1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets offering Houston's draft pick to dump salary.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/03/12/3093385/observations-bobcats-at-hornets.html

Interesting, the salary they want to dump is rather minor, within the range of the Jeffries salary the Rockets took. Just one more year for both these guys. Seems the Nets want to open some salary room to possibly sign Howard and get him some help (like retain Hump).

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/nets.jsp

Wonder if the Rockets would eat the salary to get their pick back. Besides, Farmar is a good backup if Dragic is leaving via FA.

2. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I totally read this as "the nets are trying to trade TO the rockets a draft pick if Rockets take on a salary from the Nets".

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Apostrophe fail.

4. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

It's good value, but by taking such a deal the Rockets -- more or less -- would give up on pursuing Deron and Dwight in free agency themselfs.
    Obviously, that's a long shot as is, but if you take on Farmar and Petro you'd have as much as $7.75M less to spend in free agency, which could end up being the deciding factor.

It's risk vs. reward, basically.

I could be wrong, but I see the Rockets going the less safe, but potentially more rewarding route this time.

5. conquistador#11

we can offer them T will. I've heard he's an asset with a ton of upside.

6. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Damn, Jordan Farmer is actually playing well and i still very young and you get a draft pick on top of that?

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Its guaranteed to be a mediocre pick at best, so I wouldn't. And i don't think thats Morey's game either.

8. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Actually, if we do Bogut trade - it would make a lot of sense to do this as well.

9. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

NOoo. I would love for us to keep our pick this year by not making the playoffs, next year they can have their pick back. We can work miracles with our second round picks anyway.

10. Garner

Garner Member

Any opportunity to get out from under this pick obligation is welcomed.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That pick is #15+ right now, so it's not that big a deal to re-acquire, especially considering how well the NYK pick is trending right now. Anyway, it depends on other deals. If we don't get a big trade now, no way we take on salary and kill our offseason free agency money. But, if we do do a big trade now that kills our position anyway, we might have space or TE to send their way.

12. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

agreed.

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I think it's 17th at the moment, but with the Kyle Lowry mystery injury cloud, the value may be dropping -- teams may think they won't see that pick until 2013 at best.

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

So did I. I changed the title.

15. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Should we take a bad contract off NJ as well as Oakafor for extra lottery picks? We already have Knicks.

We could end up with 3-4 lottery picks.

16. mrm32

mrm32 Member

To send in a package for Dwight Howard?

17. VBG

VBG Member

That is essentially what the Cavs did. They paid for the Clippers pick (Baron Davis' contract) and got the number 1 pick in the draft and Kyrie Irving.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What if they amnestied Scola... or even Kevin Martin? Not saying it's ideal, just pointing out there could be a way to do it, and get the draft obligation back.

Not sure I would do it for a #16 or #17 pick, but it's not crazy to think the Rockets miss the playoffs and finish behind Utah, Portland... maybe even Phoenix, depending on what if any other trades are made and what happens with Lowry... in which case you are looking at a potential #10 pick.

If only it was more obvious where they'd finish up.

19. Nook

Nook Member

With Lowry out for 2-3 more weeks (possibly longer), I think it is likely that we will miss the playoffs and finish behind Utah, Portland, Minnesota, Phoenix and possibly GS.... the Rockets would then be looking at a couple of lottery picks in the 8-10 range.

20. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

Give us draft pick, farmar and humphries for Thabeet, Flynn and Hill and you have a deal