1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Rocket Notes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaryleWard, Dec 19, 2000.

1. DaryleWard

DaryleWard Member

12/19

Maurice Taylor is ready for the third of his three consecutive games against high-scoring power forwards when the Rockets face Tim Duncan on Tuesday. Duncan will not list Taylor quite the same way.

The Rockets hoped that the addition of Taylor would give them a threat at least in the neighborhood of the Warriors' Antawn Jamison, Nuggets' Antonio McDyess or Duncan. He hasn't gotten there yet, but lately he has headed in that direction. If Taylor cannot shut down top scoring power forwards or rebound quite like them, he should be able to at least keep them busy.

"I thought he attacked," Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich said of Taylor's performance against McDyess on Saturday. "He got the ball and attacked the basket and did a good job. He had a very good game."

Taylor had 16 points, making 7 of 15 shots, against the Nuggets. He had season highs for points, 22, and rebounds, nine, against the Warriors. Before that, he had been horribly inconsistent. He had 20 in Seattle, but missed all seven of his attempts in a one-point, three-turnover collapse in Vancouver.

"When we started on (last week's) road trip, that was something we talked about was getting me going closer to the basket," Taylor said. "I've been doing that for the past few games and it's been helping because I've been able to get going early.

"Once I get my sweat going and my rhythm going, I'm able to step out and do some other things. I think they've been looking for me a lot more in the post and that's been helping, too."

Center Pig Miller has not played since he was signed by the Rockets on Dec. 8. If he cannot get playing time this week, however, he might never. The Rockets face David Robinson and Shaquille O'Neal this week.

In Perspective: Kelvin Cato returned from the injured list on Saturday and began to work his way back into the Rockets rotation.

With David Robinson and Shaquille O'Neal in town this week, another healthy big man could be helpful. The schedule no doubt had something to do with the Rockets decision to keep Anthony Miller on the roster and place a still limping Carlos Rogers on the injured list.

But it's going to be interesting to see how Rudy Tomjanovich comes up with enough minutes for his deepening collection of big men.

He has had Maurice Taylor and Kenny Thomas splitting time with some extra minutes coming at center. But Hakeem Olajuwon has been averaging just 25.4 minutes even before Cato was added to the mix.

With Cato playing seven second-quarter minutes, Olajuwon was down to 20 minutes. It's going to be another challenge for Tomjanovich to find enough time for each big man to determine who can take a hot hand down the stretch.

Once he does, he can begin trying to find time for Jason Collier too.

------------------
    There is two two types of people in the world: those who finish their sentences,

2. Nomar

Nomar Member

you know mister ward, now that bagwell has extended his contract, i see no point in staying with the astros. your talent is just going to waste.

i strongly suggest you demand a trade to the Red Sox. [​IMG]

------------------
    The next time I have meat and mashed potatoes, I think I'll put a very large blob of potatoes on my plate with just a little piece of meat. And if someone asks me why i didn't get more meat, ill just say, "Oh, you mean this?" and pull out a big piece of meat from inside the blob of potatoes, where ive hidden it. Good magic trick, huh?

3. johncrotty

johncrotty New Member

hey daryle when are you going learn how to hit a curveball

------------------

[This message has been edited by johncrotty (edited December 19, 2000).]

4. DaryleWard

DaryleWard Member

Well I'll tell you what; I would actually like a trade to the Anaheim Angels so I can play 1st base, and move big Mo's fat butt back to the DH role. The curveball isn't my problem; it's people like you that criticize me when you are a no gaming white basketball punk. That statement was ment to offend John Crotty.

Retire Crotty !!!

------------------
    There is two two types of people in the world: those who finish their sentences,

[This message has been edited by DaryleWard (edited December 19, 2000).]