1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets no longer pursuing 4 team Melo Trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SunsRocketsfan, Sep 28, 2010.

1. SunsRocketsfan

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5627011

The proposed four-team deal that would send Carmelo Anthony to New Jersey is no longer being actively pursued by the Nets, according to NBA front-office sources.

Although it's possible that the trade could be revived or that the Nets will construct another multi-team offer for Anthony that the Nuggets find more enticing, sources close to the situation said Tuesday that the Nets were no longer prepared to wait on Denver's indecision, which has left several players in limbo since ESPN.com reported Friday that the framework was in place on a blockbuster deal that also involved Charlotte and Utah.

Anthony
    Anthony

The Bergen Record reported that Nets general manager Billy King had issued a Tuesday deadline to the Nuggets to finally accept or reject the original proposal, which would have brought Nets rookie Derrick Favors, Jazz veteran Andrei Kirilenko and two future first-round picks to Denver. Nets guard Devin Harris would have gone to Charlotte and Bobcats forward Boris Diaw would have headed to Utah.

Yet it became clear after a stagnant weekend -- during which Denver held talks with other teams about Anthony -- that the Nets, Bobcats and Jazz were losing patience. Another issue is the constant questions players such as Harris and Kirilenko have been fielding daily about their futures because the near-trade has been so highly publicized.

Sources say that the Nets, by backing away now, hope to ease some of the tension in training camp under first-year coach Avery Johnson after four days' of practices gripped by anticipation of the trade.

ESPN.com reported as early as last week that the Nuggets, even as they advanced deep into trade talks with the other three teams, have been clinging to hope that Anthony -- who has had virtually no contact with the organization all summer -- could be convinced to reconsider his desire to be traded once he reported to training camp and started hearing pro-Nuggets voices again.

That process has begun, but sources close to the situation continue to say that the Nuggets' approach is futile, insisting that Anthony remains determined to leave in free agency in July.

And sources with knowledge of Denver's thinking have maintained for weeks that the Nuggets will not keep him beyond the February trading deadline if they believe he's headed for free agency, after watching Cleveland and Toronto lose LeBron James and Chris Bosh, respectively.

After Tuesday's first practice of the season with the Nuggets, speaking to local reporters, Anthony said: "As far as that [trade] stuff goes, I'm here right now. Whatever happens is going to happen. Like I said [Monday at media day], I'll let the front office handle that."

ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard reported Monday that a major reason Denver would not sign off on the original four-team proposal is because the trade as constructed would have saddled the Nuggets with nearly $10 million in additional salary and luxury-tax costs this season.

A source with knowledge of Denver's thinking told Broussard: "[Nuggets owner] Stan Kroenke is not going to pay that much money to take a step backwards. They'll have to find a way for Denver to take on less money for that deal to happen."

Although the proposed deal would have furnished Denver with two future first-rounders and Favors -- satisfying many of the pre-requisites it established when it began fielding offers for Anthony earlier this month -- Kroenke's 2010-11 payroll would have increased by $4.8 million, which would force the Nuggets to spend an extra $9.6 million (including luxury-tax penalties) to become a worse team.

Broussard reported Monday that the financial implications made it very unlikely to happen in its current form, despite that fact that Nuggets adviser Bret Bearup -- longtime consultant to Kroenke and son Josh, who serves as Denver's president -- has wanted to trade Anthony for quite some time.

The New York Knicks, who are Anthony's team of choice, have continued to pursue Anthony, but Denver has generally been cold to conversations with the Knicks. Sources told Broussard that the Nuggets are not only lukewarm on the players available from the Knicks but also believe that New York might have done some back-channel recruiting of Anthony over the summer.

The Nuggets, sources said, are thus determined not to work with the Knicks except as a last resort.

But the expectation around the league remains that Anthony, because he still possesses the ability to walk away in free agency in July, will not be a Nugget past February. That perception was fueled by media reports that Anthony did not participate in several of the promotional activites players typically perform on media day, with the Denver Post noting that Anthony's picture was removed Monday from a highly visible advertisement on the Nuggets' website and replaced by second-year guard Ty Lawson.

Marc Stein covers the NBA for ESPN.com.

2. SunsRocketsfan

so if the Nets are out.. and according to the article Denver really doesnt want to deal with the Knicks that opens the door for us. Of course there was another thread that Hou is out of the running.. but ehh who knows

3. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

AR is coming to houston lol
    get er done morey

4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Sounds like Denver is irrational right now. Maybe around the trade deadline in February they panic and the price gets a whole lot cheaper.

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Down to:
    1) Nuggets keep him for until the off season when he becomes a big sack of TE.
    2) Trade him to team for a 1 year rental for pennies on the dollar.
    3) "Ladies and gentleman, please welcome your newest Denver Nugget. Weighing in at 325lbs and playing C and PF - at the same time - Mrrrrr Eddddiiieeee Currrryyy."

6. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Seriously, how are they going to find the perfect trade to meet every one of their conditions and general trade rules?

1) Not add to the salary cap/ go into luxury tax
    2) Get young, elite talent back
    2a) Get said talent back at X position
    3) Get picks back
    4) Get expirings to cut salary later
    5) Potentially dump an albatross contact along with Melo
    6) Match outgoing/incoming salaries

7. hatwin1976

hatwin1976 Member

I really think Anthony will go to NY at the end.

The best chance for Denver to get a deal done was already gone.

People overrated the salary side on Anthony. He will let this season go since it begins with Denver (a whole season with a new team might be an attraction to him). Denver's front office is really stupid. I really do not believe Anthony will sign any contract with other team when this season apparently will not fruit for him. Next February? Summer is so close at that time.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

What is going to get interesting is if Denver really has proof of the Knicks tampering with Melo last year. If they have got the goods on the Knicks, look out. That will likely mean the end of Melo to NY and that leaves Denver and Melo dealing with NJ or Houston or some other team. By that time, the Knicks pick value will be soaring, Brooks will be blowing up and our trade assets will be even more valuable, while Melo's and Denver's options become much more limited.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Wow. Honestly I just lost some respect for their new GM. Andrei Kirilenko, 2 first round picks and Derrick Favors is a lot more than what Minny got for KG...and Melo is no KG.

What do they mean its not enough? LOL are they forgetting that they're on a 1 season deadline? If they wait till the mid-season the price isn't going to go up, its going to go DOWN. The time to trade Melo is now, when his stock is high with all the media hype and people are forgetting he's not on the same level of LBJ, Durant, Wade and Bryant.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

My immediate thoughts:

-It's my understanding that the Nets were really peeved by Anthony's hem and hawing after initialy showing (feigning) interest and the Nuggets trying so hard to better deal the trade after they finally worked out an agreement.

-The Nuggets probably just saw their best offer disappear.

-One less bidder, that much less leverage. No way do the Bulls cough up Noah at this point. No reason for Morey to give in to overreaching demands.

1 person likes this.
  11. Ketchup&Mustard

This.

The minute I read this article I realized that if Denver waits until the trade deadline our chances of landing Melo are much greater.

12. Audioout

Audioout Member

I expected Denver to be this foolish. I don't know why I expected it, but I did.

13. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

This is a difficult one for the Rockets' draft picks acquired from NY.

If Denver is looking to trade at some point, before the deadline, our picks are looking incredibly strong because there is no way NY can trade for Melo.

Now if Denver is actually looking to let Melo walk and sign as a UFA next offseason, then our picks will plummet, because I can see Melo signing with the Knicks if he becomes a UFA next season.

What do we do? Trade the picks ASAP, or not? It's such a tough decision.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why will denver look to let Melo walk away next season? That's what might happen but there's no way they would want that kind of outcome. In fact there's virtually 0 chance of that happening as even Melo would want a sign and trade.

15. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

If Melo walks, that has no bearing on our 2011 swap. Duh

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm gonna apply to the Nuggets for the GM position. Maybe I can do better.

and I don't even care anymore where Melo ends up. I'll be excited if he comes here without us giving up too much talent, but not anticipating it at all.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

.........and a good chance not much bearing on 2012 after everybody wakes up and realizes that the 2012 season is going to be pi..ed away in a lockout.

18. HorneR

HorneR Member

Seriously. He needs only to look towards what happened to Cle and Tor just this summer to see what can, and will happen if he holds on to Melo.

Not to mention a potential replacement franchise player + what will most likely be a lottery pick is a lot more than teams in their situation generally come away with. Take the deal, and consider yourself lucky.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This is about money. The Nuggets have one of the league's highest payrolls already before the deal and would have to absorb an additional $9-10M (luxury tax included) on this year's books. Clearly, that's a bit of a problem for a team taking a monster step backwards.

1 person likes this.
  20. realmustang

realmustang Member

I understand why Denver backed out of it. Who would want to pay $10 million more in salary and luxury tax and have a crapier team? As much as some people on this GARM complain about how the Rockets overpaid for some players, I'm surprised that nobody has agreed with Denver's decision so far.