1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Mural Unveiled, "We Are All Trayvon"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobmarley, Aug 11, 2013.

1. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/mu...tin/-/1637132/21404556/-/u4r3tdz/-/index.html

Mural shows man shooting likeness of Trayvon Martin
    George Zimmerman acquitted in Florida teen's death

[​IMG]

ORLANDO, Fla. -
    An eye-grabbing mural showing a picture of a man shooting a likeness of Trayvon Martin was unveiled Friday at the state Capitol.

The message of the 100-foot mural, created by Miami artist Huong, is "We are all Trayvon Martin."

The mural shows a man who looks similar to George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch leader who shot and killed Martin in February 2012 and was later acquitted in the teen's death, shooting a person wearing a hoodie. There's a mirror in the mural where Martin's face would be so visitors can see themselves as the teen.

The mural also contains blank spaces where the public can share their thoughts, and it also shows a picture of Martin Luther King Jr. with blood flowing down his head.

Huong also joined the Dream Defenders, a group holding a sit-in protest outside Gov. Rick Scott's office for the past four weeks. The group plans on taking the artwork on a nationwide tour, although the exact locations are not yet known.

The Dream Defenders want Florida's Stand Your Ground law repealed, but Scott said he will not call a special session over the matter.

-----------------

Two things...

One, I'm sure that's exactly how it must have happened.

And

Two, I'm glad to know GZ also shot MLK Jr that night as well.

Pathetic.

2. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

You can't reason with people who Already have their mind made up before they talk about something.

Of course, that's all of us in some debate so I'm not calling out my own people.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

lol at that picture of Zimmerman

wt****

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

zimmerman looks like a neo nazi there.

5. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Why does Zimmerman look like the dude from Office Space?

6. Nook

Nook Member

Well I support free speech and art.... but I have to say this is just stupid. This is up there with the birther movement crazies.

Whatever... WE ARE TRAYVON MARTIN!

7. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

The picture is on its side; Zimmerman was lying on his back when he fired. This is a travesty. In a few years when the few details of this case that are know have faded from consciousness, this will serve as people's instruction on what happened to Trayvon Martin...

8. dmc89

dmc89 Member

This painting... my god. It's is a great example of a new era we've entered in the 21st century. Certain groups of people now obstinately cling to their beliefs, and distort reality/facts around their hastily-drawn conclusions. They've always existed in history, but now they affect us.

The Internet allows pockets of these groups to thrive and launch their crazy beliefs into the mainstream. It makes the national debate toxic, convoluted, and detached from objective facts (and ethical journalism). People in the mainstream end up with distorted views of reality. The media loves to give these groups more voice thus further exacerbating the mess. The 9/11 'Truth' Movement and Bilderburg theories (crap by Alex Jones), Kerry's military record, the gold standard, Obama's citizenship status, and now Trayvon Martin are some instances.

It's been weeks since the trial ended, yet people have a very different understanding of the case depending on demographics. This notion of African Americans and a large number of non-AA liberals living in one reality, and the rest of America living in another is both scary and depressing.

If one case from 2012 can be twisted/molded into something else, is it any wonder that we can't remember history and its lessons? The 2008 Financial Crisis and its root causes have been long-forgotten by people. Few Americans remember what went wrong in Iraq and Afghanistan. The amount of news consumed every day, and the degree of commentary that morphs its meaning... is political paralysis really that shocking?

1 person likes this.
  9. amaru

amaru Member

Attempting to profit off of this young man's death.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Huong doesn't give a flying **** about black people in general, much less Trayvon Martin.

10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

This is exactly what I thought. This is an artist trying to gain notoriety by making this piece. He is hoping to increase the value of his other work. Controversy creates cash.

11. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

If he is trying to profit, that sucks altogether.

But, I like the message and I'm glad that people aren't forgetting this case. It's a sad reminder of where we are at in society. The worst part is that a young boy was murdered and yet people still deny that a larger problem exists.

If you were in my profession, maybe you would be able to see all of this on a broader scale and understand the message it sends to America's minority youth.

It's not so cut and dry.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The message of Zimmerman shooting Trayvon in the back of his head while not acting in self-defense? Which is pretty much the opposite of what happened?

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

People can paint what they want, but that's a pretty lame canvas. Exploitative, offensive (to me, to in any way compare any 19-yr-old kid to the leader who was MLK Jr.), inflammatory, inaccurate (based on all court-presented evidence), and poorly executed.

All that said, I support the painter's right to paint what he wants of course. (shrug)

14. amaru

amaru Member

Fixed

15. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

fixed it for her

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

lol at both of you bumping the age ... he was 17

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Who in the world do you see denying that there are problems? What problem are you specifically identifying? I think there is more disagreement on solutions...

18. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Zimmerman didn't act in self-defense.

I like the fact that the case is used in a form of art so that people are reminded of the case. I'm not speaking directly to the depiction of events...just the fact that the artist chose to spend his/her time on this time in legal history.

19. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

This is funny on so many levels because they both most likely knew his age.

20. amaru

amaru Member

You are correct......he was about 20 days over 17 at the time of his murder.

My mistake.