1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New policy on flopping

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Sep 27, 2012.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The clipper's dynasty is over before it began.

2. jaiaguilar

jaiaguilar Member

Derick Fisher collapses (trying to convince the NBA to reverse the decision :grin: )

3. amaru

amaru Member

I will believe it when I see it.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Wait, what does it mean by no in-game calls? Does it mean that they won't call it even if the refs see it as a flop?

And if the refs call a play that involves a flop correctly (not falling for the flop), will that still be counted as a flop?

Also, why don't they do it like flagrant or tech, accumulation of which would cause suspension?

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

exactly, fines are ridiculous. They won't achieve a damn thing. It's like how MLB fines players for throwing balls to fans. Dusty Baker was the highest fined player in his time for that. Like he cared. Or fining soccer players for taking their shirts off after a goal. Yeah, like they care.

They need something that pisses off the coaches. Like NFL for dancing after a touchdown moves the kickoff placement back. That really pisses off the special team's coach.

Actually, I have no idea what I'm talking about regarding MLB and NFL rules as they exist now.

The NBA Rule book actually as a rule that says to the affect "intentionally trying to fool a ref is a technical foul." That has never been called to my knowledge.

6. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

I'm guessing there won't be any specific calls\rules officials can use to punish floppers in-game. Too much of a judgement call to make in real time without the benefit of replay. Giving out technicals to floppers sounds like a pretty good idea, the possibility of a suspension looming over peoples heads for flopping would do more to discourage flopping than some petty fine.

7. heypartner

I'm serious about fining the refs for being fooled after the league reviews the play. Maybe not a fine, but you could score them and those that get fooled too many times are not eligible for the refereeing the playoffs or otherwise not getting a good job score for advancement. Penalize the refs some how.

Make the refs hate flopping and to look for it.

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Players make too much money to care.

Wait until it starts affecting wins and loses, and then you'll see stuff happen.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'm thinking it'll be a point system like they do with technicals. Each violation is a $25k fine and 1 point. 10 points and you're suspended a game. Something like that.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It might even work better if the fine was a percentage of your salary. Maybe like 1% of your salary with a $15k minimum. Superstars would really think twice about giving up 1% of their 15 million dollar a year salary just to flop.

11. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

12. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

This is just enough to keep people off their backs about not doing anything about flopping, slick move by Stern and co. Of course they're never going to do anything about it on the court, this takes away the leeway referees have in determining who to call and not to call a foul on. Also referees are then made responsible for not calling flops and now the responsibility is not with them, but with Stern and co. Thus, nobody can complain if they didn't see a certain flop or not, there's nothing that can be done. Teams can send tapes like before, maybe resulting in $1000 fines but that's it. And honestly, what is a few $1000 a year when you make millions?? :rolleyes:

13. Roachiep

Roachiep Member

Ban the floppers

Manu Ginobili would file for unemployment during the season opener. Why start penalizing this now, after SOOOOO many have made a career out of this gutless practice. Manu could be a great player, but his theatrics have sullied a promising, near great career. I cannot, and will not ever appreciate someone who flops. He is one of, if not the greatest offender over the last 10 years. One of the greater reasons why I dont support the spurs.

14. Roachiep

Roachiep Member

15. heypartner

You are still talking about the players. It is the refs who need a point system against them for allowing a flop.

10 bad calls and you aren't eligible to be a ref in the playoffs. You can't advance in your job.

It's not the players...it's the refs who need to be held accountable.

Why is what I'm saying so hard to grasp. We are trying to penalize the players when the refs are the ones at fault here...and in soccer, too.

16. heypartner

btw...we call him Manu Ginobody in these parts.

17. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

Should've traded Kevin Martin when we had the chance!! :p

18. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

Soccer's actually a better example for the type of system you propose: players who take their shirts off get a yellow card, and those do accumulate throughout a tournament till the player eventually is suspended for a game. Yet somehow it still doesn't stop players from doing it...

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Symbolic move that probably won't do much of anything, at least YET. Though its a start in the right direction

How about BOTH player AND ref

The player fined/penalized for trying it
    the ref fined/penalized for falling for it

Everyone involved in the flopping shenanigans get penalized

20. conquistador#11

I'm sure the divas will still stop, drop, and roll and nothing will come of it, however guys like luifa will be fined!