1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Need fresh blood off the bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Jan 30, 2017.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

Along with the schedule, our rotation, minutes played by starters and unable to rely on anyone except Gordon on a nightly basis we clearly need fresh blood who can play even 5-10 minutes a game and are fine with that. Gordon is hurt and it's showing, so some guards who can shoot and create a bit would go a long way. A rebounding strong defensive presence is of course key too since all 4 of our bigs are all not that.

I don't know if any free agents are out there to try out, but as great as Morey has been, he needs to make some moves. Capitalize on some interest in Capela, Dekker and maybe even Harrell & KJ. I know it's hindsight and not sure we could've signed Seth Curry, but seeing how he's playing now and how little he used to play he would've been perfect. He could've accepted a limited role. Troy Daniels another guy we could've used. Do you think we can snatch up a young guy or two like Seth & Troy?

Do you guys agree? I understand D'Antoni is also the problem, since he loves short rotations even more so than McHale. At some point he needs to expand it, but he needs to have the talent to put out there.

D-rock, napalm06, Tha_Dude and 2 others like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

give me anyone who can shoot 3 and i would prefer more consistent 3pt shooters over higher percentage high variance shooters

Tha_Dude and Pen15clubber like this.
  3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

We need another three point shooter preferably one who can somewhat create his own shot.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  4. val_modus

val_modus Member

It sucks because we have two great bench pieces in Nene & Gordon, but due to age and injuries, we simply can't rely on them. When we are at full strength, and these two can log in the heavy minutes, we are a hard team to beat. That being said, I think this is where we need to be patient and build through the draft.

I don't think anyone outside of GSW or CLE has a shot this year, so don't sacrifice depth or assets in pursuit of a marginal upgrade (which seems to be all that's available). Give me a starting caliber upgrade at the 4 or 5 next year, and another draft pick that has fresh legs that can log consistent minutes like , and I'll be happy.

pasox2 likes this.
  5. BigSquirm

BigSquirm Member

I think we need a pj tucker
    comin off the bench

oakdogg likes this.
  6. photojoe

photojoe Member

Agree.

Trade Brewer and first for a big that can hopefully rebound protect the rim. If it was for Brewer, then we wouldn't be able to expect much unfortunately, but if we included a first then hopefully we would be able to get someone decent. I really like him, but include Harrell if needed.

Then trade KJ and a second for PJ Tucker. That might be enough to get that deal done since Phoenix is terrible and has need for young players, not vets. But I would include a second 2nd round pick if needed to make it happen too.

A decent defensive, rebounding big and PJ Tucker would do wonders for our defense.

7. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I think we should sign this dude named Wiltjer or Willyjer or something like that. I think his first name is Karl. Karl Willyjer?

8. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

We have been playing games with sometimes as little as an 8 man rotation. We need one more player that can at least get meaningful minutes. Having 4 guys that are just dead weight until garbage time is too many. That is without even going into the Brewer situation.

Front Office needs to do something soon so that way we can be ready to go come playoffs.

Chalmers is already living in Houston doing his rehab.

Larry Sanders was a past DPOY candidate, would allow Montrezl to go back to the 4, Dekker to 3, Brewer to depth position.

A wing will need to be tracked down, if possible, to get minutes that KJ is clearly never going to get at this stage.

D-rock and napalm06 like this.
  9. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Seth Curry is one of the rare examples where all the fans value a player more than the Front Offices and are actually right. I mean it was so obvious to us, Steph Curry's little brother that shoots nearly as well as him? Why would you not sign that to a small deal. Especially in this offense. I don't get it

Cashmoney likes this.
  10. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Yes, a wing is a must. Someone like wilson chandler, pj tucker or nick young.

We should be able to find a big somewhere. At least give Sanders a workout.

I still feel like we need another point guard. Chalmers would work. I always liked Brandon Knight or someone like Darren Collison. We need someone to come off the bench to limit the turnovers because our starters are just careless with the ball.

With that said, This team is not a contender until we add another star. James has proven he can't do it alone. When he gets fatigue, he just throws the ball away and doesnt run back on d. Ryan anderson for millsap. We need someone thats able to do more than catch and shoot. I feel organization season goal is for james to win MVP not a championship. James has been playing with the ball in hands for the pass few years. He's been the pg this entire time. I still hope to see james play off the ball, having him play pg exclusively is a disservice to hardens scoring ability. He's too turnover prone to be in passing mode most of the game. He needs help.

I like Ryan Anderson, but he doesn't shoot enough to make a significant impact on the game. I'm not sure why we don't run more plays for him. You'd expect a team that struggles shooting would make a effort to get the ball to the shooters. I'm sick and tired of players passing up wide open shooters to feed Brewer for the inevitable CLANK. It doesn't make basketball sense.

#10 Crashlanded19, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    DonKnock likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Because we already have enough players like him on this team, what we need are to fill holes of players we don't have..... a low post scorer, a lane clogger, a backup PF that can shoot the 3.

Our weakness as a club are all in the PF and C spots....we don't have enough there...especially size wise.

DD

Tha_Dude and napalm06 like this.
  12. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

To everyone saying be patient and build through the draft..... rethink your reasoning.

Harden is in his prime. Super prime. He isnt getting any better and he surely wont be this good for too long. We need to stop valuing first round picks and young prospects like gold and make some bold moves to heavily improve the roster to not only win, but attract good free agents. We are in win now mode guys. If getting a star means moving our young guys, so be it.

Richie_Rich, Bo6, Houtho and 9 others like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Ultimately need a more talented team.

Look at the talent on the Warriors, Cavaliers and Spurs; and compare it to the talent on the Rockets.

The Rockets need to be hot, healthy, rested and with great chemistry come playoffs to have a chance at beating any of the teams above them. D'Antoni and Harden can only do so much.

It isn't really anyone's fault, the owner wanted to win, he wanted the money spent, the Rockets spent the money the best they could and they are better, but ultimately the Rockets have the talent of a 5-8 seed playoff team.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Seth Curry doesn't really move the needle much for the Rockets honestly. Further, he wanted to go to Dallas because he felt he would get more minutes.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We have a top 10 bench, I don't think it's fair to say we're desperate in that area.

I would really like us to get a 6'6 guy who can shoot and a big defender/rebounder for depth.

But at some point we have to understand there are 48 minutes in a game and our 2nd to 8th or 9th player basically have the same amount of talent. What we NEED is to consolidate some pieces into a better piece, but at the same time this team has great chemistry and performing above expectations so do we really want to trade rotation pieces?

Also getting guys like Chandler will cost us a bit of cap space this summer or Noel would cost us rotation pieces. People might think Morey is sitting on his ass, but in reality there's no decision he can make right now that wouldn't be better made closer to the deadline.

16. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

wilson chandler is the type player we need

RasaqBoi likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

There may be another Wilson in Chinese league (CBA) - Jamaal Franklin 6'6 200 averaged triple double in 2016, leading league in steals and top 5 in points scored this season. Hard nosed defender too.

DonKnock likes this.
  18. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Can we revoke trade with the Bucks and send Michael Beastly back?

RasaqBoi likes this.
  19. Remlap

Remlap Member

SOMEWHERE, in SOME dimension, Larry Sanders is waiting to hear a phone ring. . .
    . . . or was than an onion ring? . . . . . .m mmm m m m m onion rings. . . what were we talking about again??

[​IMG]

BigggReddd likes this.
  20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I hear Troy Daniels was waived........

Os Trigonum and D-rock like this.