1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL GM Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by AlexVanderpool, Feb 26, 2004.

1. AlexVanderpool

We have 3 teams open on our 7 round online GM mock draft:
    Denver, New York Jets, and San Diego...

The draft will be held this Saturday.

please email alex at nfl_mockdraft_2004@yahoo.com if you are interested.

2. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

I'd have been in inf the 9ers were open. Alas, as Homer says, the Broncos just aren't the same...

3. drapg

drapg Member

I think this sucks because I just found out we can't trade players. I was hoping to parlay Eddie George into a pick.

I've lost interest.

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

You do realize that Homer said that before the Broncos won back-to-back Super Bowls?

They should have re-done that scene for syndication and redid his lines with Jim Kelly instead of John Elway.:mad:

5. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Lol! Manny, that was the joke, how the Niners suck now, etc....oh, well. ( Am still rabid Noners fan, but admit they are no longer first class)

Still, it wasn't so much a comment on the Broncos at the time, IMO, as the incredible disparity between NFC and AFC which was annually on display at the Super Bore.

6. Manny Ramirez

Yea, I know JAG; I just wished that the Simpsons would have updated that line for syndication to reflect what is current!

After the Broncos got blown out by the 49ers in Super Bowl XXIV (which probably inspired the Simpsons writers), this joke came out:

"How many Denver Broncos does it take to fix a flat tire?"

Answer: "One - unless it is a blowout, then it takes the entire team!":rolleyes: :D

7. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Lol! You've gotta admit, Elway's plunge and TD celebration followed by the gun were both funny and telling, at the time.

Elway was, IMO, the closest thing I've seen to the perfect QB, physically. But Montana was much better, becase quarterbacking is so much more than the sum of physical abilities. Towards the end of his career Elway had really imprved, but he was never the QB Montana was. Of course, no one else was either.

8. Manny Ramirez

Well, hold on just a minute there, JAG. I agree with you that Montana was one of the greatest ever, but he was very, very fortunate to have Bill Walsh on his side.

Elway had to endure hell for 10 seasons with Dan Reeves - a man who consistenly refused to get a star running back, also refused to get an average sized offensive line, and relied on a mediocre defense and the thin air at Mile High plus Elway's incredible physical talents to get by.

When he was finally canned, I knew it was a matter of time before the Broncos would win it all - they just had to get the right coach which they did in Shanahan. He shored up the offensive line, addressed the running back problem, and went with a gambling type defense (at first this was the case under Greg Robinson but it grew conservative later in his tenure).

I think you can easily picture Montana on the losing end of some Super Bowls if he had Dan Reeves and Elway on the winning end of some Super Bowls (more than the 2 he won at the end of his career) if he had Bill Walsh.

9. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Walsh was a factor, a huge one, no doubt, but it was a marriage made in heaven. Walsh has been asked many times if a QB with better measurables could have done the same as Montana ( Elway was often used as an example) and he always said " Not even close." Montana had some spooky abilities which transcend just playing well in a system; his ability in the clutch, his ability to always deliver a catchable ball, his ability to 'feel' the rush without seeing it, and most of all, his incredible, Gretzky-esque vision, which had many believers seriously maintain that he saw the field in slow motion.

As an example; Every QB in history, with ( I think this is the number) at least 3 playoff games under his belt sees his QB rating drop in the post season, as makes sense; better competition. No one is even close to the same as their regular season QBR. Except Montana...his gets better. 4 Super Bowls, well over a hundred passes attempted against top competition...not one interception. Those are the kinds of things that system and coach can't account for.

Elway had a greater number of comebacks than Montan in bulk...( I think Joe is 2nd) but that fails to account for the number of opportnities. Montana was not behind nearly so often. In terms of percentage of opportunities ( team down in the 4th) Montna blows Elway away.

And Montana's first Super Bowl was completely on his shoulders...no Rice, no Craig, not much of anything except him. Some of his later teams had superior talent to most of Elway's earlier teams, but the first one was actually inferior to Elways Super Bowl Broncos...and Montana, as always, still found a way to win. Which he always did. Did you ever hear of the Chicken Noodle Soup game in college?

10. Manny Ramirez

Chicken Noodle Soup Game?

Are you talking about the Cotton Bowl against Houston?

At any rate, I think Montana is one of the best ever, but I have always wondered how good he would have been without Walsh. I'll just have to agree to disagree with you on your other points.

11. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Yep. I was trying to be...diplomatic. Don't know how many Cougar fans are out there...

OK on agree to disagree, but will ask this: Is he the best ever?