1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Ban to be announced Tues: Forbids any device larger than cellphone on airlines from 13 countries

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BleedRocketsRed, Mar 20, 2017.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I used chase reserve points to book the flight. My actual flight is from Houston to Cairo and Amsterdam to Houston. I'm in graduate school and work part time... so i'm unfortunately super broke. Regardless I am going to check out Germany, Greece, Denmark, and Egypt.

Anyways what I meant by making me dread my flights a bit more is they are super long flights and with United.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

How does having the bomb in the cargo hold make anybody safer?

Al Qaeda hasn't figured out remote detonation yet?

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Its pretty easy just short the battery it will blow up. Same as all those note phones. At least if its in the cabin you have a chance to put it out. In the cargo bay it will just burn everything up. Lithium fires are very hard to put out.

At some point there is risk in everything. Do you really want to not have your laptop or ipad for the .0001% chance a terrorist will blow up your plane?

4. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

So if this is a major national security issue, then why not ban it on all flights, domestic and international?

Obviously that would cause EVERYBODY to get angry but if this is a serious threat, it's not like a terrorist can't fly on a different airline originating in a different country and bring their laptop battery bomb.

9/11 happened using domestic flights. If intelligence has information saying that this is a serious threat, then how does just banning certain it on certain flights eliminate that threat?

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The article I read implied that anything stored in cargo required a fuse based on time that makes such a device significantly more complicated. I don't recall if the same article addressed the use of a remote to set a device off... but I suspect it would suggest a remote also makes things more complicated.

The same article implied that screening is more intense on items in cargo versus carry-on where there is an imperative to have passengers move quickly through screening.

I also guess based on the size or type of explosion the the cargo area could be safer.

6. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Pretty sure the screening on carry on is more extensive. You have to remove your laptop/electronics/liquids from the bag, place it in a separate container, etc.

Only random bags for cargo actually get opened..

Plus the manner in which checked bags are handled could be cause for concern when dealing with items that have lithium batteries. You literally see them being thrown onto the thing. If it damages the battery, could set off a fire in the cargo area...

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It does not.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If they knew exactly what to look for, it would make sense. If not, and it's a general laptop as bomb/fire threat... it makes no sense.