1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[New Meh] For Sec. Def, Obama Appoints former killing machine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Jan 27, 2013.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hey, Hagel was in 'Nam as well, and by all accounts, was very good at gettin' after charlie.

--
    Barack Obama's pick for defence secretary Chuck Hagel was 'very, very good at killing'
    BY: TOBY HARNDEN, WASHINGTON From: The Times January 28, 2013 12:00AM

PRESIDENT Barack Obama's choice for US defence secretary was "very, very good at killing" in Vietnam, witnessed war crimes carried out by drunken American soldiers, and may have inadvertently shot innocent civilians, according to his brother.

Chuck Hagel and his brother Tom volunteered as infantrymen and fought together in 1968, the year of the Tet Offensive.

They returned with five Purple Hearts and two Bronze Stars between them.

A former senator, Chuck Hagel is poised to become the first Vietnam veteran and the first former enlisted serviceman to run the Pentagon, and has spoken of how his aversion to war was forged in the Mekong Delta.

In the run-up to his Senate confirmation hearings this week, controversy has centred on his dovish stance on Iran, anti-gay comments made in the 1990s, and his criticism of the "Jewish lobby". But his war record has undergone little scrutiny.

In a joint interview with his brother for a book published in 1984, Tom claimed women and children had been killed by their platoon and atrocities committed.

"It all seemed so senseless," he said. "We'd kill and they'd kill, and it didn't mean anything. And both of us were very, very good at killing. The whole process we were good at. We were amazingly proficient at it all. In firefights, we'd shoot hundreds and hundreds of rounds and after we'd walk 100 yards, and see hundreds and hundreds of bodies."

He added: "Women and children. For the longest time, that was the only thing that bothered me. We found women with lots of ammo on and then it didn't bother me as much. But there were all the others. And they didn't have guns - because we saw them after."

When Obama nominated Hagel, 66, a former conservative Republican, as defence secretary this month, he paid tribute to the actions of the two men, telling troops that "just like Sergeant Hagel was there for his own brother, Secretary Hagel will be there for you".

In March 1968, Chuck, then 21, was walking in single file through the jungle with Tom, two years younger, when a soldier ahead triggered a mine and was blown to pieces. Tom was hit in the chest and Chuck in the arm, but they carried on patrolling. Shortly afterwards, Chuck was about to set off a tripwire grenade when Tom shouted at him to freeze.

Weeks later, the brothers were in an armoured vehicle when it hit a mine. Chuck's eardrum was punctured and the left side of his face seared by the explosion, but he was able to pull Tom, who was unconscious, from the wreckage and shield him from incoming fire.

"That night the pain was so intense, I'll just never forget it," Chuck told the author Myra MacPherson. "You don't know how bad you're burnt, what you'll look like. I lay there and I thought, in my whole life, if there's anything I do, it's going to be to try and stop wars."

At the time, the brothers were bitterly divided over the conflict. Chuck viewed it as a noble cause to protect the South Vietnamese from communism while Tom, who is now a law professor at the University of Dayton, Ohio, was tormented by what they had taken part in. Their argument was quoted at length by MacPherson in her book Long Time Passing: Vietnam and the Haunted Generation.

Tom told his brother: "We were winning 'hearts and minds', right? What was the name of that alcoholic southern son of a b**** sergeant we had? He was so drunk out that night there near the orphanage. Remember the orphanage, Chuck? We got hit real bad that night. That sergeant was so drunk and pissed off that he crawled up on that track and opened up on that orphanage with a 50-calibre machinegun."

Chuck responded incredulously: "Are you saying he slaughtered children in an orphanage?"

To which Tom replied: "I don't know if he did because none of us went in to check. But I know that he opened up on that orphanage. Just rained on it."

Tom also recounted how a "total incompetent of a first lieutenant" shot dead an unarmed woman as she stepped out of a hut to look at the troops collecting bodies, and how a major ordered a South Vietnamese ally to cut the fingers off enemy dead so that he could take their rings as souvenirs.

This has drawn comparisons to Senate testimony by John Kerry, also a Vietnam veteran, who is about to replace Hillary Clinton as secretary of state. In 1971, he spoke of US troops who "raped, cut off ears, cut off heads".

Tom Hagel, who has suffered post-traumatic stress and depression, declined to discuss his Vietnam experiences. The White House did not respond to requests for comment. Chuck Hagel's Vietnam experience has coloured his view of conflict in the 21st century. He opposed the Iraq surge in 2007, describing it as the "most dangerous foreign policy blunder in this country since Vietnam".

Since leaving the Senate in 2009, he has also criticised Obama's surge in Afghanistan, where, he said last year, America was "losing" a war that was a "disaster".

He has described the Pentagon as "bloated" and questioned whether even the limited involvement in Libya was in America's interest. Hagel's view is that he will be more careful about sending men to war because Vietnam had taught him that "challenging, probing and questioning is what is patriotic".

However, Max Boot, the author of Invisible Armies: An Epic History of Guerrilla Warfare and a former adviser to Mitt Romney, the defeated Republican presidential nominee, said that for Hagel and Kerry, "Iraq compounded the lesson of Vietnam and has led them to even greater non-interventionism". This, he said, could be "calamitous" for America.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-good-at-killing/story-fnb64oi6-1226563034039

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

um good

do you even read the thousands of chunks of text you copy+paste?

1 person likes this.
  3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

i guess this thread also reveals basso's feelings about the American military he likes to lean on for his neo-con adventures.

killing machines.

I guess self-trolling is in style these days.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Shame on Obama for picking a decorated combat vet for secretary of defense. I guess there were no draft dodging deferment chicken hawks like Dick Cheney available.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Weird topic. Almost epic meltdown fail proportions.

You can't Swift Boat a guy who isn't elected.

6. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just as the soldiers are programmed killing machines, basso cannot help himself; he is a pasting machine, programmed to feign ire from time-to-time.

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Real soldiers don't seem to be as hot on elective wars as chickenhawks like Basso.

9. basso

Supporting Member

all wars are elective. you can choose to fight or not.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

What a load of bs. History and drafts seem to disagree with you. Its amazing how quickly you abandon one of the warhawk platforms of your party just to get a jab at Obama.

11. basso

Supporting Member

it was a jab at glynch.

12. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Wow! basso is really changing his stripe(s)!

basso, I am happy to see your newfound concern with military misconduct, and particularly your concern that men with a history of failing to stop military abuses find themselves in roles of increasing power.

I'm glad that your concern for this isn't purely partisan bull****, and that you have a genuine concern for things like this beyond just the corny talking points trotted out by extremist right wing bloggers.

basso your concern for matters like this really shows me that you're trying to understand the world, and that you form your opinions accordingly. Keep it up!

13. basso

Supporting Member

I've never changed. Look it up.

14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

He hasn't changed. Likes frequent wars but never chooses to fight
    He probably would not fight if the Ruskies, Chi-coms, N. Koreans,Taliban, "alQaeda of the Magreb", enmey du jour landed on the beach in New York or Galveston.

I forget. What do you call a person who is not a pacifist at all but never chooses to fight but likes others to fight for them?

15. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

I think you call them basso.

I wouldn't know though, I've been fortunate enough not to meet too many of those angry, coward types in my life.

16. basso

Supporting Member

Cruz made Hagel look rather silly today.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm sure Cruz' military service record really dwarfs Hagel's, so I'm sure he was made to look very silly!

18. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

19. basso

Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Several senators- even undecideds-tell me there's a ton of buzz on senate floor about hagel's lackluster performance. "Shock" is the word</p>&mdash; Dana Bash (@DanaBashCNN) <a href="https://twitter.com/DanaBashCNN/status/297086733865074689">January 31, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You chickenhawks deserve each other.