1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need a damn good recipe for Chilli..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sane, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Sane

Sane Member

Common, lots of you guys are from Texas, should know this from the top of your heads... I hear you've got terriffic Mexican food there all the time as well..

So I need a damn good recipe A.S.A.P., who has one or a link to one?

Really appreciate it, thanks....

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

You will need some salt pork, 2 pounds of coarse ground beef, an onion, a couple three jalepenos, chili powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper, and a can of light beer .

Salt pork is sold in chunks. Slice off about 6-7 slices and then cube them. Fry them up in your chili pot. Then add the ground beef and brown it up. Halfway through browning the ground beef, add a chopped onion and sliced jalepenos. Once everything is browned, pour in the can of beer, add the chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper to taste (I like lots of cumin in my chili...to me it gives chili the true Texas taste). Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours.

My Dad uses a similar recipe, only he cooks his with actual stew beef rather than ground beef, and he does it in a crock pot so he lets it cook on low heat all day.

1 person likes this.
  3. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=73166

This is the best chili recipe I have ever tried. I'm not sure where the recipe originated, but it is amazing! Sometimes, I don't bother adding all four cans of the kidney beans and it still turns out wonderful. Once anyone tastes this chili, they will be begging for the recipe!! Enjoy! — Oct 10, 2003

2 teaspoons oil
    2 onions, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 lb lean ground beef
    3/4 lb beef sirloin, cubed
    1 (14.5 ounces) can diced tomatoes
    1 can dark beer
    1 cup strong coffee
    2 (6 ounces) cans tomato paste
    1 can beef broth
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    3 1/2 tablespoons chili sauce
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 tablespoon cocoa
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon cayenne
    1 teaspoon coriander
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 (15 ounces) cans kidney beans
    4 chili peppers, chopped

1. Heat oil.
    2. Cook onions, garlic and meat until brown.
    3. Add tomatoes, beer, coffee, tomato paste and beef broth.
    4. Add spices Stir in 2 cans of kidney beans and peppers.
    5. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
    6. Add 2 remaining cans of kidney beans and simmer for another 30 minutes.

4. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

http://www.murphyinthemorning.com/chili_recipe.htm

3 pounds beef chuck tender

2 tablespoons onion powder

2 tablespoons paprika

1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

2 cubes beef bouillon

1/2 cup canned beef broth

3 ounces tomato sauce

1 tablespoon juice from cooked jalapeno (see note)

1 quart water

6 1/2 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon cumin

1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon white pepper

3/8 teaspoon salt
    Cut meat in cubes, brown in a large, heavy Dutch oven. Add onion powder, paprika, cayenne, bouillon, beef broth, tomato sauce, jalapeno juice and water. Cook over low heat for about 2 hours, adding more water as needed, until meat is tender. Add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and pepper. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes more. Add salt just before serving.

Makes 6 servings.

Note: To make jalapeno juice, chop pepper jalapeno coarsely and boil in small amount of water, reduce slightly, then strain out pepper and seeds.

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

You do not put beans in chili.

Thank you.

Carry on.

6. RocketMan Tex

DAMN straight.

Chili may have beans in it, but Texas chili definitely does not.

Also, you can try using meat other than beef. A couple of years ago, I used coarsly ground buffalo meat to make chili with, and the chili came out fantastic. Plus it's much leaner than beef.

7. Sane

Sane Member

No? I've tried it with beans, it's quite good.

Should've mentioned that I can't put beer or pork in it.

But those recipes will probably work without the beer/pork hopefully.. Thanks...

8. RocketMan Tex

You can omit the pork and the beer from my recipe.

Just fry the beef and onions in a little vegetable oil, and substitute water for the beer (12 ounces).

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Right on!

10. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

ALL of those recepies sound like great variations, HOWEVER:

Cumin is ABSOLUTELY one of the most important spices in Texas Chili--the more the better to get the true, Tex-Mex taste--don't fool around with just one tablespoon...

I prefer dark beer over light when adding to Chili--just more taste, can't go wrong with Shiner.

Try adding fresh Cilantro, either saute or add while simmering, adds a nice extra layer to the taste--some folks don't like it, I could eat it like a salad!

Finally, if you have Venison--USE IT!! It makes the most tender Chili and is one of the main reason why I hunt! Add some pork to get more fat and you are set!

Damm...I'm getting hungry...

11. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Bullcrap. Maybe for competition chili, but for chili that real people eat, it's all about the beans. I can't stand chili without beans!

Chili, like all great tex-mex standards, is a meal that is meant to be made with very cheap ingredients. Same holds true for other classics, like carne guisada and fajitas. Without the beans, you end up with a much more expensive, and IMHO less flavorful dish.

Competition chili is all about seasoning and the texture of the meat. Most cooks use fairly decent cuts of beef in it. Personally, I use ground beef for chili, and save my round steak for carne guisada.

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

My wife makes a mean chili, I'll ask her for the recipe.

Last year a guy I work with gave me his chili recipe, saying it would be the best chili I've ever tasted. Instead of using tomato sauce, his recipe called for a large bottle of KETCHUP! Yeah, I was skeptical, but I decided to fix it anyways. Sure enough, it tasted like ass!

13. Master Baiter

What does cheap ingredients and competition have to do with beans?? I make chili for my family and I'm not competing with anyone and my chili is probably less expensive because I DONT BUY BEANS!!!

Also, chili is not tex-mex. It is from Texas. And in Texas we dont put beans in our chili because that is not how God intended chili to be made. If you like to mess with the order of the world, move up north where they consistantly screw **** up. Like Chili. Because they put beans in it.

14. droxford

droxford Member

As a native Texan, I agree - real Texas chili has NO BEANS.... there are other chilis from other places that have beans in it, and they may or may not taste okay. I think chili is a bazillion times better the Texan way - without beans.

-- droxford

15. droxford

droxford Member

Yankee chili:

1 cup ketchup
    beans
    sauerkraut
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    some kind of meat

brown your meat and add ingredients. Cook for 2 hours and enjoy some tasty authentic chili! Yum!

-- droxford

16. RocketMan Tex

World Championship Chili Cookoff will be held the first weekend in November in Terlingua. I smell a road trip!

17. droxford

droxford Member

ho, man... I would LOVE to go!

http://www.ghosttowntexas.com/chilicookoff1.htm

We could go there and sneak beans into everybody's chili.

(I think they'd publically lynch us if we did that!)

-- droxford

18. Master Baiter

That sounds absolutely horrible.

My wife is a yankee and she puts mayonnaise in her black eyed peas. I'm like WTF????? I have been close to shipping her ass back for doing that. Jalepeno juice and cornbread should be the only things you put in black eyed peas.

This thread is killing me. I want some good country cooking now. Too bad it is so damn bad for you.

19. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

How many pounds of beef do you put in your chili? I use one pound, for the whole damn pot. I'm pretty sure my chili costs less per cup than yours, considering beans cost per pound 1/10th of what beef does.

Where the heck did these cowboys learn to use chili powder from??? And how many cowboys in Texas were Mexican immigrants? Perhaps the original chili didn't have beans because there was plenty of meat available during a CATTLE DRIVE, but I don't need a culinary anthropologist to tell me what good chili is.

I grew up over 100 miles southwest of Houston, so I know what tex-mex is. The only cuisine that I consider purely Texan is barbequed beef brisket. Jeez, they don't put beans in Cincinatti Chili either, but I'm pretty sure if you've ever had a bowl you and I would both agree that the sweet, chocolaty meat sauce they serve over spaghetti is NOT chili.

20. Fatty FatBastard

Any "true" Texan that knows beans about chili knows chili ain't got no beans!

(Stupid yanks trying to ruin a good thing)