me the most is how bad the Rams have looked. I didn't expect them to be elite or anything, but I didn't expect them to be a complete doormat so far either.

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I know they lost yesterday, but Steelers should still at least be an option. It was on the road against one of the best defenses in football. They did hold the Eagles to 15 pts in Philly, don't forget.

7. Lil Pun

Yeah but Westbrook was injured (he IS the Eagles offense) and McNabb was hurting. McNabb started 15-15 in that game but once Westbrook was out and he was hurting it went downhill. I think the Eagles offense would have done much better with Westbrook in there, he makes that much of a difference. I don't doubt the Steelers are a great team though. Polamalu is sick! :eek:

8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I'm going to go with the undefeated Super Bowl Champs. Then the Eagles. It may very well be that the three best NFL teams are in the NFC East.

9. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

The eagles/steelers score was a lot closer than it should have been. (9 sacks?!?!)

But, if that game was at Pittsburgh, the steelers win. Just like if the cowboys had played at Philadelphia the eagles win.

My vote goes for eagles #2.

Giants had to win in OT at home vs. a terrible cinci team.

Of course, I'd prefer to have the option for: week 3 doesn't mean anything.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Eagles and Steelers. Over the course of the long season, I think those two teams have the best chance. I'm not sold on the Packers because this is Aaron Rodgers first season as a starter. I expect him to struggle some after defenses get a better read on what he likes to do. If he plays stellar all season, the Packers are near the top but remain behind the Eagles and Steelers. The Giants are 3-0 but haven't impressed me. Denver's bubble is going to burst. They are 3-0 instead of 1-2 because of pure dumb luck. The Titans defense is good, but their QB situation disqualifies them from contender status IMO.

Remember the season is long and a lot will change in the next few weeks. Predictions based on the first 3 games don't mean much of anything.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I honestly think the Broncos (and this absolutely pains me in my soul to say) might be Super Bowl bound.

Cutler is running that bootleg as well as Elway, its sickening.

12. Lil Pun

Denver has always been a master of the naked bootleg. I just think that defense gives up way too many points to be Super Bowl bound.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I still think Pittsburgh will end up going to there, but the Broncos have just been getting lucky with wins, which is always an indication of a long run into the playoffs.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Denver? Philly? TENNESSEE?? Honestly?

Where are the Saints and Chargers on this list?

15. Lil Pun

Is that a joke?

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I have to say the Giants, then the Eagles...

17. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

That's what she said!

18. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

If McNabb can stay healthy and Westbrook's injury isn't too serious, it's the Eagles. If either one of them misses much time, it's probably the Giants, even though they weren't all that impressive yesterday (except for their d-line pass rush).

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

No.

The joke here is trying to pick superbowl teams after 3 weeks.

20. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

My Eagles should have beaten the cowgirls. Damn it!!! :mad: