1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nerve problems coming from neck

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by robbie380, Apr 26, 2010.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

To start I am going to see a neurologist for a 2nd time in early May, but I wanted to see if anyone on cf.net has had similar problems.

So to make a long story short...I had elbow surgery last August for ulnar nerve impingement (ulnar nerve transport and outerbridge surgery). My doc wanted a precautionary nerve test done to make sure there was no damage. My neurologist did that test where they stick the little needle in your skin and listen to the nerves firing. She went all the way up to my neck where the thing just went crazy. She wanted a cervical spinal MRI done and was asking if I ever had neck trauma. :eek: This was all news to me since my neck never hurt until she put that damn thing in my neck. So I didn't get the MRI done and had the elbow surgery.

8 months later I am still having median nerve issues. I see my doc again because the symptoms I'm having are similar to carpal tunnel syndrome. He gives me a brace and sends me to a PT. Once we start working on stuff I realize that all this stuff is coming from my neck and I understand why the neurologist was concerned :cool:. So I schedule an appt with my neurologist 3 weeks ago and my PT gives me some nerve glide exercises to help with the nerve tightness.

....Then one day I decided to have my gf give me a neck massage thinking that would help and holy crap that caused everything to blow up. I ended up having back spasms that night and my nerves were all jacked up on the right side of my back and right arm. Luckily, that subsided after a day and my PT said don't do that!

So fast forward a couple weeks (still waiting on the neurologist!) and I am doing some stretching where I am leaning forward with my back at like a 45 degree angle and boom! I get this nerve tightness in my upper right thigh :eek:. So I am thinking what else can I do other than post on CF.net until I can get in and see the doc.

Has anyone ever had nerve problems like this? I know everything is connected back there, but man it's like I have opened Pandora's Box. Should I see a chiropractor in the mean time? Should I just wait until May 6th and have the neurologist schedule the MRI? I'd like to get some mild relief for this, but I don't want to screw anything up either.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

That's what HE said. :eek:

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i know! :cool:

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Pinched nerves in your neck are nothing and shouldn't impact you at all. Man up! [/PointForward]

(In all seriousness, that does suck and unfortunately, I don't have anything of value to add to your situation. Just thought I'd use the opportunity to remind our resident genius who has repeatedly told us that nerve problems in the neck have next-to-zero impact.)

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Oh man I had a pinched nerve (I think) in my neck early last year and it was the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life. It was like a horrible head rush that lasted for 6 weeks. I seriously thought I was going to die at any second. I had MRI's done on both my neck and brain cause the pain was just incredible. I started a thread about it here: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=161835

I went to a great neurologist that gave me some injections over a few different sessions, and eventually the pain went away. I'm paranoid that it's going to come back because it was really f'in awful.

I tried neurologist, chiropractor, and massage. To be honest I'm not sure which helped me the most, but I would try them all and see if you can get any relief.

#5 Harrisment, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  6. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I fell asleep on the couch the other night and woke up with a stiff neck. For about the next 6-8 hours it was like any typical stiff neck you get from sleeping weird. But then that evening it got a lot worse. I took an Advil and tried sleeping it off, but that didn't help. Woke up (yesterday) in incredible pain and couldn't really move neck in any direction without it being painful. I took a really hot shower, popped another Advil, and the pain slowly subsided. Luckily I feel fine today. Must have been a pinched nerve or something.

How long have you been feeling the neck pain for?