1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEWSFLASH "Rocket's Boring"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yes the rockets had a lousy year and yes the rockets were one of the boringest teams to watch this season… (Although I still watched every game I could)… But take a look at why… They were decimated with injuries. The healthy players were never really healthy… meaning mostly Francis… the game of basketball is about rhythm and we never had any not in the games mostly and definitely not in the season.

But let’s not forget this started out as primarily the same team that was one of the most exciting last year… I loved watching the Rockets games and many announcers, including Hubie Brown and Marv Albert said as much… It is why TNT and TBS booked them so frequently this year ( and then proceeded to renege) The Rockets came out strong they were new and hadn’t figured out each other and the offenses but they were playing hard and were winning in the beginning. Their offense was struggling but they played solid defense and managed to win some of those early games and then the injuries….

And this is without Hakeem and Mo taylor and Shandon… Okay so Glen Rice was supposed to e a better addition then Shandon , but it never panned out and in the beginning of the season he was pathetic. He couldn’t shoot and he looked out of shape and slow. And everyone wanted Rudy’s head for ever making a deal… But it was a way out of a promise to Shandon that they felt obligated to keep. They could have just screwed the guy but that is not thier nature.

So it was either sign Shandon or sign and trade him for something… Well they chose Rice because they saw him as someone who could fill, short term, a need until we got something better. And unlike many others, under those circumstances, I thought it was a good deal. In fact I was excited about his acquisition and I thought he would make us a better team… well he didn’t. He never got in a rhythm and then he got injured.

It wasn’nt just Rice and Taylor being injured but Mobley played a third of the season on injured ankles and Francis more often than not was suffering from migraines even when he was playing. ( a game of rhythm Frances never had it) and Williams was out and as much as I’m happy about Griffin, this year was primarily about the guys potential ( he out played every other 19 year old drafted ahead of him ) and Cato struggled the first third of the year before he became adequate (he is still slow).

So we were supposed to run like last year only we had a slow Rice and Walt to replace a horse like Shandon. A slow Cato to replace Hakeem. A “does anybody got an excedrin” Frances to replace last years All STAR Frances ( by the way Frances did not deserve to beat out Payton and Nash… he made it on last years work) , Mobley (Our true mvp this year not Frances) who when his ankles healed was the real deal and Kenny Thomas who did a great job this year and definitely should be a top candidate for most improved player but that being said is not the open court fast break player and finisher that Mo Taylor was and will be if he he returns back.

How could we possibly run with that team how could we do much more than play the way we did… It was a struggle to find out who was going to start on any given night. And by the way while everyone praises the Mavericks and says how we should send our coaches there to watch them and learn. That was us last year. We were a running team that gave most teams fits. We did what Dallas is doing now, last year.

You can argue that all you want but it is true. We shot the three and we pushed it up at every chance. That’s why we got Rice we thought he would still have some speed and he would shoot lights out with our offense. So don’t talk to me about learning something from Dallas. Hell we taught them, only they have more talent than us and can do it better. We taught the league the inside out game when we won our Championships… Rudy is an innovator in this league and most of you are too blind to see it. But you have to have talent to implement systems. And this year we did not have it.

So how do we get better next season? Well for those of you who think Frances has peaked already, the kid hasn’t peaked he actually was better last year than this year. So that means he must have peaked last year only he didn’t and he is 25 and if he gets a grip of these migraines he will play much better than he did last year. Add that with a healthy Mo T and we’ll probably make the playoffs. But that we’ll only get us to the first round were we will quickly be eliminated.

We need to make changes. We need to get back to that running team and we need players that can help us do that. And we have a need for speed at the three. I think the answer is Rashard yes more than Odom (who I like too)… but didn’t you guys watch the Dallas game everyone on their team shoots the three. Rashard is one of the best at it and in spite of what you guys think the guy has a post up game it’s not an Hakeem type post up game but is legit. And he can run and run and he is young.

So ow do we get him, well that’s not for me to decide. But it’s seems easy enough. The kid wants to play here Oelepere said it’s Rashard’s dream. He isn’t going back to Seatle next yearunless he has no other option. So they don’t have a choice either they let Chicago sign him and get nothing or Sign and trade him to Houston and get some first round picks along with rice. Let’s see first round picks and Rice or nothing.

But do we stop there. No. I think we could use a fast back up center to run the court with our other horses for a few minutes a night. He could that be… well Clutch hinted that Kwame Brown was being offered and theWizards like KTwell lets give them KT plus our first 1st pick in exchange for Kwame and their pick. So they get a power forward who can contribute with Jordan right now and another young player maybe Stoudamire who they seem to be high on for the future.

Will they do that. I don’t know but they do seem to be a bit dissillusioned with Kwame… who is still a talent in spite of their feelings. Okay so even if that doesn’t go through than we can sign one of the young free agent centers or trade for Jackson who seems to be just sitting on the pine. And it’s no secret the Wolves are deperate forfirst round draft choices so give them collier and a future first rounder for Marc. But if we do get Kwame then we take Washingtons lottery and our 15th pick and maybe even a future first round with rice and collier or moochie or morris for Rashard.

So are we done yet. No. Use our mid level exception and sign a 2 or a 2/3 veteran with playoff experience a plus to back up those spots. Who is available? Kendall Gill, Lee Nailon, Chris Childs, Eddie House, Michael Redd, Dell Curry, Bryon Russell, Etc. find one that fits our team and wants to play here. Okay so now here is our team

PG – Steve Francis (health is the key)
    SG – Cuttino Mobley
    SF – Rashard Lewis
    PF – Mo Taylor
    C – Kelvin Cato

Bench
    Eddie Griffin
    Kwame Brown (Marc Jackson if we don’t get Kwame)
    Moochie Norris
    Kendall Gill (you pick)
    Terrence Morris
    Oscar Torres

That team will match up with anybody on most nights. I don’t care what anyone says, barring injury that team will make the playoffs and give somebody fits in the first round and the future looks bright.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Old Man !ROCK!

You are right; we own Dallas!!! and Nellie knows it. Playing their game. Ignore Fran!

good read, except you didn't mention the Yao-maker!

3. Holden

Holden Member

i beleive we are very close to being a very exciting team.
    what scared me is frans comment about how eddie griffin is being groomed into the second coming of matt bullard.
    i mean dont you people think eddie griffin will progress into a better player than bullard ever was. anyway its just a scary thought...
    another nice addition, (rashard lewis, Yao Ming) and a nonmigrained steve, and this team is exciting and makes the playoffs.
    and then the new unis, and a new arena...
    and fran will have his foot in his mouth.
    :(

4. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

no way the wiz let brown go like that.

5. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

We had flashes of brilliance in some of the games I watched, but most of the time it was so boring, and it seemed like luck played a big part in any run of success we had short term or long term.

6. jahiro

jahiro Member

you see what I mean rocket fans.

He tries to rain on our parade whenever we come up with deal proposals for brown or odom.

He doesnt want us to get better its obvious.

I know using big blue letters was dumb on my part,but this guy IS ADMITING IN HIS HANDLE THAT HE IS NOT A ROCKETS FAN AND IM SICK OF READING HIS HATRED ALA FRAN TOWARD OUR TEAM.

DAMN IT BANN THIS GUY CALLED NUGZFAN

#6 jahiro, Apr 26, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2002
  7. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Nugzfan,

Stop coming in here and being the voice of reason! Leave us to our fantasy world.:p

;)

8. Jaybird

Jaybird Member

Jahiro is mental :) but on a more serious note, I actually do think the Wizards could pull the trigger on some sort of offer for Brown.

A lot of it depends on what Doug Collins seems to be seeing outside of games. Kwame's basically played well enough down the stretch this season to regain his trading value. He's very Raw but extremely talented. I'm not sure if Jordan wants to wait long enough for him to develop.

How could you not go for basically a very serviceable player, and a redo on last year's pick? This year's draft seems to be a lot stronger overall in my opinion, so Washington doesn't lose that much going from a #1 to maybe a #5. If the Wizards can make a trade that could get them Jason Williams, I think they have to seriously consider it.

9. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

the thing is, i was right. its not an insult to your team but i was.

yeah i dont wnat you to get better. IM the one stopping the rockets. i have all the power. im your gm and what i say actually matters in real life. lol.

thats almost a complement. i think.

i dont hate the rocks. period. they are my 2nd fav team (tied with 27 other teams :))

10. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

but thats no fun! ah comeon. admit it - you like me.

11. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

i could MAYBE see them trading brown but it would have to be a great trade. i mean, you guys view griff as superstar material now, so what do the wiz see brown as?

lets be fair. if we traded on stats, the nugz could get griff for poz and the dallas pick. but theres other factors. other factors that work for brown. right?

12. Jaybird

Jaybird Member

Heh, I live in right outside DC so I should be a Wizards fan, but I'm a Maryland fan more than anything else. As for how everyone sees Kwame.... I don't think consensus Wizards fans see him as great as Rockets fans see Griffin.

In part because Griffin's at least shown a lot more in the season than Kwame has. As for the way the managment views Brown? It's hard to get a gauge. They were pretty discouraged and slightly disappointed durring the late middle of the season. Collins didn't know how to coach him, and made Brown withdrawl even more. He showed great moments as the season ended, but I'm not sure Collins and Jordan have bought into the idea of developing around this kid and waiting the year or 3 it's gonna take for him to bloom.

Frankly I think it's make or break time Washington; they've got some tough choices to make. Do they build around Brown and Hamilton? Brown has enough trade value to move up in the draft, do they make their move for a PG, probably Williams? Do they look to package things for experianced players? Who do they go after with their large ammount of cap space.

They're in a position to make serious offseason moves, but who knows what those moves will include. But if the Rockets can get Brown, I think we'd have to consider it. Rudy's good with rookies and he's too talented to not take a serious look at.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

KT and wherever our number 5 pick lands for Kwame Brown. Why wouldn't the Wizards do that? They would essentially get to redo their draft from last year nad get a player who would be very very productive in the East and playing with MJ. Personally, I 'd say this is too much to give up for Kwame, a player who could turn into the next Tracy McGrady, but is just as likely to turn into the next Joe Smith, or worse.

14. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

From what I've seen (and granted, Brown hasnt played much) the only rookie other than Gasol that I'd give up the 5th pick( if we indeed get it...it could very well be #8) is Chandler...he's shown some flashes that he can put up some decent numbers.

15. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

NJR - you wouldn't give Battier any consideration? Or is this limited to C & PF? The Grizz probably would not do it, but I could see him as a Rocket.

I would think the Rocks need to win sooner than Kwawe's going to be ready.

16. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I love Battier...I was thinking more along the lines of big men though...especially since I think that we could get a guy similar to Battier with that pick (Butler, Woods if he is for real). Nevertheless, Battier would be worth the pick in my opinion. e played 3 or 4 different positions for them this year and he fills the stat sheet like a vet

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Rockets were not boring. Disappointing, yes. Boring, no. The Rocks lead the league in games decide by three points or less. And they had ~10 overtime games.

Interesting trade suggestion wrt Kwane for KT plus swapping the 5/6th and 11th picks. The question is whether Kwane ever becomes a top 10 NBA center. If the Wiz think that he will, they would be brain dead to make this trade. Conversely if the Rocks do not think that he will, the trade is a nonstarter.

The only center left on the board at 5/6th pick may be Stoudamire, who is supposed to be more raw than Kwane. If it comes down to drafting Stoudamire or trading the pick for Kwane, trading may be more of a sure thing since Kwane is more of a known quantity.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Kwame Brown 2001-2002 statistics:

FG% - .387
    FT% - .707
    RPG - 3.50
    APG - 0.8
    SPG - 0.28
    BPG - 0.46
    PPG - 4.5

If he is a known quantity, it is that he is known for not having done much at all in his one year of play.

19. knifejc

knifejc Member

To me the Rockets have always been boring even during their championship years. To me it was boring and frustrating to watch them throw the ball down low to Hakeem(even with all his dipsy doodles, spin moves, ball fakes, dream shake, etc, it got old) while the other 4 players just stood around and whiched...back then i use to wonder what it would take to get a cutter.

But even though it was boring I and other put up with it because they were winning. Nah i think we have some of the pieces to being an exciting time now, but i can't put my finger on what we're missing

20. Howyalikemenow

It's easy to put your finger on why we're boring, and yes, I love Rudy, but his style of coaching is horribly boring. Whether it's throw it down to the Dream and wait for a 3, now it's let the guards penatrate and throw it out for a 3. His belief in the inside - outside style of play is what makes Rockets games boring. It's when the kids run and gun and have some transition that gives some life to the game.

The Rockets could easily be a team like Dallas and run up and down the court, but they're not given the reigns.