1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Nets Sign Jason Collins

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rocketsjudoka, Feb 23, 2014.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/jason-collins-brooklyn-nets-10-day-contract-022314

Jason Collins became the NBA's first active openly gay player Sunday, signing a 10-day contract with the Brooklyn Nets.

Collins will join the Nets for their game Sunday night in Los Angeles against the Lakers. The 35-year-old center revealed at the end of last season he is gay, but he was a free agent and had remained unsigned.

With a need for another big man, the Nets turned to the 7-foot Collins, who helped them reach two NBA Finals in the early 2000s.

"The decision to sign Jason was a basketball decision," general manager Billy King said in a statement. "We needed to increase our depth inside, and with his experience and size, we felt he was the right choice for a 10-day contract."

Collins has played 12 NBA seasons, including his first seven with the Nets, when they were in New Jersey and Jason Kidd was their point guard. Kidd is now the Nets' coach and Collins has been a teammate of several other current Nets.

"Jason told us that his goal was to earn another contract with an NBA team. Today, I want to commend him on achieving his goal. I know everyone in the NBA family is excited for him and proud that our league fosters an inclusive and respectful environment," Commissioner Adam Silver said.

Collins will wear No. 98 to honor Matthew Shepard, who was killed in 1998, Alex Raskin of the Wall Street Journal reported. The jersey won't be ready tonight, so Collins will wear No. 46. The murder of Shepard, who was targeted because he was gay, brought national attention to hate-crime legislation.

The Nets worked out Collins during the All-Star break and met with him again Sunday, with his twin brother, Jarron, hinting that history would be made.

"Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday. Today should be a pretty cool day!" Jarron Collins wrote on Twitter.

The news on Collins comes as Michael Sam, the SEC defensive player of the year from Missouri who recently revealed he is gay, is taking part in the NFL draft combine. Sam's on-field workouts in Indianapolis are scheduled for Monday.

Jason Collins played 38 games last season with Boston and Washington and averaged 1.1 points and 1.6 rebounds in limited minutes. For his career, the 7-foot Collins averages 3.6 points and 3.8 rebounds.

His announcement last spring was followed by numerous NBA players insisting he would be welcomed in the locker room. Collins has played for five other teams and is well respected inside and outside the league -- he attended the State of the Union as a guest of first lady Michelle Obama.

"I just know Jason as a person and as a player. That's what I'm happy about. He has earned it. He's a great guy. It's good for the league. The important thing is to judge him as a person and a basketball player," Chicago coach Tom Thibodeau said.

"I know people who have coached him, and I know how highly thought of he is."

The Nets had an opening for a big man after trading Reggie Evans along with Jason Terry to Sacramento on Wednesday for guard Marcus Thornton. King said Thursday that Collins would be among the players they would look at, insisting they wouldn't be concerned about any extra attention the signing of Collins would provide.

"We're going to bring in a basketball player," King said. "It's not about marketing or anything like that."

The Nets posted a photo on their Twitter account of Kidd watching Collins sign his contract, encouraging followers to retweet it to welcome Collins to Brooklyn.

Collins is tied for third in Nets history with 510 games played, and also ranks in their top 10 in minutes played, and offensive rebounds and total rebounds. A limited offensive player, the Nets hope he still provides a presence defensively and on the boards.

"I know Jason Collins is a competitor. One thing I know about him is he fouls very hard," Miami's Dwyane Wade said with a laugh. "He's one of those tough veterans. I'm sure he's happy to be back playing in the league. Welcome back."

1 person likes this.
  2. Mr. Space City

meh, garbage player who is now making headlines by the thirsty media because he likes men. :rolleyes:

3. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Lol I know how pathetic! He still a scrub.

4. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The problem isn't that this man is gay, as there are probably many others still in the closet, but that he openly sucks. Very lackadaisical in playing style. He would be the worst player in the league taller than 6'9".

5. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

So were there any other Gay Players besides him?

6. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Of course. Barkley and the Inside crew were talking about it last season. Gay players were prevalent throughout the league history. I believe Kareem Abdul Jabbar is probably gay. Who else...

7. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Jason Collins handled the press conference very well. Very humble and focused on the basketball at hand. At the same time, he addressed the questions about his historic significance in a very unassuming and direct way.

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

9. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

Rudy Gay.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Mikhail Prokhorov is no longer allowed to return to the mother land.

11. mig0s

mig0s Member

Happy for Jason Collins to land a 10-days contract but I doubt the nets will keep him after because he sucks balls

da puns

1 person likes this.
  12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Six hard fouls. About what you can expect from any 7" big guy available at this time of the year.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Thread is probable to be locked due to gay jokes.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

Don't see why this signing is press conference worthy

15. da1

da1 Member

Still see a lot of resentment due to his orientation. Sad and pathetic.

1 person likes this.
  16. Awesome

Awesome Member

Actually he just sucks, plain and simple. Nobody cares to have him on their team because, well he just sucks.

17. rawool

rawool Member

"... he just sucks ..."

:grin: :p

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Not a single gay joke so far. Just people mentioning that Jason Collins isn't very good at basketball.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah Jason Collins isn't very good but him being the first openly gay player on a major American professional sports team this is news. As much as we should be beyond such things I don't think we are there yet.

20. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

Hasheem Thabeet says Hi :)