1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

***NEW*** Mcgrady Info

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by alaskansnowman, Jul 12, 2000.

1. alaskansnowman

I was just watching ESPN and on their sports ticker, it stated that David Aldridge reported Mcgrady will sign a 6 year, I think 67 million dollar deal WITH THE MAGIC!? And I'm pretty sure this is the latest info becuz I saw it at about 9:00. ESPN usually keeps their info correct up to the hour.

What is all this talk about Mcgrady going to the Heat?

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

[This message has been edited by alaskansnowman (edited July 12, 2000).]

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Yeah David Alridge said he will sign august 1st with the magic. Alridge is all ways right, so Tmac is going to the magic now.

Who knows, next week he might pick another team to play with. [​IMG]

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

3. alaskansnowman

Yeah foreal Francis3!

What the hell is Mcgrady doing? He's like sum kinda child. First he likes Orlando, then he likes Chicago, then he wants Miami, now it's Orlando?

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Just one point

Aldridge is always right

Yeah right, what a joke, if Aldridge is reporting this then it probably means he is going to go to Miami or Chicago.

------------------
    Stuff BBS, the Rockets and you guys

It's all Clippers these days, come join the bandwagon and visit

http://www.ClippersCity.net

5. Curly

Curly Member

I thought that they could talk with teams, and that they could say that they will sign with a team, but I also thought that specifics...like a 6yr 67 mil deal...before Aug 1st were bending the rules just a bit.

------------------
    In the end there will be no judges...only witnesses to my greatness.

6. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

This kid has issues. If this is true, I would be willing to bet that we'll next hear about McGrady being the next spokesperson for Disney World. What a dork, what a rich dork.

I so desperately wanted the Magic to fail. Hill would have inevitably retracted his commitment, leaving the Magic to mull over the draft day trades.

Too bad.

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

alaskansnowman - nothing personal, McGrady IS a kid! Well known and wealthy, but still not yet 21!.

Curly - It's ESPN/Aldredge making the statements not McGrady, his lawyer, or the Magic. Even though any or all three may be the source, it's hard to bust 'em for "hearsay". Also, I think it may be easy to back into the number if you know the CBA (not the league - the agreement).

------------------
    GATER

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The numbers are probably speculation, based on common knowledge, about the price being driven up, and are pretty much sure bets. Free agents can announce their intentions.

------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.
    Collier is Seven Foot and Left Handed. How can you go wrong?
    Trade or bench Kenny Thomas.

9. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Does he change his mind because he is mixed up or is he trying to bull the market for his services?

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum
    2. Use clear wording for new threads
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult

The Serious Police are watching

Donate Blood!
    All will be assimilated.

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited July 12, 2000).]

10. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

He changes his mind because he's confused. Imagine, you're only 21 and are just about to come into your own as a star basketball player.

Suddenly you've got one of the best young coaches in the game(Doc Rivers) trying to convince you to facilitate a Sign & Trade to play with the Magic and alongside Grant Hill and Tim Duncan so that your team can lord over the league like a colossus

Then you go to Chicago, where they have a parade for you and you get to throw out the first pitch at a game between the White Sox and Cubs. Jerry the Hutt then comes and says he'll give you 9.5 million dollars a year(and thats only the first year) to play for him. Thats an awful lot of money.

Then All-Star center Alonzo Mourning calls you and asks you to come play with him and one of the best coaches of all time. Even more obscene amounts of money are thrown in your face.

Then the Magic come back, offering the 6 yr, 67 million dollar deal. Both Doc Rivers and John Gabriel take a rush flight to meet with you to try and change your mind.

Its like being a kid in a toy store. You see this great toy, and you really, really want it. Then you look over and you see an even better toy, and all of a sudden you want it even more. Then you look over and see another toy you want. Then you see a fourth toy that might just be better than them all. And the good thing is that you don't have to pay for the toys. They'll be paying you. 9 million dollars a year. How confused would you be?

Of course, I'm only making a supposition as to his mindset, I've never been vigorously pursued by several pro teams wanting to offer me more money than I've ever seen in my entire life.

------------------
    Who would've thought Don Nelson would pass up Olumide Oyedeji not once, not twice, but thrice?

[This message has been edited by Puedlfor (edited July 12, 2000).]

11. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

Maybe this is a topic for a different thread, but why would Orlando want McGrady AND Hill? Aren't they both pure 3's? Do they figure that one of the two will retract his commitment and they just want to cover their bases? I don't get it.

------------------

12. BullsFan

BullsFan Member

MCGRADY CAN PLAY 3 OR 2 EVEN SOMEIMTES THE 1 BUT THEY HAVE ARMSTRONG..HILL AT THE 3 AND MCGRADY AT THE 2 AND ARMSTRONG AT THE 1 SIMPLE..

------------------

13. ScreamingRocketJet

Where does there draft pick, Miller, play?

He is solely a s/f.

------------------

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Miller will keep Grant Hill's seat warm, like rookies are supposed to do.

At this point, I'm glad the Rockets are not in contention to sign McGrady. He's a big pain in the ass. I'm now betting he'll be the same sort of irritant in Orlando or wherever that Pippen had been in Chicago (as opposed to the irritant he was in Houston).

------------------
    http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I think his indecisiveness speaks volumes about his maturity.

It must be nice to be Orlando and be able to give the maximum to a player that has done NOTHING in the NBA. He hasn't led a team. Hasn't won a playoff game. Hasn't done a damn thing. Good luck Orlando, you're taking a big risk.

If I were Orlando, since Duncan is signing with San Antonio, I'd sign Grant, let McGreedy go elsewhere for the big bucks and save some cap room next season for Webber.

------------------
    "I've been licking this carpet for hours and I still don't feel like a lesbian!"

16. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

HEY I JUST HEARD MCGRADY IS GONNA SIGN A 310 MILLION 12 YEAR DEAL WITH THE BULLS HEAT AND MAGIC

------------------
    Will Work for Clutch 101 Book

18. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Mango is right or both counts. A 20 year-old multi-millionaire controlled by a middle-aged laywer (Arn Tellem) and this side show is to be expected.

Also agree with Juan Valdez and am glad the Rocks are avoiding this disaster looking for a location.

Maybe this belongs on another thread, but I wonder what this does to the moral of last years Magic players who worked very hard for Doc Rivers?

------------------
    GATER