1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Black Summer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NewRoxFan, Apr 17, 2019.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

New zombie series. I've watched the first four episodes. While the Walking Dead had a big advantage of being new/fresh, this series is enjoyable so far. The first episode introduced the main characters with a pretty good effect

Showing previous or future characters to be introduced, so you get a sense that this is all happening at one time

Of course its a diverse cast (blonde woman, black guy, Asian girl, Hispanic guy) but acting seems fine and the scripts are good with only a few "why did they do that?"s. I especially like that they break the episodes into smaller scenes with appropriate and even clever scene titles. I also like the the slightly new way they handle the zombies. And of course, the monsters are often not the zombies. Good music, good film works, good sound effects.

I know there will be a reasonable "oh no, another zombie show" but so far this one is worth it.

Deckard and GRENDEL like this.
  2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Curious about this because I finally gave up on Walking Dead.......Going to check it out....

3. NewRoxFan

I too gave up on TWD, but I sorta regret it after years of investment, if for the only reason to see how it ends.

GRENDEL likes this.
  4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Started it yesterday, it’s well done, I like it

I gave up on TWD after 1 season, Show was garbage

5. Buck Turgidson

Do you *know* that they identify as those genders? A little presumptuous, I'd say.

Big MAK and NewRoxFan like this.
  6. conquistador#11

Thought it was tense AF. even if it's categorized as a "slow burner", I couldn't wait to get to the next episode,in a good way.
    Then, somewhere between the last couple of episodes, they dropped the apocalypse ball and you're left wondering where is this going?
    A zombie show with adhd. No regrets on watching it though.

7. dmoneybangbang

Two episodes in.... I like the “short stories” that tell the larger story. Like how they have a story from the zombies point of view.

Seems like a solid show so far.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It started out like it might be interesting. First four or five episodes kept me wanting to see where it was going. Then they try for a big ending and IMO, the whole thing falls apart behind a lack of creativity/lack of directorial skill and too much ambition.

The "Lord of The Flies" at the school was the high point but could have been done better. When they crash the drug house and make everybody zombies so they could steal guns it got kind of stupid. The giant shootout at the stadium made no sense and was really poorly done. By that point I felt like I'd wasted my time watching, but the show was over.

Amiga and conquistador#11 like this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It was a D- to me.

10. Entropy

Entropy Member

For anyone who doesn't know, this show is also a prequel to Syfy's Z Nation show.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

Saw the last three episodes last night. While there was a brief "why are they doing this" (hidden in the spoiler) I enjoyed the show. Amazing how quick season 1 went. I continued to like how they linked scenes and characters.

The part where they had to get the weapons. So dark in there, both literally and figuratively... gratuitous attempted rape scene.

It was also easy to know which characters would die, even without wearing red shirts. ;)

Separately, and less an issue, the scenes in the downtown got confusing with all the running around, but I guess that was required to show how insane and difficult it was to go through the major downtown area.

I will definitely look for season 2.

12. NewRoxFan

Thanks... I didn't know, and now I will search out Z Nation.

13. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Seriously? I liked Black Summer and found Z Nation to be such a try too hard show.

14. Roscoe Arbuckle

Another Zombie Series?

Xerobull likes this.
  15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

nah, this show should cut ties with can of crap asap. This show is much better with good action and none of that goofy ****

dmoneybangbang and daywalker02 like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is no way Son
    cannot speak English.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I find it trashy, Black Summer is alrite.

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Wife and I finished this up last night, I really enjoyed it......that last episode downtown was great. Really enjoyed the way it was shot, it was chaotic but really put you in the scene, a bit reminiscent of Zack Synder's Dawn of the Dead......

NewRoxFan likes this.
  19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Glad you guys liked it. That's all that matters. No show is going to be universally loved. I just want to clarify, since a couple of comments about the final scene feel like maybe they are responses to what I said on the subject, maybe?

To me that last scene felt extremely staged, with a monotonous steady plodding rhythm that felt like little kids learning to dance the box step. It felt one of those 80's action movies where the henchman thugs form a nice circle around the hero, and patiently wait their turn to get their @ss kicked mano-a-mano as the rock soundtrack with the shrieking but polished electric guitar kicks in. I could almost feel the director looking over my shoulder screaming, "Queue the next zombie!"

It didnt feel particularly chaotic or confusing to me. If anything it was too ordered and linear. It felt... directed.

#19 Ottomaton, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    NewRoxFan and GRENDEL like this.
  20. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

On episode 4, not bad so far.

The chubby guy needs to die. I get annoyed in post apocalyptic shows when weak characters seems to survive. IRL, he'd be dead the second he left his house.

Who TF doesn't lock an automatic door to a treasurer of food in the grocery store? Lock it down, refresh, and plan.