1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

News On Cat from Fox 26

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jul 17, 2000.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Are you saying it is not cold in Toronto?

Toronto is no colder than New York or Detroit. Honestly, if Mobley was going to either of those places instead of Toronto, would people be whining about the weather? No, of course not.

It's a common stereotypical view that most Americans have.

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel-boy.

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Carter does not have an opt out clause for free agency, the Raptors hold that right, and I'm pretty sure they'll exercise it.

------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.
    Collier is Seven Foot and Left Handed. How can you go wrong?
    Trade or bench Kenny Thomas.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Im sure some people would still complain abot the weather. When poeple explain why places like Orlando, and even to an extent, Houston, are so popular, weather is an issue brought up and they are American cities. Toronto just doesnt have the market size of a NY or Chicago. Since they have those in thier favor, weather is not ofetn brought up. Take Minnesota on the other hand, people are always saying..."Why would osmeone want to go play in the freezing cold of Minnesota"...and that kinda thing.

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

On Canadian Taxes: There is only a slight tax penalty for playing in Canada. See the following from the CBA FAQ #54:

...However, they did add an extra regulation to help neutralize the tax disadvantage of the Canadian teams. All teams are
    permitted to offer a bonus of up to 25% (see the previous question). The key point is that for U.S. residents in Canada, this
    bonus is taxed at just 15%. Using this bonus, the Canadian teams can nearly achieve tax neutrality.

I was just in Toronto this last weekend and I should have brought a jacket. However, nothing can be colder than Chicago in winter -- not to my comprehension.

That said, I'm not at all afraid of Toronto. I don't think Mobley could really find it more attractive. He can't get more minutes there because he already plays starter minutes here. He's also already the second option here and can take as many shots as he likes. What Toronto can offer is not a 'big-money contract.' It is at most a 6 million to start contract compared to the Rockets' 4 million. Plus, they'll have to renounce a few FAs to do it, so Mobley would have less help when he arrived. If it was Chicago or some other deep-pocketed team, I might get worried. If Toronto makes some trades that clears cap space, I might get worried. But right now I'm not worried.

------------------
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary

http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

5. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Does this mean that if Mobes goes Drew stays or does Rudy sign Rodrick Rhodes who he was so high on before, waived by the Mavericks today?

------------------
    One minute ago you had 60 seconds longer to live then you have now. Did you enjoy the 60 seconds you just had? [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by No Chance (edited July 18, 2000).]

6. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Cuttino can say all he wants, but I still feel he will stay in Houston. Of course, its ultimately up to him, but the Rockets have done a lot for him. They signed him as a second rounder and gave him a chance to prove himself. He got valuable playing time on an aging, contending team, and started at PG for most of his rookie season. He's been touted as part of the core for the Rockets' very bright future, and the Rockets have provided him with an environment in which he has flourished. Also, his frienship with Stevie and the others is something that cannot be fabricated. But of course, loyalty in sports has little meaning these days, it is after all, a business. Anything could happen.

As for Canada and cold weather, of course it can get frigid up here in the winter. But to a lot of you, something that is cold to you is pleasant to us notherners. Our defination of cold is the arctic, yours may be if the thermometer dips below 60. Likewise, your defination of hot is a tad different than ours. Different people have different tolerance levels. I enjoy having 4 different seasons, watching the leaves turn orange and yellow in the fall, or seeing the flowers bloom after the last snowfall. I could not imagine life without skiing, snowboarding, skating or any other winter activity that is a part of our culture. Cuttino is from Philly, which isn't all that much warmer than T-dot. You say its cold because it snows here, but doesn't a greater portion of the States get snowfall? As for Vancouver, saying its cold is like saying Houston isn't humid. Its incredibly rainy in Grizzlieland, but not cold. I totally respect you as poster DaDakota, I guess I'm a little sick of some of the misconceptions and generalizations constantly made on Canada. We often get overlooked by Americans as those eskimos that live somewhere near the arctic and pay high taxes. Well, the last part is true. [​IMG]

------------------
    We don't live for the destination. We live for the journey.

7. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Hey Azim,

Give us more credit than that. We don't really think it's cold until the temp reaches 50 degrees. [​IMG]

As far as Cat going to Toronto,more power to him. I wish the players had more fan loyalty, but most of them don't and that's life in big business. This is the point where most young people make choices that will determine their careers. I'll be sad if he leaves, but I'll wake up tomorrow, stretch,look outside, and see another glorious day with unlimited opportunities.

IMO Cat is, at this time, just a very good role player. He brings instant offense off the bench, which we & every other team in the NBA needs, but his defense & team play are IMO very weak. Maybe by going to another team, he will be able to further develop his game. Similar to Cassell. While he gets starter minutes on this team, he'll never be a starter. And as has been mentioned previously, he does have a rather large ego. If he chooses to go, then I believe it won't be just for the money, because he can get that here, but to further develop his game & more importantly, start.

As for the cold temps, 6 mill will buy you a pretty warm coat. [​IMG]

Also, I guess Drew will still have a job here.

------------------

8. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Ok first off McGrady didn't even start in Toronto, Christy did. So I guess Christy is leaving also because I don't see Christy sitting on the bench. If Mobes leaves I hope he has the common decency to tell the organization now so we can get into discussions with Dereck Anderson or Mercer.

2nd I just couldn't resist this one..... Webber better than KG in any category????
    I don't think so. KG was the 2nd best player in the league last year behind Shaq. So although we have no chances of getting Garnett, he is by far the better player between Webber and he. Now Wallace and Webber I would rather take Webber. Both are head cases but one less than the other [​IMG]

------------------
    "We need to fockass".....Dream back in the day