1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix Original Series] Hemlock Grove

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yonkers, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

3rd original series by Netflix. To be released in full on April 19th. It's supposed to be some teenage werewolf type of thriller.
    First review from Hollywood Review is not good though. But they only reviewed the first two episodes so there is still hope.

2. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Even if the series isn't good, this still bodes well for Netflix. With the cost of getting rights going up, up, and away; Netflix is doing a great job adding quality buys, such as all of the new Cartoon Network shows, and the content from Disney. They did GREAT with House of Cards, and I'm sure that Arrested Development will be great. Who knows, maybe they could do more things like that, things like bringing back shows like Firefly and others like it.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I might check it out. House of Cards showed me Netflix knows what they're doing.

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Why do you hope such a thing would be good? Are you a teenage girl?

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Nothing feminine about van surfing.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The amount needed to make a House of Cards type success without an easily traceable gain in revenues will ultimately make such projects non-viable without some ad content or compromises on production, re-writes and editing time, and/or talent. Anything that isn't a critical and popular success will be worthless in this medium. Netflix may even end up having to cannibalize the site-based viewership for their best in-house productions through DVD releases or syndication. And if NBC isn't offering Spacey starring vehicles and development deals yet then they're still asleep at the switch.

7. Yonkers

Not necessarily. If they're able to just maintain their level of subscribers they come out ahead because the cost of developing these shows aren't as high as the cost to license them from the various movie houses. Of course their investors will want more than that eventually but this is a good step.

8. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Can't they eventually release this material? Like blu-ray DVD set of the new Arrested Development season or House of Cards

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I watched a couple of these. It's really turrible. It's not even remotely close to the quality of House of Cards.

10. Zion

Zion Member

Was really looking forward to this after watching House of Cards and loving it.

but the reviews so far have been disappointing. :(

11. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I hadn't heard about this show until I got on Netflix last night and saw it on there. So I figured I would go ahead and watch the first episode.

It's not that great. It's just yet another high school vampire/werewolf/gypsy show. It's trying to be like Vampire Diaries, but it's not even close to being as good as that show.

12. Yonkers

I forced myself to watch 4 episodes. I only really got that far because I was watching it on one screen and playing WoW on the other.
    It's really bad. Bad acting. Bad writing. Bad special effects. Just bad.

13. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Watched about 15 mins of it but stopped because the wife fell asleep.

I did start watching Lost Girl which is surprisingly good.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I watched the first episode and thought it was OK. Then I read this thread and will probably not watch any more. This site has too much sway on my life.

15. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Do any of y'all watch this show? It's pretty good. It's like True Blood when it used to be good but with even more gore. Eli Roth really is something else when it comes to gore. Holy crap. I'm in the middle of season 2 and it's really kicked up a notch in quality I think.