1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[New York Daily News] Nets want Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HOUSTONROCKETS5, Feb 22, 2011.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Lopez, favors, draft picks. I don't care

Hell I'll take Harris

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Clutch, Bima: thanks for the calrification. I was under the impression that Scola's BYC value counts for both teams -- but apparently it only counts for the Rockets. How strange. Thanks for the responses.

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Maybe we can trade Williams back to them. Call it a do-over.

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Harris is just a bigger version of Brooks. No thanks! Lopez I kind of don't want. We don't need another big who can't rebound. Favors I am definitely interested in if we have a chance of getting him. Maybe a three way trade to get Iggy/Crash and Favors?

5. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

If they want him that bad, they can give us Favors w/out giving up Scola. If we can pull that off ... man o man ...

Got to keep Martin, Scola, & Lowry. If so, we pull off a move in favor of both short and long term future.

Get R Done!

6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Brook Lopez for Aaron Brooks straight up sounds like a big phat dream! I would be so pumped. Then after that we can trade Lee, Battier for some good/better players or not but after this trade I wouldn't even care we got us a center baby!

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I doubt they will give up one of their big men for Brooks.

But, it is time for Morey to make a big splash, 2 more days of this. My god!

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No problem. Yep, THAT is why BYC status makes trades so hard to make.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Something along the lines of brooks and scola for favors is fine with me.

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've also been in the camp of rebuilding, so I'm ecstatic that we're talking to the Nets.

Favors and/or picks would be nice .....don't want Outlaw, don't think Lopez is gettable, and though Harris would be REALLY nice he is older and probably doesn't fit in with a rebuild.

I think AB is probably going to have a heck of a career, but with the contract/injury questions, moving him now for some youth with bigtime potential is all good.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

While I agree he's at rock bottom, he is also a free agent. The Rockets are in the unfortunate position of knowing EXACTLY what his value is, whereas there may be teams under the cap in need of a PG willing to overpay. Consider the offer Lowry got from the Cavs last year as an example.

So now we're stuck with either two likely overpaid borderline starting PG's (and I know, everyone is either a huge Brooks or Lowry guy, but cmon, both these guys are solid solid players but certainly don't start on more than half the teams in the league, if that)...OR, losing Brooks for nothing.

Heck, trading him for Sasha, which certainly sounds laughable, at this point really isn't that horrible a trade. Since joining the Nets, Sasha hasn't exactly been on fire or anything, but is a decent 3 point shooter and we all know can be an effective pest of a defender. He's been playing better than Brooks, who now has one great year under his belt but that's about it, and has reverted to an undersized, poor distributor point guard, completely dependent on his ability to score...which clearly varies widely depending on the month. Plus he's malcontent.

I loved Brooks of last year...but, that was last year.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be okay with keeping AB, too, and hoping/believing last year is more the norm, but I'm not sold on that yet.

As for Harris, as compared to Brooks...yes, Devin continues to suffer as a shooter, but he nonetheless continues to be a solid distributor, grabs over a steal a game, has the height that Brooks lacks that is a factor defensively.

Don't like his contract, not saying we need him, but he is not as bad as some are making him out to be, and would be an upgrade to our PG position currently.

right, which is why something like Scola, Brooks and Ming for Murphy, Harris and Favors works...if you thought it was a good trade. I imagine more likely DM would try and utilize a third team under the cap, though.

12. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Can you believe that ??

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

#93 crash5179, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

It's not that horrible. It's EXTREMELY horrible. Trading Brooks for Sasha amounts to giving him away for free. Why on Earth would we do that? At the least, get a 1st round pick for him.

15. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Id love to have Harris just because he has always been one of my favorite players.... However, we don't really need him!

Id MUCH rather send brooks in a GWall or (hopefully) Nene deal

16. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Derrick Favors.

The dude is just 19 years old. We will not be a threat to any team by the end of this year or next anyway. Why not push hard for D. Favors. He is a gifted athlete.

He is also a hard working player that has been very patient with himself. He is not having the rookie season everyone wanted, but the dude has been a professional.

17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You are a cruel man. And absolutely correct.

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The explanation of BYC is spot on.

However, I don't think it would be as difficult as you might think. We have the Ariza trade exception of $6.3 M that would actually make the logistics very workable. The only downside would be breaking up the exception into smaller chunks, potentially -- to me, a chance to acquire a potential superstar like Favors is worth that cost!

In a hypothetical Scola for Favors from above, for example, we could add Kris Humphries, Sasha Vujacic, Anthony Morrow, Jordan Farmar, or Johan Petro under the exception, and the deal would work. [This is not suggesting a Scola for Favors+ deal makes sense...only that trading Scola actually wouldn't be all that difficult].

Essentially, we can trade the $8M of Scola fairly easily for a pair of $4 M players (or a 5M and a 3M, or a 6M and a 2M). The hardest deal would be to trade him straight up for another player making $8M.

2 people like this.
  19. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Can anyone tell if the 2012 HOU 1st which the rockets sent to NJ in the Williams trade, protected?

20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Brooks and Scola for Lopez and a pick?