1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Radiohead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BrieflySpeaking, May 3, 2016.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I just did. Suck my butt.

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

Just got through my first listen. I can't decide on my favorite song yet but what a great album. Perhaps not an every day listen, but more of a chill and mellowed out mood for me to listen.

3. LonghornFan

Now we're back to Radiohead. Just perfect. 3 listens and I don't wanna quit. With the headphones on after a spliff, it makes life feel good.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

TKOL was just out of place. It did sound badass live and Codex was a gem, but APSM is just like "oh yeah this is a Radiohead album." Put the headphones on and get wrecked.

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Wasn't sure what to expect after TKOL, which to me was one of their weaker albums (like HTTT)...a few great songs that sound better live and albums that don't really stay in the rotation. I played those two albums a lot when they first came out but then lost interest. (Unlike the bends, okc, kid a, amnesiac and in rainbows)

But gotta say that this one is fantastic and just flows. I was worried they lost it a bit after they made TKOL post-In Rainbows, which was such an amazing rebound album after HTTT, or that they would go the route of Thom's other projects (which I didn't love) but I had nothing to worry about. This is a masterpiece.

I like what they did with True Love Waits (though I think I prefer the acoustic guitar version better) and while it doesn't have a National Anthem/IMBW style kicker, the mellowness really works.

Thinking of In Rainbows, disc 2 has two killer songs (Up on the Ladder and 4-minute Warning...which also had an amazing live version when they did that small venue tour in 05 or 06 working on the In Rainbows material).

#105 Blake, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
  6. Outlier

Outlier Member

The song with the laugh track is so creepy

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

A great return to form - much better than The King of Limbs. It may eventually overtake The Bends as their 4th best album but don't know if it will ever crack the top 3 of Kid A, OK Computer, and In Rainbows.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The Bends is my favorite album of theirs.

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

It won't. It's great but Kid A and OKC are legendary.

1 person likes this.
  11. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

I'm so in. We'll need more brownies.

It's definitely not supplanting either Kid A or OK Computer, but I think time will tell on where it ranks against In Rainbows. I suspect that in the end the two will be rated very favorably against each other, but that could still be an early, reactionary view to a stunning album.

12. Outlier

Outlier Member

There is a rumor a second album is coming out soon after this one...

13. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Can't stop playing Decks Dark.. Best song to listen to while driving from the album. Great groove.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I remember they played Identikit and Cut a Hole at the TC show in 2012. Kind of bummed Cut a Hole didn't make it on the album. Perhaps on the deluxe version.

15. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

This works on my Galaxy 5 with BBC Media Player app. And thank you for the link!!!!

16. LonghornFan

I still get chills remembering them closing with Paranoid Android. I was so hyped up I couldn't sleep until like 5am.

17. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Ok serious question from someone that wants to like Radio Head but doesn't get it. What album is the quintessential album? I've listen to OK Computer on brother recommendation and besides a couple of songs I think it just ok. Have tickets to ACL and my brother will most likely stay for the entire set. What album should I listen to next?

18. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

"The Bends" is the easiest album to get into as it is guitar rock and Brit pop. It is a very song-oriented album. "OK Computer" needs to be listened to all the way straight through at least 4 times. It will click, trust me. I like both "Kid A" and "In Rainbows" the best, but you have to have an open mind and a bent towards electronica to like those 2 albums.

19. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Tinker Tailor could fit nicely on HTTT. I had this song as my least favorite from the record, but like most of them, it's still growing strong. Killer finish to this track.

20. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Where did you see this?