1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Stranger Things

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tallanvor, Jun 9, 2016.

1. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Racist

2. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Got through it this week. I had it pitched to me a life-changing greatest of all-time show, which it was definitely not. But I usually set low expectations even when there's big hype, which I've found allows me to enjoy about anything I watch. I'll keep tuning in in the future.

Good characters, good suspenseful mystery, a badly written plot point or two along the way but on balance, very good.

I did particularly like how they didn't rush to team up all the protagonists into a supergroup. Essentially until the very end, you had Nancy and Jonathon doing their own thing, you had the boys doing their own thing, and you had Hopper and Joyce doing their own thing, all of this while sharing very little information with each other and sometimes working at cross purposes. This helped build suspense and prolong the conflict without relying on protagonist stupidity to add danger. (You could argue their lack of communication WAS protagonist stupidity, but in context with how unbelievable the monster sounded to the uninitiated, it made sense to me.)

The monster itself was a little dumb-looking if you ask me, but the atmosphere around it and how they built it up was great.

The one thing that rubbed me wrong was Hopper (who up until that exact second was the most relatable character) giving the obviously evil suits the correct, current location of Eleven and the boys fully knowing that she would be re-enslaved if captured. Maybe he understood better than I did that they'd fail, but it seemed to me at the time to be an immoral choice that came out of nowhere and wasn't acknowledged in-universe as troubling in any way. Anyone have a take on that deal he made?

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Casting news. I like Reiser.

4. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I'm not sure why, but this is one of the shows I feel will have a significant drop in quality the second season.

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I see you deleted it, I was saying - I thinking you meant to put this in the Westworld Thread =D

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I had the same feeling about Fargo and look how it turned out.

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

agreed. I would of liked to see them do a fargo thing where they tell a whole new story with different characters for the new season. They could still keep the 80's motif.

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Season 1 was set in 1983. Season 2 will be set in 1984.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The monster looked like a reverse face hugger alien, with a body.

I think the deal was that he gives back the girl by revealing where they were hiding, him getting the chance in the Upside Down to rescue the boy, and everyone is left alone provided that no one talks about the ordeal. Seems like he told the girl beforehand since he was hooking her up with eggos.

I would like a Fargo format. It's riskier for them to build on the last season, but there's some interesting unexplained hooks they could expand upon....Russian ESPers, how to get that girl back, other 80s themes. They just need to make the universe bigger and interesting rather than cashing in on the old school nostalgia that gave the show half of its charm.

11. Roscoe Arbuckle

Whenever there's trouble, we're there on the double
    We're the Bloodhound Gang
    If you've got the time, we've got the crime
    We're the Bloodhound Gang.

Still amazed I recalled that theme song.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

http://screenrant.com/stranger-things-season-2-wraps/

13. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

14. Buck Turgidson

That's a helluva trailer.

Roscoe Arbuckle and seclusion like this.
  15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

So before they couldn't afford even B level CGI but now they can afford freaking Thriller and Vincent Price? Holy budget increases Batman. Looks great.

Unfortunately Hopper is using a rifle with A2 style hand guards in 1984 so will be literally unwatchable.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Indeed it was.

And Dustin has all his teeth now.

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They showed it twice in Hall H ... and both times the crowd was floored. Masterfully done trailer. Can't wait for October.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

very skeptical of a second season, but that was a good trailer

19. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

It's gonna be lit in the upside down ya'll

20. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I thought the show was a one and done season type show as well. But theyre doing a second season of thirteen reasons why which makes no sense to me either.