1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New trial opens the spotlight on the darkest parts of America's experiments with torture

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Apr 24, 2016.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Your "negative to positive ratio" is currently registering a reading of infinity. So your words ring hollow.

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

1) Keeping the topic on me shows me you have nothing to say in the defense of policies you once supported. Telling. Nothing to say about mass torture rings. Nothing to say about torturing innocents. Nothing to say about prisoners without trial.

But hey, if you're going to give the thread a free bump--

I was very positive when Obergefell v Hodges defended fundamental rights for Americans who had been persecuted without legitimate state interest. That is what America is all about, not torture that violates the law and that never sees the light of judicial day .

So, might want to readjust your biased radar, Mr. "When It's About The Person, You Lose" Texxx--there's at least one positive incident, and I can name more! :)

I'm very happy with what America is becoming.

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's hilarious how the beta intern keeps begging people to leave the thread when they expose him.

1 person likes this.
  4. Northside Storm

DELETE, double post

5. Northside Storm

Just to get back to what people are uncomfortably squirming about:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-fg-torture-report-20141210-story.html

well, they got apathy instead, so there's that.

lol WUT?

oh we meant to torture Muslim #434533, not #111343! Wait who da f**k is this dude?

So much for the end that justifies the means. Sheer incompetence and brutality. If you cannot question this blatant abuse of government power, forever hold your peace, I suppose on all government excess.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yeah, this is bad and should stop. It just helps the forces of evil on the other side.

7. Exiled

Exiled Member

Just when I thought it's impossible to find crazier than you, I was wrong,
    you are an amateur in comparison to these CIA interrogation officers.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That first sentence applies to all threads in D&D, I think. Its rare to see a positive story here, regardless of the affiliation of the poster. Its not as interesting to "debate and discuss" the good things.

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

24 was a fictional tv show.

10. Northside Storm

There is no accountability and transparency in this system, and the American people are being misled because of it.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/mar/30/most-americans-support-torture-terror-suspects/

http://www.progressive.org/news/2013/04/181887/long-last—-truth-about-us-torture

Do the American people know the excess of government power they are so willing to give away?

https://www.hrw.org/node/283564

No more excuses.

11. Northside Storm

Maybe this is why the Taliban seem to be gaining in strength and popularity, and never seem to fade away...

https://www.hrw.org/news/2015/03/03/afghanistan-abusive-strongmen-escape-justice

12. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/TransparencyandOpenGovernment

Transparency and Open Government

Memorandum for the Heads of Executive Departments and Agencies
    SUBJECT: Transparency and Open Government

My Administration is committed to creating an unprecedented level of openness in Government. We will work together to ensure the public trust and establish a system of transparency, public participation, and collaboration. Openness will strengthen our democracy and promote efficiency and effectiveness in Government.

Government should be transparent. Transparency promotes accountability and provides information for citizens about what their Government is doing. Information maintained by the Federal Government is a national asset. My Administration will take appropriate action, consistent with law and policy, to disclose information rapidly in forms that the public can readily find and use. Executive departments and agencies should harness new technologies to put information about their operations and decisions online and readily available to the public. Executive departments and agencies should also solicit public feedback to identify information of greatest use to the public.

This memorandum shall be published in the Federal Register.

BARACK OBAMA

13. Northside Storm

As I have always maintained, the secret War on Terror, the kill lists and mass torture will always be a s**tstain on the Obama legacy. The only slight difference I'd like to point out is that the worst excesses seemed to have slowed--though Obama refusing to prosecute the Bushies responsible for those is another sign of his weakness on this issue.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, that's not why.

That's the leftist narrative that tries to create the impression that everything evil done against the USA is "just a reaction" to the USA's (or Israel's, or the Mossad's) wrongdoing.

That narrative is at the same time unfair to the Taliban and the people of Afghanistan and Pakistan - because it treats them as mere Pavlov's dogs who couldn't even be evil based on their own initiative and thinking, but only as a reaction to the USA (or Israel, or the Mossad) and to the USA - because the truth is, some ideologies do not care about whatever the USA do - they can instill hate just by themselves.

15. Northside Storm

The fact that the Taliban exists and once took power is evidence that there's enough hate to go around, but the fact they can still stick around might have to do with the mass abuses endorsed by American forces.

Though it should be remembered that the Taliban, as late as the very early bits of the 2000s, were still funded and embraced by America.

Really, at the end of the day, it's the people of Afghanistan who are suffering the consequences of "grand ideological wars". I don't know what could be more unfair than to have them be killed and tortured with impunity.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Certainly it is very sad that innocent people suffer. The flipside of the coin is that the Taliban could not exist without significant support from the general population. Many people in the general population and the Taliban are tied together through jointly held beliefs and ideology - connected tissue.

I don't believe in the "mass abuses" narrative. I have friends who served there, and they certainly deny any such systematic alleged "mass abuse". You should be more careful with such accusations. Individual transgressions? Maybe. "Mass abuses"? No. Another data point: The Taliban also came back strong in Helmand, where the American forces were not in charge, but the German Bundeswehr, and where no such accusations of alleged mass abuse by German soldiers exist. If your theory was true that the Taliban's resurgence is just due to alleged "mass abuses", then why would they come back just as strong in areas where the American soldiers weren't even in charge?

17. Northside Storm

https://www.afghanistan-analysts.or...eports-afghan-forces-still-torturing-afghans/

*individual transgressions* that systematically cover 1/3 of all prisoners?

:confused:

As for Helmand--

The damage has already probably been done.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Did you even read the links you quickly googled yourself? Why are you pretending that all this alleged torture is being done by Americans? :confused:

It sounds more like an overall much lower standard of human rights in that country, not only (obviously) on the side of the Taliban, but also on the side of their opponents.

You should rather ask yourself the question if that is only caused by "cultural" or "socio-economic" causes or also by the religious ideology 99 % of people follow there.