1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Drops 5 Game Suspension

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by shawn786, Oct 2, 2006.

1. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Tennessee's Haynesworth suspended 5 games for stomping on lineman's head

By TERESA M. WALKER, AP Sports Writer
    October 2, 2006

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Tennessee Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth was given a five-game suspension -- the longest for on-field behavior in NFL history -- for stomping on Dallas Cowboys center Andre Gurode's head and kicking him in the face Sunday.

The NFL said Monday that Haynesworth was suspended for flagrant unnecessary roughness. The suspension, which is without pay, is effective immediately. Haynesworth will be eligible to return Nov. 19 for the Titans' game at Philadelphia.

"There is absolutely no place in the game, or anywhere else, for the inexcusable action that occurred in yesterday's Titans-Cowboys game," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said.

Haynesworth was penalized and ejected from the game early in the third quarter after stomped on Gurode's head, causing his helmet to pop off, then kicking him again following a 5-yard touchdown run by Julius Jones of the Cowboys.

Gurode received stitches above his forehead and beneath his eye.

"What I did out there was disgusting," Haynesworth said Sunday. "It doesn't matter what the league does to me. The way I feel right now, you just can't describe it."

Titans coach Jeff Fisher said Haynesworth's actions were unacceptable.

"I felt there needed to be some serious action taken from a discipline standpoint, and I believe that what the league has done right now is adequate," Fisher said.

Jones had just scored on a 5-yard run, putting Dallas up 20-6 in what wound up as a 45-14 victory. Gurode said they hadn't been talking or having any exchanges that led to Haynesworth kicking him twice.

"In all my years of football, this has never happened to me. I've never been kicked in the face like this, and I've never seen anybody kick nobody else in the face," Gurode said.

Before Monday, the longest suspension for on-field behavior was two games for Green Bay defensive lineman Charles Martin for throwing Chicago quarterback Jim McMahon to the ground during a game on Nov. 23, 1986. McMahon landed on his shoulder.

It's the first suspension since 2002 Rodney Harrison, then with San Diego, was suspended one game for hitting Oakland's Jerry Rice with his helmet. Earlier that season, Denver's Kenoy Kennedy was suspended for a game for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Chris Chambers of Miami.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...titans-haynesworthsuspended&prov=ap&type=lgns

That was a cheap shot. I think this is more than deserving on Hatnesworths part.

2. Angle02

Angle02 Member

Cheap shot is being nice. It was really uncalled for and now the NFLPA is going to appeal the suspension. It's also been said that legal authorities are awaiting word from Andre Gurode on what he wants to do pertaining to pursuing criminal charges.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The thread title made me think the NFL rescinded the suspension.

4. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ay5BE-xVd_w"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ay5BE-xVd_w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Well deserved...What a dirty play...

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

He said he was sorry.

7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

That was terrible. He could have easily damaged his eye.

Should have kicked him out for the year.

8. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I'd think that it could be a crime. It may have happened on the playing field, but having that happen to you shouldn't be considered as part of the risk you take on when you play football.

NFLPA appeal it to get a shorter suspension? If I were a player, I'd be telling the association I want the suspension to be as long as possible to help protect me from people who think they can do stuff like that during a game....

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Speaking of cheap shots, anybody have the clip of Reche Caldwell getting plastered in the Cincinatti game?

They didn't show it on ESPN's "Jacked Up" segment because it was too brutal..

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

maybe it's #1 on jacked up (at halftime) ?

11. Angle02

Angle02 Member

So does about every other person that does something wrong. It's easy to say I'm sorry but it doesn't change the fact that you let anger or something else get the best of you.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

let me first start by saying

19-10

eat it b****es

as much as i hate the cowboys, that was bush league. it was stupid. he should be suspened the rest of the season. You see how Fisher was all over his guy? His apology was fake.

and to close my statement, i would like to say.]

19-10, eat it b****es.

13. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Thats the sadiest part. What a damn joke.