1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[NBDL] Marcus Morris Game 3 : Reno Bighorns @ Vipers 1/9/2012

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by BetterThanEver, Jan 9, 2012.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Agreed. He wants to convince everyone that he is a SF because he thinks that his best shot at being an all-star is at the SF position. I do not think that is correct whatsoever. His best asset is his post up game which he was great at in the NCAA, but has shyed away from it with his NBA game so far.

I know that Rockets fans want nothing to do with another undersized PF but it is what it is. Trades are coming and before you know it in a season or two he could be one of the better backup PF's in the league to a decent starting PF. As a PF he could be making an impact in the NBA now. As a SF he will be considered a project for quite some time, and have trouble cracking rotations.

His road to NBA success will be much more difficult as a wing player. I hope he can improve enough to do all the things that a guard can do on the perimeter, but I think that role is best served by someone like Parsons for the future. Someone who can facilitate, has handles, and has the footspeed to defend quicker wings.

2. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Your underselling this guy like crazy.. He was a lottery pick because the guy has talent, not because morey thinks he'll be a good backup in a season or two.. He doesnt wanna play the 3 because he thinks thats his best shot as an all-star.. he wants to play the 3 cuz he considers himself a 3.. His post game is great but it was great in college as a 4 because there is less size at the position. His post game and overall skill set will be most effective against the 3 positions in the nba... The guy is not slow, he can keep up with 3s..

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The Rockets drafted him to be a 3.

4. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

That's why Parsons is getting playing time in the NBA, not because he's more talented than Morris, but b/c Parsons puts in the effort 100% of the time.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If Parsons keeps it up, they might trade Morris for a future pick.

DD

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No they won't Morris is the better scorer, even if he is just coming off the bench....

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Get rid of TWill and make room for Morris.

Heck, play Morris at the 4. We are thin there.

8. dobro1229

He's got talent yes, but the NBA is FULL of talented players. If he wants a long career he might have to be convinced which spot he will be a better fit for. Similar situation to Carl Landry when he was considered a tweener and he really had a habit of floating to the perimeter too much.

The Rockets player development staff did a really good job of putting him in the best position to succeed in the NBA.

They might very well do the same with Morris if he struggles at the 3. Dont mean to be the debbie downer here, because I hope he has the talent to play the 3, but its a real possibility he gets moved to the 4 spot in the summer.

9. dobro1229

No need to get rid of Terrence unless he creates trouble in the lockeroom. He presents a nightmare mismatch if the Rockets can sell him on being a future backup PG/SG off the bench in the second half of the season after the trade that we all know is going to happen. Id really like him in that kind of role.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Slow feet is different than athleticism. He has slow feet which would hinder his lateral quickness andexplosion. Paul pierce never had slow feet. In fact, pierce could play the 2 at times and has always been a good defender. The paul pierce examples were always terrible unless you never watched him play. Pierce sid to 9, but he was in the conversation for r.o.y. in boston. Morris has about the same chance as playing the 3 as patterson does to me. He's a tweener, but that's not a bad thing, its just a thing.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You ve never seen him play that much against NBA competition. Guy is a rookie... You can still judge him after one or two seasons. .....
    Morris projection was decent foot speed.....Never said he was extremely slow in NBA draft articles

Ok. even he were slow.....he is still too talented to not let him play SF.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think the main difference is that Parsons is NBA ready, while Morris is not.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All I know is that Carmelo has zero lateral quickeness, but he can score the crap out of the ball.

Melo light is coming people. Just be patient. :grin:

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I said it earlier Parsons played games in France, albeit not many but he played Pro Ball whereas Morris said he tried not to even play in pick ups because of injury risk.

Morris is not as tough as Parsons. Just because he's from Philly but he is too talented to give up on.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

leebigez, I agree that the Pierce comparison is a bad one, but I do think Morris can play the 3.

As I've said before, I see Morris as a "power 3" in the mold of Corliss Williamson when he won the Sixth Man of the Year with the Rick Carlisle-led Detroit Pistons. I think Morris has a little more quickness and better range than Corliss, with a bit of "poor man's Carmelo" in him. But if he can become what Corliss was in his prime, I'd take it.

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Ahhh, Corliss. There's another short guy that could really post up.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ok... the comparison with Pierce in prime would be bad but I did not say Pierce in prime
    Pierce now.. the aging one

18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I honestly feel there should be a RGV thread that is used for the whole season.

Sad that sprained his ankle early in the game. Looked painful and reports he will be out for 1 week.

G. Smith played well again.

19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Dang...starters can't even take a breather. The bench needs to go...out if the league.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So another week for Morris to rest.