1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need help, I might have a virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by PippenAintEZ, Feb 1, 2007.

Tags:
  1. PippenAintEZ

PippenAintEZ Member

Hey guys, something weird just happened and I am not sure if I have some sort of virus. When I tried to click the E Internet Explorer icon on my start menu, I got some message that "this item no longer exists, would you like to remove it from the list" or something like that. I first clicked No, and nothing happened. The same window popped up the 2nd time I clicked the E, and after I clicked Yes, the E icon moved from the top position, to like 4 spots lower. The icon also says: Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons). And I can't even click on it. I can highlight it, but it doesn't respond to any clicks. I happened to have a few other windows open already, so I just Control+N to get a new window, and that way worked. Mozilla Firefox does not work either.

Is there any way to fix this, I am pretty sure it's a virus or something. I do have Norton running, and it didn't say anything. I still have the little check mark.

Hopefully it's not too bad, and there is some way I can fix it. Please let me know if there is anything I can do or if I am just screwed. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

it doesnt sound like a virus...sounds like you might have deleted some crucial part of IE by accident...try running the installation disk and doing a repair of IE or do a system restore to the latest date when it was running fine...or if that doesnt work...try downloading the new IE 7 from someone's computer and using that...

3. PippenAintEZ

PippenAintEZ Member

Thanks, I just downloaded IE 7 and everything seems to be running fine. I appreciate it.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Just for giggles, use WINDOWS RESTORE to save the settings the way they are now... before you eff it up again... just to be safe, man.

Start->Programs->Accessories->System_Tools->System Restore

Choose "Create a Restore Point" and name it something descriptive. :cool: