1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Orleans Hornets trading G Rasual Butler to L.A. Clippers for future draft pick

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ILoveTheRockets, Aug 12, 2009.

1. ILoveTheRockets

by Jimmy Smith, The Times-Picayune
    Wednesday August 12, 2009, 11:53 AM

The New Orleans Hornets will trade shooting guard Rasual Butler today to the Los Angeles Clippers for a future conditional second-round draft pick, a league source confirmed on Wednesday.

The swap gives the Hornets some financial flexibility - Butler was scheduled to earn $3.945 million this season - as well as potentially opens up minutes at the position for Julian Wright, Morris Peterson and rookie Marcus Thornton.

Peterson was the starting two guard last season before early injuries opened the spot for Butler, who seized the moment by having arguably his best NBA season.

Butler averaged 11.2 points per game and 3.3 rebounds, while playing every game for the Hornets last season.

Wright was impressive for the Hornets' summer league team in Las Vegas last month, as was Thornton, whom the Hornets traded a future second-round pick to the Miami Heat on draft night to acquire.

Hornets officials were not yet available for comment.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

please consider Brian Cook.

3. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

That dude is clutch.

4. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I didn't know the clippers were under the cap.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Interesting move by the Clips. They are over the salary cap, so they must have had to use a large chunk of the trade exception they got from the Randolph-Richardson trade. Nice to see the Clips actually make a deal with the intent to actually compete.

Cheap-ass financially motivated move by the Hornets. I guess they are desperate, so they had to do it. But it would have been nice if they didn't have to salary dump a starter who actually isn't that overpaid.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Agreed. You can't even use the "he's a FA soon, get something of value for him" defense since it's merely a conditional second-round pick.

On a side note: I forgot Mo Pete was still on that team. WOW, has his fall from "above average starter" to utter obscurity been ugly.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Weird that the Clippers are trying to compete this season. Really weird. I am definitely not buying it. Thornton and Blake are overrated at this point and Baron Davis and Marcus Camby are always a mystery.

8. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

If healthy, they seem to be a .500 team if Eric Gordon can repeat what he did fo rthem last year. Kaman and Camby give them a legit presence in the middle. If this Blake kid, can transition to the NBA level, then they could be a sleeper in the West. But like history says.....not likely. I guess a .500 team that is just short of the playoffs.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

N.O.will miss him. Good move by the Clippers.

10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

According to my knowledge, the Clippers traded part of their $7.9 million trade exception and a 2nd round draft pick for Butler. If that is the case, how is that possible? I thought you can only trade for a player whose salary cap space equals the trade exception. For example, if someone has a $3.5 million trade exception, the Rockets could trade Brian Cook to them, because the salary matched the trade exception. In addition, they also threw in a 2nd round draft pick. I thought you could not add anything with the exception to facilitate a trade, a player nor a draft pick.

I remember Carrol Dawson, providing us with the do's and don'ts behind "Trade Exceptions", I guess he didn't understand it. :rolleyes:

11. uchlha

uchlha Member

Good for us, Butler always raped us when we played NO.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Equal to or less than

13. matty101

matty101 Member

good move by the clippers. They have some talent in that team now and a good mix of younger and older guys. They have had a real good off season as well. Now all they need to do is find a coach and they could be good. Until they can find the guy who can bring all the talent together they wont be much more than a .500 team.

What coaches are out there that could possibly bring this team together though? It would be a tough team to coach. JVG (doubt he would see eye-to-eye with baron)? Flip Saunders? Who else is out there?

14. worzel gummidge

JR Smith, Snyder, and now Butler.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Looks like Sessions will probably go to the Clippers as well? Still not buying.

16. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

I say Hornets should trade Chris Paul to Rox for a future draft pick & Battier & Brian Cook. :D
    Yeah, saves them loads of cash. :cool:

17. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Actually they got a $7.3M trade exception in the Randolph/Q deal.

18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

The Clippers seem to be very active this off season. Hope it pays off for them in the W column.

19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Exactly what I was thinking. And, the JR Smith move was and still is the funniest. Then, everyone supported it, Byron Scott was getting rid of some thug that was never going to be anything in the nba. Uhh, yeah. He ended up being one of the best 6th men in the league.