1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL 25 Under 25 Rankings

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Air Langhi, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9502299/nfl-top-25-players-age-25

JJ watt is ranked no 2

The rest of the top 10
    Luck
    Watt
    Von Miller
    Wilson
    RG3
    Luke Kuechly
    aldon smith
    Earl Thomas
    Cam Newton
    Julio Jones.

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

No a.j. Green?????

3. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

he will be 25 by the time week 1 starts, so he's not on the list.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

How did Patrick Peterson not make that list?...

Anyway, Bill Barnwell of Grantland ranked JJ 4th in his trade value piece, behind Rodgers, Wilson and Luck.

So it begs the potentially interesting question: would anyone trade JJ straight-up for any of the other players ranked either ahead of him (Luck twice, Wilson, Rodgers) - or, for that matter, behind him?

5. Air Langhi

PP is 11.

JJ watt is not more valuable than a qb. It is just the way the rules are set. Peyton manning could take a 2-14 team to the playoffs. Same with Brady.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

PP is on it but he's overrated in my book. On defense anyways. Still plenty of time for him to improve. Aldon Smith is also probably overrated (but still great).

I don't get how the likelihood of lesser stats resulting from more double teams can make you a worse player.

7. smr6

smr6 Member

JJ is a better player than Luck.

But, Luck is more valuable to his team.

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I'd trade him for any QB ahead of him. Everyone in Green Bay would be crapping their pants if they see in the news that Aaron Rodgers got traded for Watt.

Any other position ahead or behind him, I probably wouldnt. Its really hard to say the amazing Adrian Peterson is replaceable, but you can get by these days with lesser backs. Offensive lineman are rightfully more valued now, but all it takes is one weak link to make a line susceptible. We've talked about WR level of importance plenty.

Its all about passer and pash rush, with some run stop worked in. And pass rush can help defensive back play. You can upcoach a pass rush some but the reggie white, lt, bruce smith type monsters they have QB type importance on that side of the ball

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm not trading Watt for anyone, not Luck or any QB based on what we've seen.

People always say QB is the most valuable position true...but sometimes you run across a player that is really special. He can play nearly any position too except for maybe OL and ST of course.

But you think of a guy like Troy Polamalu or Ray Lewis...who with both guys throughout their history made their teams contenders just on presence alone. I think Watt is one of those guys.

As long as he wears a Texan Jersey we will always be relevant and a few pieces away from being a contender. He's going to make the game easier for everyone he plays with and hopefully be a great leader as the years go on and he plays a position that can be played for some time.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If Watt was just as good of a player as he is now and had the same historic season but played MLB or SS he'd be much lower on that list. Position matters.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Is this about value or skill? A quarterback is the most valuable position in any sport, but if this is about who is "better," I dont understand how Luck is that high. JJ and Von Miller are the 2 best defensive players in the NFL. Luck is not even a top 15 QB right now

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Who was more valuable to the Ravens or Steelers for the past decade or so? Ray Lewis and Troy Polamalu or (Insert Ravens QB Here)/ Roethlisberger?

Position does matter but people make it seem like you can't have a huge impact playing any other position but QB and that's just not true. We've seen greats at all positions impact the game just as much as QBs guys like L.T or Primetime Sanders or Jerry Rice or who many consider to be the best football player ever.

13. Air Langhi

I am going to guess 32 out of 32 GMs make that trade. Heck rick smith probably makes that trade.

14. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Hard to make that comparison because NFL you only play one side of the ball. JJ Watt is a franchise player, he's a game changer. So long as his skills don't decline, I wouldn't trade that for anyone.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Definite not for some 2nd year QB whose still riding off his hype and wasn't even the best rookie QB of his draft class.

16. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

You're damn right I would.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I was alluding to his position being relatively high impact. MLB? SS? Meh. A dominant defensive lineman is right below QB, albeit way, way below.

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I'd probably trade Watt for Luck.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm not all that surprised that some of you would. But lets remember that Watt is a top 5 player in the NFL right now only a year older than Luck.

Andre Luck is not a top 5 player in the NFL...and Watt is...this isn't some 'potential stuff' this is right now Watt is as young as Luck and is a top 5 player.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

yeah but QB >>Defensive lineman