1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Nene has lost a step

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Apr 7, 2018.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

His shot has even less arc due to his lack of lift and he is barely getting over the rim on some dunk attempts. He is not the same player, everything is down this year and some things significantly.

Maybe it is a lack of playing time, dunno, but it is concerning, we need him to play against certain teams and play well.

DD

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Nene never had great arc on his shot. But yeah, "lack of lift" is an issue.

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Nene seems like a very nice guy, but he's washed. Mark me as another who prefers Ryno at the backup 5, if he's hitting *anything*.

tycoonchip, bilaal14 and BMoney like this.
  4. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Deuce (PS...one of my favorite posters btw)

He did not look great last night. However, if you look at his minutes over the last weeks, they have been so inconsistent that finding any sort of rhythm would be difficult. James looked like trash. My guy Trev shot air balls; CP3 looked lost. Overall, it was a very poorly executed game.

What I've heard (ear from a trainer) : TBlack's role will be minimal come playoff time. He's here for fouls. NeNe agreed to sign with us with the promise of a bigger role, especially in the playoffs. When he had his tear, he was devasatated because he single-handedly destroyed the Thunder in the post.

As I mentioned weeks ago, MDA is focusing a bit more on the post game to save energy for James, but even more so , for CP3. They're working on spacing to demand double teams in the post. The goal is to have James/CP doubled to free up NeNe on the block/near the rim.

As biased as I am, I know that NE is a warrior, and he's going to bring it all this year. Our conversations have consistently been directed towards this being his BEST chance to win. And, he wants his own STAMP on those wins. My gut tells me that we're playing Minnesota, and NeNe is going to show Taj (nearly a Rocket years ago) and even KAT, that playing low to the ground pays dividends.

I'd argue NeNe is one of the strongest players in the entire league. That will be a major plus for us when we need reinforcements.

I shouldn't mention this, but it'll come out anyway soon. Ne may not be playing as well because of a family issue. Love is one of the best parts of life, but it's equally painful.

But, Don't fret. My friend survived cancer, George Karl and a dysfunctional Wizards team. He also survived a lowball contract....and he's ALWAYS been underestimated. I can't name many stronger players in the league. Ron ROn was up there, but now, Steven Adams? Ne has the strongest hands around. Ask CP3

He's going to be a major piece for us when the 3s go cold.

MDA just needs to make the right move and put TBlack on the bench in case Clint gets into foul trouble.

(SideNote): I have anxiety about the possiblity of playing the Spurs. We are a better team, but I will NEVER underestimate Pops.

I'm rooting for the Nuggets (for my courtside seats) or Minnesota with a recovering Jimmy Butler.

I'm also praying that Russ has to meet up with KD in the first round. What a dream.

Love ya;ll

#44 Codman, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  5. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

His FG% is down about 4%, but still good for 7th highest in the league, and a decent tick above his career average. Other than that, his per 100 possession production has been practically identical to last year.

He's an old player and some slight regression is expected, but some of you are really exaggerating.

D-rock likes this.
  6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Uh.... yeah. His personal business probably should *not* be mentioned.

Exiled likes this.
  7. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think he’s a good player, but he needs to work through some of these tough matchups. Can’t be paying a guy 20 million to be a situational starter (like Ryno)

saleem likes this.
  8. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Agreed - but now that it’s out there, i wish the big fella the best. Life comes first.

Invisible Fan and D-rock like this.
  9. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I think not getting consistent minutes could well be a factor, but the reason Nene has been missing a lot of time is because they are trying to keep him fresh. I expect nothing out of Nene and Joe Johnson. If they produce great, if not, I hope D'Antoni has the hook ready.

10. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Nene is washed and I cant wait til his $5 mil is off the books next year.... we need every penny we can get to get better.

11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Highest % in 5 seasons... :confused:

He's definitely had a rough couple of games at the line, but so it goes when you barely ever shoot them.

12. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

Nene earned his contract last year.
    I will reserve Judgement until after this years playoffs.

The Rockets have given Nene limited minutes this year to keep him fresh and healthy for the playoffs.
    I seriously doubt guys like Black and Joe Johnson will be getting any minutes unless it is a blowout.
    With more consistency and minutes along with being healthy and a set of fresh legs, lets hope Nene plays well.

oh... one last thing... it is hard to find a quality center, even a backup center for 5 million unless they are on a rookie contract.

D-rock and Little Bit like this.
  13. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

NENE cant even dunk straight anymore.

14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I get everyone's concern but last year at the end of the season he looked pretty dead too. We can survive round 1 without him at 100%. What we really need him for is round 2 and round 3 and round 4. He is too old to be worried about meaningless last few games of the season. He just needs to have the conditioning down. We should have had Brandon Wright out there for these useless games but we all know what happened to him.

15. riko

riko Member

If last seasons playoffs nene comes alive this team will be unstoppable.At times he was the best player on the floor Which included Harden and Russ

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  16. riko

riko Member

Double post sorry

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope we give him some serious minutes the next two games so he can get in shape.

I think he can help. We need him.

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

19. today

today Contributing Member

@Codman I must admit... My expectations were low because of his declining performance over the last half of the year, but he gave us a solid game. Finishing those two and-1s was huge, it was good to finally get to celebrate Nene again =)

OldYelllowDog and Codman like this.
  20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If we do get the Thunder in round 2, we are really gonna need Nene. Caplea never seems to handle Adams physicality very well.