1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets structuring new deal for Anthony

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tuckie, Dec 21, 2010.

1. tuckie

tuckie Member

Found this on Yahoo sports, by Adrian Wojnarowski.

original link

Quote:
    The Denver Nuggets and New Jersey Nets are advancing on another complicated multiteam trade proposal that would likely fit Carmelo Anthony’s(notes) criteria for signing a contract extension with the Nets, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Anthony is inclined to accept a trade and contract extension with New Jersey over his preferred choice of New York only if the Nets are able to bring back a package of significant talent with him, league sources involved in the talks said on Monday.

So far, there are trade scenarios that include a combination of Anthony’s Denver teammates – including forward Al Harrington(notes) – and other league players coming to the Nets. .....

I am wondering how can Nets be any better than the Nuggets after the trade. Though Lopez+Carmelo+Harris can do some damage in the East but such combination is not on par with the Celtics and Heats IMHO.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you guys think Chauncey Billups will be moved with Carmelo?

Will they make Lawson the starter If they move Melo out?

3. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

We should help them structure the deal.

It might accomplish three things:

1) F*** the Knicks Over. Always nice.
    2) Maybe fleece some value for us
    3) Begin the freefall of the Nuggets, so we get a better seed in the playoffs

4. tuckie

tuckie Member

Recall that the Nets made a deal to collect picks from us and the Lakers. It seems to me that they were preparing the picks for Denver such that the Nets still has talent on the team after trading for Carmelo.

5. Houston_Rockets

I continue to say this, the is NO WAY, Melo will go to the NJN.

Why??? They simply SUCK, 8-20, with one of the most skilled big man in the league, like some people say (Brook Lopez is overrated)

PeAcE

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

Unless Devin Harris is involved in the deal I doubt it.

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

The Nuggets’ sudden urgency to move the unhappy Anthony is the reason more teams have been calling lately, including two contenders who are willing to chase a championship with Anthony as a rental player, a league source said. The Nuggets could do those deals without consulting Anthony, because those teams aren’t requiring a contract extension with Anthony to make the trade.

Sounds like the Rockets and Portland, they are the two "contenders" that call everyone asking about their star players. Neither will get him, they are simply bidders that will drive up the price for New Jersey.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the problem with the nets is they're bit pieces right now and they have a hell of a lot of draft picks, if carmelo went there and they had something to build around, they would fill out pretty quick

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, I've always felt that Melo isn't about winning. But who knows. Maybe he's colluding with Chris Paul to go to one of the NY teams.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

They're trading those picks to the Nugs in the trade, according to all reports. So they don't really have anyone left.

The only way Melo can win on the court is if he already has a wink-wink deal done with CP3. Otherwise I just don't see more than multiple 1st round exits.

11. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

You don't think that we already are doing that? Trust me, Morey will have his hands on something. In fact, a minor, yet important move could have already been done with T-Will.

12. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

There's been speculation that Chauncey, JR & KMart will all be moved if Melo is. Reportedly the front office wants to build around Lawson, Nene & Afflalo and see what they have along with any assets they get back.

Wanna bet?

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

From people I know and trust earlier, I heard it was melo and nene for favors,williams,murphy and a few other with picks.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Hmmm, interesting. But I guess Williams is out of the equation now.

The simplest two-team trade I can think of between New Jersey and Denver to land Melo AND additional talent with the Nets while also potentially satisfying Denver's rebuilding needs would be this:

Carmelo Anthony
    for
    Derrick Favors, Troy Murphy's expiring contract and multiple first round picks

and, as a separate trade to avoid trade restrictions:

Al Harrington (with four years, nearly $28M remaining AFTER this season)
    for
    Sasha Vujacic's expiring contract

If I'm Denver and can start my rebuild with NO long-term contracts (other than Birdman's sub-MLE deal) clogging up my cap, I'd probably do those deals.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Is Al Harrington enough "additonal talent" to convince Melo to stay with the Nets?

I am thinking they need to get something else from another team to convince Melo. Who that might be and how they'd get such talent is a mystery to me.

16. The Situation

The Situation Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TDw48rY_nW8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TDw48rY_nW8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Maybe Iggy?

This just seems odd to me. This is the perfect report to come out if your the Nuggets because the Knicks have been playing hardball with them

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

lol @ his facial expression when the guy first told him he was headed to the Nets.

19. ApuN

ApuN Member

The Rockets arn't contenders.

Trust me, its other teams.

Melo aint coming here

20. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Something big is going down looks like Denver will blow it up and start from scratch.