1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Neighborhoods

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JuanValdez, Jun 12, 2000.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm hoping if yall know something about basketball, you'll know something about everything. Right? At least there are a lot of us so someone may be able to help me.

I'll be moving back to town in the near future and will be faced with the decision of where to install myself. I grew up in Houston, but I only kind of know it since I went off to Chicago for college soon after getting a driver's license. By the way, I used to live in NW Houston near 45 and the Beltway.

I recognize that Neighborhood is more of a Chicago lexicon since Houston doesn't usefully define things that way for the most part (when I was little, geography was determined by what mall you lived closest to). However, I'm trying to get a feel for what the different communities look like and I'm trying to satisfy the fickle desires of my wife who would prefer it if Houston would look like Vermont.

I am specifically interested in areas that do not have the developed, lotted look of my childhood. Space between neighbors is nice. Houses of many different sizes, types, and values is good. Trees are also good. In general, the things we want can probably most readily be found in old neighborhoods. The Heights is one area that might work. Are there others people can suggest?

------------------
    http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I live in the Heights and really love it, but get out your wallet. The average home price here is now around $200,000 for an 1100 sq ft home!

I love this place and it is definitely a "neighborhood" as opposed to a "suburb".

If you want something with more lot space that still is like a neighbrohood, Oak Forest and Garden Oaks just to the north of the Heights area is cool. Think of it as the Heights for people with children - bigger yards, wider streets, etc.

Other than that, you'll probably have to head out away from downtown into suburbia.

Just so you get an idea, our house is a "cottage" built in the 1930's. Here's a pic from the front and back. Note, we have recycling (woo hoo!) and our yard is landscaped so no lawn (I HATE cutting grass), but you get the basic idea.

[​IMG][​IMG]

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

[This message has been edited by Jeff (edited June 13, 2000).]

3. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

I don't have any suggestions. Just wanted to say "Welcome back!".

What took you so long? [​IMG]

4. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I can speak from experience (sort of): I would strongly advise against buying in Kingwood. Whatever (debatable) charms it had during its Friendswood/pre-annexation days, it's become little more than a blur of convenience stores, strip-malls, and anything else the developers could squeeze into the remaining open spaces.

I doubt Kingwood's any different than most suburbs. They probably all look like that now. But it's the trend towards over-development in Kingwood that would prevent me from wanting to buy there. Traffic and the accompanying symptoms of sprawl are bad enough now; at the rate they're developing, I'd hate to be stuck with a 30-year mortgage on a house in Kingwood in 2005.

If I had $200,000 to spend, I'd much rather buy a house in the Heights than in Kingwood.

[This message has been edited by BrianKagy (edited June 13, 2000).]

5. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

I just bought a house in Oak Forest in January. I love it there. We do have big yards. The houses vary in styles. Nothing bigger than two stories out here. No obnoxious condos and townhomes being built everywhere.

I consider Oak Forest to be like the Heights was 10 years ago; affordable. Prices are going up fast though. Houses are starting to average $100,000 and more.

They are building paths along the bayou that heads toward downtown. It's going to be nice.

We have easy freeway access to the north stretch of 610 and also 45 north. I can get downtown in minutes. Same with the Galleria. I can head straight down Shepard and get to River Oaks or Greenway in no time.

We also have lots of big trees. That's always good.

------------------
    RocketFuel is taking the summer off!

6. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SpaceCity:

I live in an obnoxious townhouse in the West End.

------------------
    rimbaud post-a-thon 2000

7. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

No offense Rim [​IMG]

I mainly speak of the ones that have been peppered throughout Montrose and the Heights.

I still have a hard time getting used to all of them. There seems to be a new one every week. I suppose in 10 or 20 years it will be normal but now they seem totally out of place.

------------------
    RocketFuel is taking the summer off!

8. JuanValdez

Thanks for the help everyone (Moonbus, it's good to be coming back). I've been finding Houston to be an amorphous blob when it comes to its community structure. I think that's good in some ways, but it makes researching a pain. I appreciate all the hands-on help I can get on it.

------------------

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Juan: One other thing. I have a friend who is a real estate agent for Gary Greene Realtors in the Heights - his name is Jeff Morrison. Very good guy if you are interested in that area.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

10. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Space:

No offense taken.

I also have an agent friend for the Heights and any other inner loop location. She does all budgets, too. She is with Keller-Williams and her name is Peggy Konhert. I can give more info if you need.

------------------
    rimbaud post-a-thon 2000

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You would think a pimp would know his way around town. [​IMG]

Hey Pimp, have you tried the online apartment search engines? Here are a few :
    www.springstreet.com

www.rent.net

www.aptguides.com

www.rent.net

------------------
    Just shut up and post

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited June 13, 2000).]

12. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I'm just renting an apartment in the Heights off of W. T. C. Jester and have to say that it is one of the nicest places I've lived. The neighborhoods are really nice with lots of trees and big lots. There is a house for sale right off of W. T. C. Jester just north of 18th street.

Unfortunately I workin Sugarland about 20 miles away from where I live and despise the commute, so I am moving again.

Anyone know of some nice, but not overly priced apartments inside the loop near the Galleria?

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

13. JuanValdez

Thanks for the real estate agent plugs. It seems everyone knows one. Including myself: I have a cousin-in-law (that's a relation, right?) in the business that I will be speaking to soon. I'm asking here because I like to cover all my bases, and so that I'll have some areas to ask about. Again, thanks for the help.

------------------

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Jeff,

How old is Jeff Morrison?

------------------
    Get your proper swirve on...visit www.swirve.com (coming in mid-June, for now visit www.eesite.com)

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

DoD, thanks!

One of the sites you mentioned, springstreet.com, was the one I was trying to remember.

Thanks again!

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!