1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nene has lost a step

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@Codman, I thought Nene was solid in that game. They key is his diminishing returns with longer minutes. So, keep his minutes low and maximize his energy while he is in there. When the team needs grit and strength, he needs to be in the game. If the Rockets face OKC, Nene will be a big part of holding down Steven Adams.

cbs1507, Hakeemtheking and Codman like this.
  2. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

The goal is a championship. Would he like to play some more? Of course. But, he's very happy for a guy like Clint having a breakout year/playoffs so far.

Everyone knows that players get "cold" when they sit for long periods of time, so yes, consistent minutes plays a factor in performance. But, the thing about Ne' is that he is always ready to play when called upon. It might not be the points, but he's underrated defensively and alters shots with his physicality. The And-Oooonnnnneeeeesss! were great, too.

I'm biased, so I wish James/CP/Ego would run some more PnRs with him. He finishes strong almost every time.

I find it a bit ridiculous to complain about his contract. Ne's playing on a very reasonable contract. And, if you remember what he signed for during his first year in Htown, that was a serious bargain.

It may not be this series, but we all know what Nene did to the Thunder last year. Be patient. Show some love. Respect the loyalty, much like Trev's.

This series could very easily go to 6 or 7 if we don't make our 3s or if CP3 plays like game 1 (Those turnovers were terrifying, especially the last one.)

-Cod

3. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Agree last year showed that NeneĀ“s role, being small is key to our playoffs run. He is rusty, like most of the team.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I feel like his jumper is just as good as it has been, but his finishing at the rim has dwindled. I personally think he just needs to make an adjustment. All players at his age do.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  5. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

He looks like he did at the beginning of last year. Nene really got into game shape over the season last year, and I feel like right now he's getting into shape again. Just what it looks like...

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Did he donate his lost step to Harden for his extra step on his step backs?

7. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

lame

8. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

we're an old team, ariza, nene, paul, anderson and Johnson all are the wrong side of 30 and will keep losing steps.

amaru and pgabriel like this.
  9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

2 of those players won't' be back next season.

nene / johnson

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

JJ seems to be totally out of steps as of late.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That was the best individual performance of his entire career

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm always conflicted with players who sign for less out of loyalty to his brothers/team/city. He would've gifted us another WCF berth if he didn't get injured. Whatever happens in the offseason, I hope they treat Nene right.

Nene, we still still love you. Many here are still keeping the faith.

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Nope, just playing Rope-a-Dope

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would not sign him again for next year, he looks done.

DD

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

isn't he already signed?

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Someone recently asked whether Yao could still be playing with Harden at 37 if his foot injuries had never occurred.

I looked up the careers of Olajuwon, Mutombo, Duncan, and Shaq. All of them played until age 39 - 41 (Yao is currently 37). HOWEVER - the stats show pretty precipitous drops at age 36 in call cases. 36 seems to be kind of a magic number of when players become "old" in the NBA.

Anyway - Nene is 35, and I think we're seeing this.

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Yao on this team as the starting center would not improve the Rockets. They would actually be worse. Capela can defend guards on the perimeter and sprints his butt off in transition which opens up the Rockets offense.

Yao on the Utah Jazz would improve them.

18. jayfree

jayfree Member

In the playoffs for the past 2 years the rockets are 12-5 when he plays. 0-2 when he doesn't

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

That wasn't really what I was saying in my post. That was just someone's silly question that got me looking at the stats.

That being said, it would be hysterical if we signed Yao to 10-day contracts to sit on the bench during this playoff run. :)

Nene looked decent in last night's game. But he still has the old man game going.

20. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

I def agree he has lost a step or two, even from last year. But we have to help him out a little. You can not leave nene one on one vs a guard no matter what system you run. There has to be some adjustments and surely its on the coaching staff when he is isoed to death. His communication seems to be a bit off , i hope he turns it around soon because he looks bad out there. I would rather have ryno at the 5 spelling capela and goo all in on offense.