1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Starting Line-Up [Discussion Thread]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Feb 26, 2018.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

So, how are we liking the new starting line-up? Last two games with everyone back we've looked solid and the 7 games total with PJ Tucker instead of Ryno have been good too. Stats wise there doesn't seem to be a lot of differences, according to what I can gather from NBA.com. 2nd in offensive efficiency and 1st during the 12 game winning streak and last 7 games. Also 9th / 10th in defensive efficiency so on par with season averages. Rebounding during our streak has been bad, bottom 10 and bottom 5 in offense and defense!

Where the difference seems to be though is simply a different mentality, since we haven't been scoring much more nor giving up much less in the 1st or 3rd quarter where you'd think you might notice some differences. You can see with Tucker in there, who seems to be shooting better as a starter, and Ariza back that they are our most active defensive players and go after it. Since Ryno was being hesitant and PJ shooting well lately, I think this starting line-up might stick until the end of the year.

That's not guaranteed though. MDA said he's riding with what's hot right now and say we lose 1 or 2, he might pursue other options. Maybe Mbah instead of PJ or Ryno back with the starters. Regardless of what stats show or don't show, how do you feel about it? Regardless of the results, I am thrilled about a line-up change. It was obvious Ryno needed a change. You cannot be that hesitant and inconsistent on offense - since he doesn't bring much on defense - and expect to keep starting.

We know with Ryno though that the trade deadline was hanging over his head and he was relieved when it passed so they could get back to just playing ball. Who knows, he might be great if he got a chance to start again. That being said, to me and most people I reckon come play-off time, that defensive mindset and mentality is much more important than scoring. The points will come. We're 12 deep and have 3-4 legit guys who can break down defenses and or go iso.

I personally would like to see Mbah start next to Ariza due to his size, since to me PJ can guard wings as good as bigs and could come off the bench as a 3 and Ryno as a 4. That probably won't happen though, so I'm happy where we're at and hope we keep this change. Gives the starters more power on D, a different look on defense with 2 guys who can stay with the likes of Durant, Curry, Westbrook, PG, Melo etc. and gives Ryno more breathing room and a chance to be that guy off the bench who lights it up. He hasn't been much different as a bench guy than a starter and Tucker definitely has been, so let's keep it rolling I'd say.

Thoughts? Any advanced stats that shows how much better or worse we are?

2. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

I guess we're so deep that "everyone back" disregards the fact that the reigning 6th man of the year hasn't been playing

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

What are those rebounding rankings? Is that just rebounds per game? Because that’s not a good measure. Rbd% is significantly more telling and reliable because teams shoot more than others and some miss more than others.

We have been #1 or #2 (with Charlotte) all year in D-rbd%. And I believe top 10ish in T-rbd% (we have been a bottom half O-rbd% team)

Idk if you can still pull these numbers. I would but Work is busy today

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Off the bench Ryno is the best Ryno. He does other stuff besides shoot 3's. I'm loving it so far.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Somewhere, Eric Gordon is shaking his damn head.

[​IMG]

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm with you. I much prefer Luc starting.

Either way I like starting our defenders first. Paul + Harden can generate enough offense. Put some defenders out there. GSW kills people in 3rd quarters, let's get Luc or PJT out there on KD.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

PJ starting is looking good. He is shooting that 3 with NO HESITATION now. Lots of confidence. Looks solid at the corners. If you are going to get that shot from PJ....PLUS his defense, he has to start in front of Anderson. And moreover, Anderson looks good in the bench unit and also goes against 2nd stringers and thus gives him better advantages.

heypartner, OTMax and FTW Rockets FTW like this.
  9. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Ok so I looked up the numbers and wow...

In the past 7 games,

We are 21st in Orbd%, which is our exact season average ranking

We are 24th in Drbd%, which is absolutely a change. We have consistently been top 2 all year but are currently 3rd on the year.

And yet somehow we are 10th in Trbd%? We are 5th for the year.

Something to look for because securing defensive rebounds is a huge sticking point and something we need to dominate to limit extra opportunities for the warriors to score.

heypartner likes this.
  10. OTMax

OTMax Member

Obviously I meant everyone back as in the starters, so Ariza rounding out that starting unit. Yes our DR% and OR% are horrible during the last 7-12 games. Needs to change!

BigMaloe likes this.