1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[New Ownership] What characteristics are important to you?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by today, Jul 17, 2017.

?

What characteristics would you like the new ownership to have? Choose your top 3.

Poll closed Jul 24, 2017.
  1. Hands-ON approach to basketball decisions

1.9%
  2. Hands-OFF approach to basketball decisions

48.8%
  3. Willingness to spend money (buying draft picks, paying tax, etc)

85.0%
  4. Loyalty to current management

54.4%
  5. Loyalty to the city of Houston

61.3%
  6. Loyalty to the Houston Rockets "Family" History

13.8%
  7. Individual Owner

6.9%
  8. Ownership Group

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Ownership Group - With Famous People involved

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Ownership Group - With Houston Athletes involved

3.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A little bball knowledge
    Tech savvy
    Willing to spend
    Loves Houston

2. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

You're on fire tonight, Deckard.

Sort of like Eric Gordon at the 3p contest.

3. malakas

malakas Member

I understand why some ppl are worried about the team moving cities, but there is really no need to. So loyalty to Houston is near the bottom of my list. (compared to the rest).
    The most important is hands off approach. Secondly individual owner. Thirdly loyalty to managment.

Hands off approach and loyalty to current managment are two different things. The new owner could keep Morey and have him as a puppet GM who just executes his orders. A lot of the bad GMs in the league right now is because of such owners.
    Individual owner is also vital because where there are many cooks in the kitchen there will be infighting and power struggles. Like in Atlanta, Milwaukee, Sacramento, Philadelphia.
    That means the new owner I want to see, should be a billionaire

Willingness to spend and pay the tax is also important but not as much as the other 3. There are owners who are willing to spend but because they insist on making the decisions on their own because they "know better" their teams turn to a mess. Example: Kroenke, DeVos, Allen, Prokorov etc.

Whoever we get, I expect it will need a couple of years at least until they "grow into" a good owner and get the neccessary experience. We would be incredibly lucky if the new owner leaves everything up to Morey from the start.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't know if he has the integrity or not, but I do agree with you, integrity, deep pockets, willingness to spend money, and most of love for the city of Houston, and the history of the Houston Rockets is very important to me.

The new owner needs to know how Clutch City came into being, and he/she must be dedicated to bringing back multiple NBA championships to Houston.

Deckard likes this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said! I know there must be many here wondering why I'm so ticked off about Fertitta possibly becoming owner. You point out what many of us here would consider an important factor. That the new owner be aware of and have an appreciation for, no, a love for the history of Clutch City.

Do folks here really understand what Fertitta thinks about history? Want to know how he handles the large majority of his developments in Galveston and the Kemah/Clear Lake area? Developments with buildings and businesses many decades old? Developments starting out with character, with a history? Bulldoze everything, flatten it, and start from scratch. History be damned. The man may talk a good game, and I don't doubt that he will. It's a skill he has. Not a bad skill for a businessman, and I'm putting aside the alleged ties he has had in the past with organized crime. I don't know if those rumors are true or not, and won't speculate. I'm going by his history as an investor and developer in the Greater Houston area. It is not a good history, not when it comes to history.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

no fat chicks

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I just prefer my owner not to be a racist douchebag like Donald Sterling or an obnoxious douchebag like Mark Cuban.

8. verysimplejason

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

What if he/she is racist, but willing to keep current management, willing to spend money in the luxury tax, and wins us a ring or two?

10. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

What if the new owner is a casual fan that wants to trade Harden because he doesn't play defense

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

What if the new owner is like Don Mattingly, who has a no facial hair policy, and trades James because he refused to shave his beard?

Nook and Von Rafer like this.
  12. clutz

clutz Member

Hopefully someone who will put a stop to the increasing urbanization of the Toyota Center entertainment experience.

Know Your Role and RiceRockets like this.
  13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Do we know he's a racist? If he's a closet racist and we don't know, then I can't oppose. If he's a vocal racist (in any degree), then we can't consciously accept him as an owner. Now, if he hates all white people from Utah, I might be okay with it. How much racism is acceptable in your owner?

14. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Did you actually watch the game? I'm surprised the whole stadium wasn't empty by halftime.

15. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

I want an owner that can inject a new culture into the team. This doesn't mean he/she is involved in basketball decisions, but hopefully the new culture permeates all decisions. No disrespect to Les, but I always felt as if the air around the Toyota Center was one that was stagnant. I like any real Rockets fan recognize our time in the 90s as something special, but I think a break from that line will be good in finding a new direction.

16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Eh, does it really matter?

Anybody that pulls the race card in the first place, tend to already think the majority of people are racists, even if they aren't.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Spend Money. Draft picks and into Luxury Tax if the team is warranted.
    Allow basketball people to make basketball decisions.
    Keep Morey.
    Be progressive. (keeping Morey helps here).

Basically, what they are doing now but with a little less Les interference. But "as is" is fine with me.

There are a lot of other worse owners out there that won't spend, be aggressive and progressive.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Passion....passion... passion and intelligence.

The Rockets are not leaving Houston, there is no market even remotely close available.

The new owner is likely to get the current Rockets together.

The new owner is very likely to have very deep pockets to drop almost two billion dollars on a team.

I want an owner that is passionate about his team, progressive and intelligence.... if we are lucky enough to get those traits, we will be in good hands.

The last thing we need is someone that really lacks a passion for what he or she does, I don't want someone like Bob McNair owning the Rockets.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you forgot

Loyal to China

today likes this.
  20. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

This has the propensity to devolve into a DD thread very quickly.

MorningZippo likes this.