1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

News On Cat from Fox 26

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jul 17, 2000.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Cat will make his decision between Toronto and Houston on August 1. The main issue is money b/c Toronto can offer more but the Rockets are familiar and he likes it here.

He said, "It is hard for him not to take the money and go with Toronto, but it is hard to leave Shandon, Steve and the coaching staff."

He said that Vince Carter and Steve Francis have been calling him every day trying to get him to play with them.

"It is 50/50." Again, he said he will make his decision August 1, the first day of free agent signings.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

2. wink3

wink3 Member

Screw VC!! He's got some financial problems of his own!

------------------
    I'm not clumsy, I just have to know my surroundings.

3. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

man jeff i thought you were going to be on fox news sports tonight? you beat me every time lol...at 9:53 i posted fox sports news story about mobley then to see that at 9:52 you posted the same thing....i guess it's good that we all watch the news [​IMG]

------------------
    Shane
    "Save Our Rockets"
    "Life without basketball in Houston........without an arena that is what it will be"

4. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

haha and rocketball beat us both posting at 9:51..we're getting slow

------------------
    Shane
    "Save Our Rockets"
    "Life without basketball in Houston........without an arena that is what it will be"

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Too many taxes in Canada, they would have to offer him 6 million to equal 4 here.

Plus it is really cold up there.

If he does leave, I don't have a problem rooting against him.

DaDakota

------------------

6. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

It didn't look good. He mentioned how he didn't want to let down Pig, Steve, Shandon, Moochie, etc but that he also would love to play with Vince. And that Steve calls all the time but Vince does too. Carter got to choose and he chose Mobes. Then, when Berman asked about Houston's willingness to give him the ball, he said Lenny Wilkens has said he would give him the same freedom and he was honored that the winningnest coach of all time would say that. It sounded more like 75/25 to me, especially with him saying "I don't know how I can turn down the money because I don't know if I'll be as wanted in the future." Well, then get Croshere this year and Lewis next year, and you're looking at a lineup of Francis, Anderson, Lewis, Croshere, Cato, without Cuttino complaining about minutes.

I would've beat all of you to it but my computer f***ed up and I had to disconnect from the internet.

------------------

7. alaskansnowman

Yeah Cat is right when he says, "I'm not sure how much I'll be wanted in the future."

The reason that he is so sought after is becuz he's so young. He's got a nice shot and a great drive, but the reason it's so great is becuz he's young and he's very fast. When he's older, he wont have the same lightning quickness and he'll have to depend on his shot more, therefore his stock will be lowered.

I guess that it's really unsure about Mobley right now. I always thought that Mobley was a sure thing... I really hope we get him. He's so crucial to our rebuilding process. He's the reason why our bench is so good. With Cuttino, our bench will average a consistent 25 to 35 points a game(16-20 points from cuttino, and the rest from the others). But at the same time, Mobes has to do whatever is best for him. [​IMG]

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

8. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

It is possible that Cuttino is bluffing in order to get into the Houston starting lineup. You can bet it will be offered to get him to turn down Toronto, unless the Rox have other plans and don't want to sacrifice too much to get him.

But when he said he was scared about being wanted, he seemed to be talking about the next few years, which is very confusing to me.

------------------

9. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

i dunno i guess it depends on the situation.....mobley has not yet had a big contract..would you blame him for wanting to get one? he could be injured down the road etc....but this contract could set him up for life... of course we all think who cares w hen it comes to millions but would you turn down big money this early in your career? when your older and have made all your money it's differnt but mobley is young and hasn't had that big contract yet...i think it's great when players take less but then again how can you blame them for wanting the most they can get? most people would leave a job they have had for 20 years for double the pay and all mobley would be doign is leaving a job of 2 years

------------------
    Shane
    "Save Our Rockets"

10. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Cuttino don't go ... Vince is just kissing up because PUMA just won a 13.5 mil settlement against him and his broke and wants you to sign so he can borrow a few mill from you... Well it could be worst, he has narrowed his choices down to 2 teams and we are still one of them... but it's not just about the money anymore... he will get more playing time, aa chnce to start and a players coach in Lenny. Maybe he'll realize he will never be anything more than Vince's sidekick. Hell even Vince doesn't want to be in Toronto. He has already said he will excercise his option to end his contract next year. Tracy McGrady didn't want to stay along with half the Vets. And I know Cats got to do the right thing for himself but realistically it looks like staying is it. Where else our you going to find players that get along with you so well and coaches that apreciate you and want to allow you to play your kind of game. Here's to hoping you see it my way Cat!

------------------

11. DaneB

DaneB Member

This sucks! Mobley screwed us. We could have easily gotten Courtney Alexander, but we didnt want to upset Mobes. Now Mobes is deserting his best friend to go play with Vince. I cant believe what Im hearing. If we lose Mobes, who else do we have? Croshere wont play for us. Maybe we could get Rashard instead and Croshere with the money we could have offered Mobley.

------------------
    The clock is winding down, and Scottie has the ball, Cato is sprinting towards him, Pippen shoots and here comes Cato. Man did you see that block?!!! Ouch it hit Scottie right between the legs. ITS FINAL!! THE ROCKETS ARE THE CHAMPIONS OF Y2K!!!

12. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Plus it is really cold up there.

Yeah, plus, he'll have to live in an igloo and ride a dogsled to each game. Well, at least he'll have a lot of native fans in the Indian Settlement of Toronto. I hear they're going to pay him with beads.

[​IMG] Get real. Toronto isn't cold at all. Stop stereotyping.

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel-boy.

13. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Really I will be dissapointed if Cuttino leaves, not because he is a good player but the way he is leaving. Houston passed up Courtney Alexander, a player they could of taken just to see if mobley was going to stay or not. Rockets didnt take him to show mobley that they care for him and want him back and now cuttino is doing this. This doesnt look good at all.

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Wow, DaneB. I think I just found a picture of you. It was in the dictionary right beside the word "overreact". It also said, "Also see 'pessimist'".

[​IMG]

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This is ridiculous. What a terrible display of loyalty. Like everyone's said, we could have had Courtney Alexander, and to show Mobley how much we cared for him here we passed Courtney up. Then he does this. Ridiculous. He wouldn't go up there with Pip, but I sure would boo him big time on his return home next season if he did this.

------------------
    Member of the pro-Collier/Langhi movement. IN RUDY WE TRUST!!

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited July 17, 2000).]

16. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

I think Mobley has already made up his mind. I have no idea what that decision is, but if he has decided to return to Houston, he has staged it brilliantly. What better way to portray yourself as the returning loyalist than to put it out before the fact that you will be turning down multi-millions to stay in town. He will be showered with admiration if he stays for less and his departure will be completely understood if he is blown away by Toronto's offer. The best of both worlds.

------------------

17. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

what a mangy stray cat.

maybe you could give it a home Jeff.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

18. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Cuttino should know that if he does go to Toronto he will have to get use to shooting the ball 5 times a game.

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

19. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Member

Courtney Alexander
    Courtney Alexander
    Courtney Alexander

Quit it already! It's way past draft day & not close enough to August 1st to be crying & moaning about passing on Alexander.
    If Alexander was THE solid back up plan for a possible Mobley walk away.
    I think the Rockets would have taken him as an easy way out.

I hate hearing about how the Rockets passed on Courtney Alexander. If they really wanted him because they believed he was destine for greatness they would have took him @ 9. BUT THEY DID NOT

------------------
    Courtney Alexander must die so that the BBS may find peace

20. DannyC1005

DannyC1005 New Member

I heard a qutoe on Cat saying that he will never be a star or get his due playing next to Francis. But I don't think he could get any mention of his name playing next to Carter. The "half-man half-amazing" is a media grabber regardless if they win games. It will take alot to over shadow him. I watch the rocks as much as I can, and went to 2 games the past couple of years and plan to see more next season. The spirit that Cat shows on the court is amazing. You can tell the flow with the other team mates, and you realize that beyond the competion of the game, he is having a great time, playing with some great guys. 98-99 season Staring as a rookie among 3 of the most recognizable names in the nba, was a challenge that he didn't back down. Cat belongs in Houston. He expressed loyalty to the coaching staff in houston, has anyone told him how Butch Carter was Fired by management?