1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Neutral site games in years past (Did not know this)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Dec 5, 2017.

?

Did you know the NBA use to have neutral site games of around 20+ a year for each team?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  3. Better for the league to do this now

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Worse for the league to do this now

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jayfree

jayfree Member

The NBA from it's inauguration to around 1972 use to hold multiple neutral site games a year. Back in the early 60s these could range around 20 to 30 games in a season for each team. I find this intriguing and something I absolutely had no idea about.

Of course back then they were always looking to gauge interest from other cities for expansion as well as the players weren't as widely known as today due to coverage, but I wonder how that would play today if each team had around 33 home and road games and 16 neutral site games.

ramotadab likes this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They were GROWING the BRAND
    Now . .. they don't have too....
    the equivalent is games in MEXICO and CHINA

They growing again . . .. . but using the Pre Seasom for it more now

Rocket River

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Wilt's 100 game was at a neutral site.

I'm a big advocate of MGM Arena Las Vegas being a neutral site. Each team has two games, a Home and Away. The season ticketholder owners of the "Home" game get to make a vacation around it or sell it easily on the secondary market. Also, pretty much ever day of the regular season year, Vegas could/would be hosting an NBA game for any visitors.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We played someone in Mexico City during the regular season back when Barkley was playing didn't why? I swear Phoenix played someone OUTDOORS one time.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

phoenix played that game in the preseason at an outdoor tennis court. I watched it and it was nuts. Shots way off because of the wind.

6. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Toyota Center is basically a neutral site, so the Rockets get 41 of those a year!

MVP4THREE and Jake Tower like this.
  7. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I would love to watch a series of games played in smaller more intimate college basketball venues like Cameron Indoor, Allen Fieldhouse, Rupp Arena Assembly Hall, The Pit, Carrier Dome, etc.