1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[NFL 2015 Draft] Houston Texans select Benardrick McKinney-#43 overall

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, May 1, 2015.

?

How do you like Benardrick McKinney from Miss State?

Poll closed May 11, 2015.
  1. Totally like it!

51 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Meh!

14 vote(s)
    20.6%
  3. Wanted someone else

3 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

79The "slow to diagnose" label worries me. John Harris' version above is "not a natural ILB".

Instincts are #1 for ILB/MLB. They have to diagnose. I guess as good an athlete as he is, they could move him ouside, worse comes to worse.

Certainly a physical mutant in a way that Kendricks and Paul Dawson werent. Those two, along with the kid from Miami we're ILB/MLB or bust, while you could try McKinney around the field some.

Edit:

The depth chart at ourlads.com has McKinney at SAM, with Cush and Tuggle inside, instead of John Simon at SAM with Cush and McKinney inside. Obviously just an external publication, but it makes more sense to me instinctively.

www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/HOU

#41 Ottomaton, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Bill obrien has already confirmed that he will play inside. Said there are some thing he can do on third down, but mostly he is a first and second down run stopper.

3. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Like stated above, He'll start at as a 2 down LB, and as he progresses in the system and works on his overall skillset, he'll be utilized on every down. He's got the pass rush ability to slide outside on 3rd, and I do believe with some help from Vrabel, he'll be able to help in coverage.

4. Remii

Remii Member

How many great LB's has Vrabel developed...??? You do know Romeo is the DC and he's worked with and helped developed great LB's going back to LT. I believe he even coached up Vrabel when he was a player.

Also, do you think teams don't throw the ball on 1st and 2nd down in today's NFL...

But it says a lot that the coaching staff is coming out saying how much this kid will be playing from day one fresh out of the draft. I don't recall them saying the same about other draft picks since they've been here.

5. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

RAC's ability to develop of LBs is understood. Going back to last season however, nearly all the coaching of the LB group was done by Vrabel. RAC was focused on the D-line. That's why I say Vrabel getting his hands on him would be a good thing, seeing how he seems to get free reign of coaching that group. Of course it's all under RAC's guidance, but still.

And yes, everyone is quite aware that passing on the first 2 downs is an option. The reason it's being stated that he'll start as a 2 down LB, is because the opposing offense will still have a RB on the field on those downs, and that RB will still need to be accounted for. Even with RB's on 3rd, unless it's short yardage, they're a decoy and are there for added protection.

You've got a LB in McKinney that can still cover RB's even when they're not getting the ball handed off to them. Anything behind the line of scrimmage is his to take, and he will take it. He's got very good closing speed when running down hill.

6. Remii

Remii Member

I seriously doubt Romeo was focused on just the D-Line when he has a wet behind the ears postion coach... But I won't debate it.

McKinney's stiff hips is what they have to work on which is why he's a liability in man coverage but he is good in zone coverage. I think he's the best LB on the team right now.... And if he's not, he will be soon.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sign him up for salsa dancing classes

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Texans rookie Benardrick McKinney has mild sprained medial collateral ligament, according to sources, team hopes he'll return soon</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/636674620125376513" data-datetime="2015-08-26T23:00:32+00:00">August 26, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Texans rookie Benardrick McKinney has sprained MCL, sources say <a href="http://t.co/wWe8l9ydPe" title="http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2015/08/texans-rookie-benardrick-mckinney-has-sprained-mcl-sources-say/">blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans…</a></p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/636682857197367296" data-datetime="2015-08-26T23:33:16+00:00">August 26, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Cushing won Twitter last night

[​IMG]

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I had forgotten how high of a pick McKinney was.

Damn I can't wait for Texans football to return!

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that dude is a piece of work. Hilarious.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member