1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Zealand to Ban all Military Style Semi Automatic Weapons Immediately

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Mar 21, 2019.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Interesting.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Obviously part of the issue with gun rights in this country is our history of breaking from England. I don't think any other country is so adamant about gun rights

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Manufacturing and selling deadly weapons at home and abroad is in our DNA, it seems. Hard to change that.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  4. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Wow, that's awesome...wish we could do something as expeditious here.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Don't always agree with AOC, but...

[​IMG]

No Worries likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's what authoritarianism looks like. Unilateral imposition of a value on an entire population.

Happily in the United States there are those pesky constitutional rights that provide an opportunity for debate and discussion prior to taking such action.

7. NewRoxFan

Universal background checks is an "unilateral imposition of a value" on an entire population? And... what "value" are you saying is being imposed? I am also curious where in the U.S. Constitution does it say anything about universal background checks?

I think a more correct example of authoritarianism would be threatening late night comedy shows with the FCC because they make are making fun of the president, but hey, you haven't had a chance to post a meme lately...

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  8. rage

rage Member

Debate and discussion? How many more years do you need to do that? How much blood do you need? Deplorable is actually the correct term for you guys.

R0ckets03 and malakas like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

stay focused NRF. AOC wrote "within days New Zealand acted to get weapons of war out of the consumer market." that's what I am responding to. :rolleyes:

10. NewRoxFan

AOC reported on what New Zealand did and contrasted that with what the U.S. government hasn't been able to do (pass universal background checks, a bill that passed by the Democratic-led House).

Again, support your position that is an example of authoritarianism, or that it violates the U.S. Constitution.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That was almost 250 years ago. Probably time to get over it. Also, we won.

biff17 and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

geez . . . if that is a direct command without the courtesy at least of a "please" or some kind of question mark, I will refuse and tell you politely (with all due respect) to go to hell. ;)

@NewRoxFan you are not the boss of me. honestly I simply don't get where you seem to think you have a right to demand anything from me or any other poster here.

Please change your act, and I may consider responding to you with genuine respect. But right now you really haven't earned my respect.

Astrodome likes this.
  13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

New Zealand is New Zealand, we here in the states will not see any major gun law reform as long as there is still GOP as one of the two major parties.

14. NewRoxFan

I made a "command" or a "demand" of you (or others)? I am a "boss" of you? And I need to worry about whether you "respect" me or whether I need to earn your respect? You really want to go there?

Best suggestion I can make is to put me on "Ignore" if you don't want me challenging your statements, especially misstatements. That way you won't be My guess is you post on other discussion forums, likely right wing discussion boards, where everyone simply nods their heads and says "ditto" after each of your posts. This forum isn't one of those.

But hey, if you choose to read my posts and not respond to me...

[​IMG]

biff17 likes this.
  15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The only point im making is that this is the main issue with gun rights, guns for protection of freedom

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I get that. But it's probably time we, as a country, stop using that as an excuse to not modernize our laws.

pgabriel likes this.
  17. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

no you don't. it should be very hard to take away peoples' liberties.

18. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Yeah I would typically say that, but when the liberty is used overwhelmingly more for killing innocent people than for protecting...I don't really think it's a good liberty to have. I love our constitution and how our government is constructed to resist knee jerk movements, but I don't think it's infallible. To each his own.

biff17 likes this.
  19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

As a strict constitutionalist, I believe that I have a right to bear a musket (and a right to have as many slaves as I need to pick my cotton).

#20 No Worries, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    mdrowe00 likes this.