1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New arena approved for Seattle!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rolyat93, Jul 30, 2012.

Tags:
?

Are you happy for the city of Seattle and (former)Sonics fans?

1. Yes.

150 vote(s)
    68.5%
  2. You better believe it.

69 vote(s)
    31.5%
  1. TISNF

TISNF Member

Great realignment plan actually. Unrealistic, but definitely interesting.

For those saying "they should've done this five years ago" well, uhh...did you read what Hansen has to pay for?? He really bent over for the city/county.

Plus I don't think he had that much money just five years ago.

2. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Seattle Kings for sure. Then Sacramento will approve a new arena in a few years and then then we'll have the new Sacramento Bobcats under a new ownership group minus MJ.

3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Cities that could hold an NBA team: St. Louis, Cincinnati, Albuquerque, Las Vegas, San Diego, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Montreal, Monterrey, Honolulu, San Francisco, Vancouver, New Jersey, Austin, Little Rock.... List goes on

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

San Francisco has a team already.
    San Diego had a team, but I think San Diego is too much under the shadow of the Lakers. Similar to New Jersey and Austin.

Honolulu is too far for teams to travel. The Grizzlies in Vancouver never had fan support and Little Rock is too small.

Monterrey is in a soccer obsessed country, a country where most NBA fans could not afford NBA tickets.

Montreal, Kansas City, St. Louis, Seattle, maybe even Pittsburgh would be good spots.

5. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I am very happy for Seattle fans; I was upset when their team was taken away, as they have some great history in the NBA.

I am all for expanding the league to 32 teams, because I'd hate for a team like Sacramento to be snatched away from their die-hard fans and the history they have there. It'd be the Sonics 2.0.

A rebirthing of the Seattle Supersonics, as well as a team in the East, would be great in my opinion.

Eastern Conference:

Atlantic Division:
    Boston Celtics
    New York Knicks
    Philadelphia 76ers
    Brooklyn Nets

Great Lakes Division:
    Detroit Pistons
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Indiana Pacers
    Toronto Raptors

Southeast Division:
    Atlanta Hawks
    New Orleans Hornets
    Miami Heat
    Orlando Magic

East Central Division:
    Washington Wizards
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Louisville/Kansas City/Virginia Beach/Little Rock

Western Conference
    Pacific Division:
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Golden State Warriors
    Sacramento Kings

Northwest Division:
    Seattle SuperSonics
    Portland Trailblazers
    Utah Jazz
    Denver Nuggets

Southwest Division:
    Houston Rockets
    Phoenix Suns
    San Antonio Spurs
    Dallas Mavericks

West Central Division:
    Chicago Bulls
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Minnesota Timberwolves
    Oklahoma City Thunder

Though, I think an easier and much less hectic/difficult/controversial route would be to simply move the Bobcats to Seattle, (They have no history, c'mon) rebrand them the SuperSonics, and move the Hornets to the Eastern Conference, either as the NOH or the Charlotte Hornets. Finally, move the OKC Thunder to the Southwest Division. Fixes some errors, and we keep it at 30 teams.

6. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

I don't think the NBA should be adding teams right now, but Seattle certainly needs to stand in line behind cities like Albuquerque, Las Vegas, Omaha, Birmingham, Boise, Casper, Des Moines, Fargo, Madison . . .

Okay, some of them are kind of small. But Albuquerque, Las Vegas, and Omaha are bigger than Miami, for example. And five times as big as Green Bay, to cite another immensely successful professional sports town. And they didn't recently fail dismally as the site of an NBA franchise. We can feel badly for the fans from Seattle. But not as badly as for the fans from, say, Albuquerque.

But should the NBA expand? When all these franchises just want to tank because LeBron James doesn't play for them? The bottom five teams should have a round-robin playoff, with the winner getting the number one draft pick. And the other teams being contracted for some period of time. Maybe just a year, and then they could challenge some member of the bottom five for their franchise spot the year after. Might add a little excitement to the tanking life.

7. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

But anyway, my vote is no. You seem to have left out that option.

8. Drawkwa22

Drawkwa22 Member

Future merchandising sales, licensing, sponsorships, etc.

9. Handles

Handles Member

I've seen it listed from some posters here but I'm in agreement: I want to see the NBA back in Seattle, and in Albuquerque as well. Both cities love their basketball. Plus, ABQ has no pro sports teams. Could we see a surge of support like we did with OKC?

10. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

At one point the league wanted to add like 6 teams in Europe (my source is NBA 2k12 broadcasting btw) so I think Honolulu is reasonable.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Screw George Karl.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

I've heard that ridiculous idea too, but I think a lot of that was Stern just trying to get european fans.

However, at least the european teams would be playing each other (they're relatively close enough) but Hawaii would be on it's own. Even if it did all of it's away games on one big stretch- they'd have an unfair advantage at their home games since the opposing teams would be gassed.

On a semi-related note- where were you doing my expansion challenge? I have a felling you would have enjoyed it.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

15. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Seattle deserves another basketball team

16. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

17. tigereye

tigereye Member

Bump for new arena renderings, courtesy of 360 Architecture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. tigereye

tigereye Member

More renderings of "The Volcano" lol

[​IMG]

19. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

That's supposed to be a basketball arena? Cool, I think. Happy for Seattle.

20. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

that's dope. with this, barclays, and the new warriors arena going up soon I really think Toyota Center needs some kinda aesthetic improvements to the exterior in the not-too-distant future