1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Need Advice] Qualified for a $30k loan at 2.8% - Should I take it?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeremiah, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Here's the deal. I qualified for a 30-year, fixed, unsecured loan with the SBA for $30k at 2.8% with no early payoff penalty. It's going to be $125 a month, which is chump change. I got this as part of the Fema-Ike help package. It essentially covers what the insurance didn't cover for me, which the SBA estimated at $30k.

There are three caveats that I can see.

-One, it's going to put $30k in debt on my credit, which I just cleaned up to $0.

-Two, since that debt is there, it may hurt my ability to get a low mortgage rate, which is something I want to do soon to buy a new house.

-Three, there is a chance that I could be audited by the SBA for how I use this money in the next three years. It is supposed to be meant for replacing valuables (furniture, books, whatever I lost in IKE) ONLY. I can use reciepts for what I've bought retroactively to the date of the Hurricaine, but I would have to come up with $30k in proof of purchase of valuables. I don't think it would be an issue, but I like to have my ducks in a row in case of things like this.

So what should I do? Should I take the money? To me it's six of one, half dozen of the other, and I can use it to supplement my down payment on a house and have a lower payment per month.

TIA

2. updawg

updawg Member

take it and loan 15k to Lukky at 10%

3. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

I just asked for a 15k loan on my other thread and here you go with this approved 30k loan? wtffff LMAOOO where did you get this damnn loan from?

4. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Do you really need it?

5. Jeremiah

I know, really, it's a funny coincidence. If you had Hurricane Ike losses, you should hit the government up.

Yes and no. I'll be getting a mortgage soon, so I'd rather owe $30k of a house note at 2.8% than 5-6%. But I'm doing well without the money.

6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

At those rates and if you really need the money for your home and getting it back to 100%, that's hard to beat. 2.8% is basically inflation, so over time you are breaking even on the loan, basically.

7. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

WINNAR

8. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

2.8 percent is a great rate. you can put it in a CD and earn about 2% compounded EVERY YEAR! so, if you don't need it, you can actually make money over the life of the loan as long as you don't touch it. Go for it!

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If it were me, I wouldn't take a loan unless I absolutely needed it. It doesn't sound to me like you really NEED it, but you are being tempted to take it because of the low interest rate.

Debt is still debt no matter what the interest rate is. And if you are currently debt-free, why jump back into those shark infested waters when you don't really need to?

10. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

sounds like an excellent hedge against inflation and rising interest rates.

11. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

LOL! :D Nice.

12. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

are you sure it is 2.8% fixed over the life of the loan? that sounds like a teaser rate to me. if it truly is a 2.8% loan with no outrageous origination fees, then that is an amazing loan offer.

13. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

With SBA, I'm pretty sure it is a fixed rate. SBA has programs like this to help out in times of need. I dealt with SBA in the past and they are great to deal with.

14. Jeremiah

Yeah, it's legit. Part of the gubment help you get if you fill out all of your forms after a hurricane.

15. Jeremiah

You summed up my dilemma perfectly, ima. I don't need the money, but if I had $30k at 2.8%, that's $30k less I'm financing at 6% in a mortgage.

Supermac- the inflation argument is one I hadn't considered, at least consciously. Another notch in the 'pros' column.

16. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

I say take it!