1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Networking Help] Two SSIDs one One Router

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I want to get a single wireless router but have two SSIDs
    One secure and one for guest.

I want to:
    1. Set up so that a printer can be on the secure side. And on printed to from the secure side. (As well as from the wired machines and there will be a wired printer) - (or should I bother trying to do a print server)
    2. I want to regulate the IPs so secure gets one part of the scope and guest gets another. I don't want conflicts.

I am looking for the simplest solution cause my friend is not overly savvy
    And I want to keep the follow up to a minimum.

Rocket River.
    I have set up wireless routers before but I want to make sure I do it right.
    Esp since I am coming as Johnny come lately and think tearing down the whole set up and starting from scratch is the answer to their problems with the setup.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Most routers these days come with a Guest Network option to activate which is a separate SSID from your WiFi. The guest network also should give you an option to isolate guests on their own network separate from any other devices that are connected to your router via your WiFi or Ethernet.

Check this article out.

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...-to-share-a-look-at-guest-wi-fi-networks.html

Hope this helps.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Thanks. I appreciate it alot.
    They have this set up but no one in the office knows the access username and
    password to their router. Whoever set it up is not longer with them

So I think starting from scratch will be best

Rocket River

4. famicom

famicom Member

There should be a reset switch on the router, and the default username and password should either be on the sticker of the router or could be found on the manual online.

5. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Most default to admin -- password for the log in credentials. We are dealing with a situation at work where a guy hacked into a router while standing outside another guys house and sent a bunch of stuff to kids at school. It traced back to the guy whose house it was but he has been cleared. Now they are working on finding out who hacked into the router. Fun stuff. Moral of the story kids, is change your default router log in...

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think he even set the IP. out side of the regular 192.168.***.***

So it too a few moments to find the gateway.

Rocket River

7. famicom

famicom Member

That sucks.. seems like it would be best to reset it and set new login info (also get's the old IT guy out). Easiest situation is that the router has the guest signal, or if it has a 2.4ghz and 5ghz you can always be set with different SSID's. Once the printer is added to the secure network, only those on that network could be able to see it. The management could be done without a server but depends mostly if the router has those features.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Have you googled the type of router? I have done that in the past to help friends and family change their router set-up. You should find out the default username/pasword and steps to take to reset everything.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I did look up the Defaults but they did not work
    But I do have them in my back pocket for the reset

wanted to make sure everything was ready before resetting the system

"Do no harm" type of thing

Rocket River

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yeah, I did a reset for my friends who had a router set up for them but didn't know the username/password. I was able to use the defaults once I performed the reset.