1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New York Makes Another Move to Clear Cap Space (Pending)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by CheezeyBoy22, Feb 19, 2009.

1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

POSTED: Feb. 19 -- 1:17 p.m. ET

Marc Stein: Word is coming in that the Knicks are closing in on some new players.

It is not immediately clear if this would be two separate trades or a three-way exchange, but I'm hearing that Oklahoma City's Chris Wilcox -- who went back to the Thunder on Wednesday night when the Tyson Chandler trade was rescinded -- and Chicago's Larry Hughes are New York-bound.

To complete the transaction(s), Oklahoma City would get Malik Rose and Chicago would receive Tim Thomas, Jerome James and Anthony Roberson.

Trying to nail it all down for you.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=TradeTalkRoundup-090218

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I'm thinking the Knicks want to make a playoff push. Going for that 8th spot. They have been playing well recently anyway.

3. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

i thought that tim thomas would fit better with d'antoni, but i guess wilcox will do?

he's athletic and can run.

4. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Wilcox comes right off the books this year. This is a move so they can sign either David Lee or Nate Robinson. I bet that they are about to make another trade with one of those guys going out.

5. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

What else would OKC be getting? Is there a reason to trade an expiring contract for an expiring contract? :confused:

Or would it just be a move to help make nicey-nice to other GMs?

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

they went 9-7 in January but were on a 6 game losing streak before they beat the Spurs in Overtime.

9 games under .500 and in the 11th spot, 3.5 out of 8th equals playing well recently?

7. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Malik Rose makes about a $1mil more so it just helps out their cap space for next year. OKC is gonna have a lot of draft picks for this year's draft. They want to make sure they have enough money to sign or make a big trade come this off season. Very smart move for those guys.

8. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

How does this save the Knicks any cap space?

9. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Both are expiring THIS year though. That only means they'd have to spend more money this year.

10. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

The Knicks have lost a lot of close games this year. They are playing better and I don't really think they want to be in the lottery come this year. They don't want to spend any money till 2010. With the cap shrinking for the next two years, they don't want to pick up anything that would hender them for 2010.

11. redao

redao Member

Hughes Traded To Knicks

Feb 19, 2009 1:36 PM EST

The Chicago Bulls have re-acquired Tim Thomas, and once again from the New York Knicks.

According to the Chicago Tribune, the Bulls have sent Larry Hughes to New York in exchange for Thomas, Jerome James and Anthony Roberson.

Thomas had previously been traded from New York to Chicago as part of the Eddy Curry trade, but that did not turn out too well for either side, with Thomas asked to stay away until the Bulls finally bought out his contract.

12. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Malik has a bigger contract sooo it's more money coming off the books. It makes perfect sense for them to do this.

13. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

Marc Stein: Hopefully you've seen all the clarifications on New York's moves.

The Knicks have swung two deals.

No. 1: Tim Thomas, Jerome James and Anthony Roberson to Chicago for Larry Hughes.

No. 2: Malik Rose and cash to Oklahoma City for Chris Wilcox.

Just over an hour to go before the trade buzzer sounds . . .

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=TradeTalkRoundup-090218

14. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

sorry for repost. my bad. If I could delete I would.

15. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

No. 2: Malik Rose and cash to Oklahoma City for Chris Wilcox.

Money coming off the books that they wouldn't have had on the books if they didn't trade for him! :rolleyes: It is like me taking 6 bucks from you and being happy that I gave you 5 back, simply because I gave you 5 dollars.

It made absolutely no sense for OKC to do it without something else. Cash is that something.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Doesnt this leave the knicks with like 7 people on their active roster? Spike Lee might be suiting up soon.

17. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

They don't have to pay the LT on cash considerations. That move probably saved them a mill or so.

18. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Thank you! It will save them at least a $1million.

Oh and what do you know? The Knicks are talking to the Kings about moving Nate Robinson.

Could the Knicks make three deals today? Sources say the Kings have offered Kenny Thomas for Nate Robinson and Jared Jeffries. If the Knicks could move Jeffries, it would clear another $6.8 million in the summer of 2010. The Knicks would have to give up the talented Robinson and eat Thomas' $8.7 million salary next year ... but it's probably worth it to the Knicks. Especially now that they've shored up their offense with the Larry Hughes and Chris Wilcox deals.

19. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

OKC is under the LT. The trade (without cash) only makes them lose more money.

20. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

larry hughes + marbury + plaxico burress + new york city = fun stories