1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Type of Dunk Contest

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by wizkid83, Feb 18, 2017.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

The best dunks are when some one gets posterized, how about we do teams 3 vs. 1. You get 12 participants every year.

One ball, three players get to try and dunk, one guy on the other team trying to stop them (but can't foul).

Might be a little hard to get participants given how dangerous it is but personally, that'd be awesome to me.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

are you proposing we have multiple players on the court trying to dunk simultaneously while they put j-lin under the basket trying to stop them?

3. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

More like a 3 on 1 Fast Break. You get 24 seconds to dunk on some one and make look pretty.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I get a little bored with all the prop dunks, lob dunks, and jump-over-people dunks..

I'd like a return to something more classic. Just throw down your best dunks without the use of props or other people.

5. StevieCrossover

add in a trampoline and have them do flips

6. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

They need to do something lol I think it's honestly so boring because no stars compete.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This.

This is why the dunks suck IMO. If you are jumping over someone it limits what you can do in the air and with your legs...so just stop it.

Every dunk is some kind of prop now.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

StevieCrossover likes this.
  9. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

It would also help if some of the bigger name players participated in the contest. In the end, though there is only so much you can do to make the dunk contest better since we've pretty much seen every type of dunk there is 100 times over.

I think they should do a HORSE type theme next year, where each player gets a chance to do a dunk without the use of props and the other players have to complete it in order to score points in the round. If the first guy misses then it goes to the next guy, etc. I think this would get rid of some of the recent monotony of the whole thing and allow them to get rid of props.

CallMeTheDream likes this.
  10. StevieCrossover

I remember the dunk contest when Vince Carter put his arm in the rim. Now today, they would have to be 2 arms in the rim to impress me.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Nah, there's still a ton of dunks that haven't been done there.

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. Tha_Dude

How many of those dudes are playing in the NBA right now?

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Only DJ, but my point was to show that you're wrong about nearly all kinds of dunks being already done in the NBA contest.

I feel like LaVine and Gordon were the only guys that really watched YouTube highlights and tried to emulate these dunks, here's a nice article about it:
    http://ballislife.com/the-inspiration-behind-zach-lavine-aaron-gordons-2016-nba-dunk-contest-dunks/

It really sucks how a lot of participants nowadays don't prepare enough, guys like GR III, Jones Jr, Griffin and others could've done amazing dunks if they actually tried.

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. Tha_Dude

Yeah, but you have to understand that NBA players don't spend very much time perfecting circus type dunks everyday. They practice on other more important things. Guys who dedicate themselves to the art of dunking can certainly come up with more creative stuff and pull it off better too. I think many of the dunk artists I saw in that video would likely win the NBA dunk contest, the only problem is that they aren't NBA players, see?

Sort of like those dudes who can throw the basketball 40 feet off a rooftop and make it into the hoop 5 stories down. Those guys aren't NBA players, either. But they have plenty of time to craft what they do and practice it. Most NBA players cannot compete with them on these circus style tricks, either.

When it comes to NBA players, there is only so much you can expect because these guys don't spend hour upon hours in the gym thinking about creative dunks nor do they practice them. Dunk artists, such as the ones in your video are more specialized because they practice and design these things on a daily basis.

Common Sense, Yung-T. I think you're just trying to nit pick my post here, the same way Harden critics nit pick his turnovers.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Some of the best dunks are in game dunks - most of Lebron's dunks

Y'all cannot do everything on a staged court

Some are just game changing dunks, shifting the momentum toward a team's favor.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dunno how much time the average NBA pro baller spends his time on the web and youtube, so I cannot say they have your access to these new dunks.

Maybe they just watch highlight reels from dunk legends.

The third has done couple of dunks that are 'safe' dunks to get him the points he needed.

He knew exactly that it was not the best jury, they give out a lot of 9s and 10s.

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not trying to nitpick at all, but guys like LaVine, Gordon and Jones Jr. have clearly watched them and also had enough time to master some of these dunks. Jones sadly didn't do it this year, but him and GR III could certainly do it next year, now that they are basically guaranteed participants next year.

Those dunks aren't comparable to extremely difficult trick shots and as you mentioned, the experts already designed the dunks, so there's no need to spend hours on coming up with something new. When you're at an athletic and coordinative level as the NBA players I mentioned, it's not that difficult to prepare something of that scale for a contest. They even regularly do some high-quality stuff in warmups and practices, you can check it on Youtube.

That said, it definitely takes time and Gordon already mentioned that he can't do it again next year because of the time aspect, so you're right in that regard. But it should still be possible to at least do 2-3 of the new dunks instead of coming up with something on the fly during the contest, it's just terrible preparation.

I am a Donut likes this.
  18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

As I and the article said, some of them definitely do it and have shown off Youtube dunks.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What do you think about the popular internet vote by fans?.... I guess it got abolished this year?

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That vote was a terrible idea in my opinion and ended up in the most popular guy winning. The judges actually got it right this year and I don't have any complaints on the voting process itself (although Shaq messed up last year by giving Gordon a 9 and making him lose).