1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New-look Houston Rockets give Tracy McGrady renewed hope this season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by drich, Oct 29, 2007.

1. drich

drich Member

found this article in the Canadian Press. it is really good read thought you all might want to read the article. Thought it was pretty cool the Canadian Press was talking about the Rockets.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hslcpwMZ2hr0VuH7w0oE_PaQ2RRQ

HOUSTON - Tracy McGrady has felt this way before. Last year, in fact.

He was surrounded with talent, guided by an accomplished coach and convinced that the Houston Rockets were ready to make a deep run in the NBA playoffs. All that added up to another post-season flop for McGrady and the franchise.

The Rockets retooled their roster and replaced Jeff Van Gundy with Rick Adelman, who brought a more fast-paced, eye-pleasing style. McGrady is optimistic again - but with last season's failure still fresh in his mind, don't ask him to get too excited just yet.

"We look great on paper," he said, "but sometimes it really doesn't translate on the court."

Houston was one of the most active teams in the off-season, starting with the coaching change. The Rockets acquired point guards Mike James and Steve Francis, and power forward Luis Scola, three presumably good fits in Adelman's free-flowing offensive system.

Kirk Snyder and Bonzi Wells bring potential scoring punch backing up McGrady. The temperamental Wells probably wouldn't have returned to the Rockets if Adelman hadn't been hired as the coach. Wells had one of his best seasons playing for Adelman in Sacramento in 2005-06.

McGrady should also thrive in the system, as current Rockets broadcast analyst Clyde Drexler did under Adelman during Portland's successful run in the early 1990s. The 28-year-old McGrady has been stricken with back problems the last two seasons, but thinks Adelman's style could extend his career by several years.

"It's what I played all along, and that's up-tempo," McGrady said. "I can adjust to any system, but I think as far as my ability, my talent and what I do best, it's get up and down the court and play off the ball. I can do that."

It's not McGrady, but Yao Ming, who could prove to be the key player in Adelman's offence.

Yao mostly posted up in Van Gundy's half-court sets and took a pounding in the process. He'll work more away from the basket and pass more often in the new system, similar to what Vlade Divac did in Sacramento when Adelman was there.

Yao, who averaged 25 points and nine rebounds last season, noticed during the pre-season that defences seemed off-balance trying to guard him in the new scheme.

"It's very simple and very easy for me," Yao said. "Now, they cannot just focus on me because I can shoot the ball, I can pass to the open man, I can set a screen and roll to the basket, or flare to the corner and take a jumper or something.

"I have too many choices right now."

Forward Shane Battier is the only other certain starter heading into the season. Battier was the Rockets' top individual defender last year and averaged 10 points and four rebounds.

Chuck Hayes started 43 games at power forward and averaged almost seven rebounds. He'll be pressed for playing time by the six-foot-nine, 245-pound Scola, who helped Argentina win a silver medal at last summer's FIBA Americas tournament and was voted the tournament's MVP.

Adelman said Scola already possesses NBA-calibre offensive skills; it's his defence that needs to improve.

"The biggest thing for him to get a feel for what the NBA is all about," Adelman said. "What he can do defensively is the biggest thing - how he reacts to schemes we throw out there, whether he stays out of trouble. Offensively, I don't think he has a problem because he's always been a very active player."

It's still anybody's guess who will be Houston's No. 1 point guard. The additions of James, Francis and first-round draft pick Aaron Brooks set up a crowded competition with incumbent Rafer Alston.

The 31-year-old Alston started every game last season, but his inconsistent shooting was a liability. He also had a rough off-season - he was charged with public intoxication in Houston and arrested a month later in New York City after an altercation at a nightclub.

Back on the court, Alston seems comfortable in Adelman's system, averaging five assists in Houston's first three pre-season games.

"I'm a pure point guard," Alston said. "I'm going to run your team. Yes, I'm a streaky shooter. Besides that, I'm in a great shape, I can get up and down the court. Whatever style he wants to implement, it's ideal for me."

James is a better perimeter shooter than Alston, and Francis is potentially the most explosive scorer of the trio, though his numbers have dropped in the last two seasons.

All three played healthy minutes in the pre-season as Adelman decides who's the best fit.

"The best thing any of these guys can do is come in positive, compete and show what you can do," Adelman said. "They all can play in this league. How they play within our system is going to tell us a lot."

The 61-year-old Adelman sat out last season and thinks he's returning a bit wiser than he was when Sacramento fired him after the 2005-06 season.

"You always learn from everything you do," Adelman said. "You've got to look and say, 'Maybe we could've done this better, maybe I could've handled this better.' Hopefully, I'll be a better coach this year than I was two or three years ago."

2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

i'm tired of hearing how injury plagued T-mac is. Last season he was pretty durable. I think he only missed like 11 games and probably half of those were just to be cautious. If t-mac only misses 11 games this season, ill be stoked. As long as it's not the last 11 games

3. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

i stopped reading after it said "surrounded by talent".

No offense but their best offseason adquisition last season: Shane Battier, is not by any means talented. He is as blue collar worker as you will ever find. i love those kind of players but that is not talent.

will continue to read ;)

4. Rowdie Brandon

I'm tired of hearing about how excited tmac is about his teammates.....produce in may and june and then we can talk.

5. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

took 4 posts.

6. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

Let's take over Canada. I know that's random.

7. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

wasn't alston aquitted or charges dropped on the night club altercation?

8. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I LOL'ed when he called Clyde Drexler an "analyst".

9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Thanks for the article.

10. A00man

A00man Member

Lol, I was wondering how many it would take as well. I don't think he even read the article though.

11. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

he had 1 bad season and he's injury-plagued. but it's the back and not something minor so it's underestandable. as long as he performs and plays this yr, that talk should end.

12. darnbni99a

darnbni99a Member

my man needs to stop talkin so dam much before he gets injured again..

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

it amazes me some times just how few fans McGrady *really* has amongst ROcket fans.

they just seeem to drool at the thought of being able to denigrate him for everything he says.

they over-exaggerate his injuries, and whine cause he wont produce Sportcenter highlights for them all game long.

for the record.....did Mcgrady miss games due to back spams after the trip to the Waco doctor?

I dont remember any.

14. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

he missed 2. one game v. the suns after a 45pt game v. dallas last yr and one game where everyone on here said jvg benched him.

tmac does have A LOT of fans in houston. u see how the TC treats him and how the houston community respects him.

fans on here don't make up the majority. and it's sad really how people can denigrate tracy ON HERE. they don't respect a guy who just came back from an injury and had to be courted off and came back, made all-nba 2nd team, had the most offensive responsibilities of ANY NBA PLAYER, and still put up 25, 5, 7, and put this team on his back while yao was out.

but what can u do? again, when tmac wins (and i repeat it's a matter of when), i don't want those guys to get up on the bandwagon and praise him like it's nothing.

it's the same with yao. when yao reaches that other level, i don't want guys like barkley or stu scott to start praising yao like they've been all along.

15. Barkley

Barkley Member

He was probably tired after that 45 pts game. That's why he didn't play. He also was benched in Warriors' game with stiff back

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

not 100% true.

he does so much for the rockets and everyone here knows that.

however, it's hard to watch a guy settle for contested long range shots because he's scared to drive it in thanks to an injury that can keep him out for a month at any time.

not his fault, but frustrating enough to complain about.