1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nerve Damage in back?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cardpire, Oct 8, 2016.

1. cardpire

cardpire Member

On a really uncomfortable bus trip a couple months ago, where i couldn't get comfortable and was twisting and turning in awkward positions, which I suspect was the culprit of this, as it started just days after.

When I'm lying in bed and fold my right leg, it goes completely numb above the knee rather quickly. also my calf is pretty sore to walk on. and some mild discomfort up through my arm as well at times. when i shift around, i can feel a little popping in my lower back on the same side.

Any docs or anybody familiar with what might be wrong? i assume it's just a damaged nerve, and i know those can take a while to calm down, but it's been 2 months now.

Thanks

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

A lot of back pain is actually due to muscle strain. A few sessions of massage can relieve back pain for many people. The numbness above the knee could be from nerve inflammation instead of nerve damage. Your doc will probably prescribe you some prednisone and if it continues will refer you to imaging. How is your weight and blood glucose levels?

cardpire likes this.
  3. cardpire

cardpire Member

need to lose some weight. don't know my blood glucose levels.

there's no real back pain per se, but if i "flex" my lower back, i can produce a popping/shifting around sensation in lower right.

4. body slam

body slam Member

Sounds to me like part of your body is out of alignment. I would go to a chiropractor. If you do go to a chiropractor or a regular doctor go into complete detail about all the problems. Where the numbness, whats is popping and shifting everything.

5. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

I had the same problems... sort of
    Went to the chiropractor and physical therapist
    Nothing. It did relieve the pain for a couple days tho but it always came back. I had X-rays taken and they came back negative. Doctor said it could be sciatic nerve damage. The cause- bending and twisting too much aggravated the nerves in my back..
    my next step is to get an mri done..

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

yeah it makes sense that this is what it would be. thanks. i guess i need to figure out what to do for that.

7. Exiled

Exiled Member

I edited after i saw tochiee22's post. which is more likely to be accurate : sciatica

#7 Exiled, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  8. tochiee22

I was gonna mention acupuncture also..
    I was skeptical at first but read up on it and some people really did get rid of the pain.

Goggle it in Houston and see who pops up. There's a couple 4+ star reviews for a couple places..

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

could be sciatica...but that can be caused by misalignment...the popping is in your SI joint?

Check out neurokinetic therapy..

here's a list of local practicioners

Last Name First Name City State Email Level
    Card Cynthia Houston TX ckcard@me.com 1
    Daniel Joelle Houston TX jdprosoccer@gmail.com 1
    Freeman Donna Houston TX dmfree@sbcglobal.net 2
    Robertson Greg Houston TX robertsonpt@hotmail.com 1

And here's the instagram so you have an idea of how they work:

https://www.instagram.com/davidnkt1951/

cardpire likes this.
  10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Avoid chiropractor. Go see doctor. Exercise. Lose weight.

Good luck.

cardpire likes this.
  11. hvic

hvic Member

My chiropractor helped me with the same issue. I had a MRI and it showed herniated disc with impinged nerve and he came up with a conservative treatment that included stretching, muscle work, spinal decompression, acupuncture and if I need it an adjustment. Not every chiro other there are quacks but you just have to find a good one.

cardpire likes this.
  12. Bandwagoner

What about being a chiropractor makes him more qualified to suggest massage (I assume what you mean by muscle work) inversion therapy and stretching tho? Those along with exercise are sure to get results. Sounds more like they just do what they do then suggest things that actually work so you get real results. That makes him far better than telling you to avoid things that work while selling snake oil but I don't see why you would go seek out this person.

cardpire, no one seems to have mentioned inversion therapy. I'm told that crap works. My back is pretty much perfect so I can't testify first hand, but for disks and nerves that alone might sort you right out.

cardpire likes this.
  13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Could be a pinched nerve.

Had this problem as well, the pain ran down my right leg and on my foot.

Didn't go away for a few months even though I stopped going to gym. Then I tried jogging and it got better. It took awhile and now it's gone.

I guess the running loosened things up. I was on the verge of seeing a chiropractor or getting acupuncture.

cardpire likes this.
  14. Exiled

Exiled Member

unless there is frequent urge for going to the bathroom , sleeping on the floor in warm comfortable cloth is your best choice

cardpire likes this.
  15. body slam

body slam Member

After my MRI my medical doctor told me surgery was my only option to relieve the pain and get back to normal. I fond the most awesome chiropractor and with in 3 weeks I was back to normal. That was 18 years ago.

Actually hvic mentioned inversion therapy its a form of spinal decompression. I know several people that do it and love it.

To cardpire and tochiee22 try stretching your hamstrings on a regular basis and strengthening your core.

cardpire likes this.
  16. body slam

body slam Member

and drink more water

cardpire likes this.
  17. Bandwagoner

you had a bad surgeon. that in no way legitimizes snake oil.

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

Thanks a lot for the advice everyone.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  19. tochiee22

Guess I better hit the treadmill
    Didn't think I needed to lose weight.
    Maybe I just need to strengthen my back/core

20. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

If you don't have a pulse massager I would highly suggest getting one. That little thing works wonders for me.

cardpire likes this.