1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBDL] Marcus Morris Debut : Dakota Wizards @ Rio grande Valley Vipers 1/6/12

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by BetterThanEver, Jan 6, 2012.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

There is no benefit to playing against the best in the world? Getting NBA practice with team mates and getting accustomed to the NBA speed?

I don't see it as a demotion or badge of shame. I see it as a waste of time and that he's not going to actually improve there. Playing SF in the NBDL is not the same experience as playing SF in the NBA.

It's not accelerating anything, it's just delaying the hard knocks a Rookie has to go through when he actually comes to the NBA.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is at least a change to keep it close. I mean I don't like watching being slaughtered, blown out

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

How is his handles? Anyone watch the game? I think if he can work on some handles, he'd reach all star status on the quick.

I haven't been able to watch a Rockets game this season, save for the short highlights Clutch and others are kind enough to provide.

Also probably been mentioned before, but DD has his own D-league team.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2-5 or 2-6 ..... not a big difference
    Thunder are good but they are not invincible......Blazers gave them a run and Westbrook is still doin his own thing

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, it sucks to watch, unless you are blatently playing young players at least that gives fans something to watch...right now...they are horrible to watch, not playing young guys, not developing and not winning, stuck in the "We suck but we are going to play our vets anyway" which is the WORST place to be.

DD

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Read earlier in this thread he made a crossover drive to the basket.

Although that doesn't say much since it's just the D-league, we at least know he has better handles than say, your typical PF.

7. AFS

AFS Member

Don't think I saw his statline posted, so here it is:

Marcus Morris
    37 minutes, 33 points, 16 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, 2 fouls, 3 TOs

13/24 from the field, 3/6 from the perimeter, 4/7 from the free throw line

I'd like to see more of those FTs made.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also quoting myself to say that I'm not against sending guys to the NBDL...

Just that it is better for players who have undeveloped parts of their game. Like Patterson (who still doesn't have a developed post...and in the NBDL it looked like he did but against NBA competition it's a different story) so that guys can try things out and gain confidence in his post moves or whatever it is he needs to work on.

For a guy like Morris whose game is very developed and his confidence is high I don't see what he can learn down there?

Experience? Against who? Dude's played ball all his life, NBDL experience is not needed.

Confidence? Does he need to be coddled and and praised for dominating against NBA rejects? I sure hope not, that is needed for guys like Thabeet.

You can't hope to develop all of your players the exact same way. I guess if we drafted Perry Jones (A tweener forward) we'd send him right down to the Dleague just to make sure he can play the position we want him to.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

The answer to that question is actually YES. There is no benefit for certain players. The reasons are common sense.

1. NBA teams don't hold many practices in season. They do most of the teaching in training camp, summer league, pre-season, etc. But during the season a player is expected to do his job and earn his paycheck.

2. NBA veterans run plays that are most efficient. You think Lowry will purposely run below-average plays for Morris just to develop the rookie? Of course not. Lowry will pass to the player best in position to score. If that's not Morris because Morris doesn't know where to stand, then Morris will not get the ball.

3. Playing way over your head is not always conducive to learning. It would be like giving students homework before teaching them the subject. It's not only a waste of time, but likely counterproductive in the long run.

To put it another way, you can think of NDBL as summer league or training camp. If we had a true offseason, would be against him playing there? Of course not. Same situation here. Develop the guy first, then give him minutes in the NBA.

1 person likes this.
  10. cuddie

cuddie Member

I'm pretty sure he's down there to learn the Rockets system so he can effectively play within it.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

1. This is the best reason to send Morris down...but at the same time why does Parsons stay if that is the case?

2. I agree with this but at the same time I think everyone knows that Morris won't get many plays run for him on this team. He's not a #1 pick who we draft and say 'This is your team now.' so I understand that. I just think NBA experience is what he needs to begin developing his game.

3. You are right there but here is another situation closer to sports. The Texans do the exact opposite of the Rockets. Ever #1 pick they draft they throw directly into the fire. I think they see it the way I see it with lotto picks. That these guys were good enough to get picked and they should be able to handle it.

Haha, I don't think we really have a system right now. Any ways I think the NBDL is for players that need to work on parts of their game. Learning a system and such can really be better done playing with the players you are going to play with. Team Chemistry and all, and in Bball a play can be broken and players always have to to do stuff on the fly.

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

HMMMMM..........Good question!:)

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

what ticks me off is looking at Morris' twin brother in pheonix get the playing time we should be giving our Morris. Tired of rockets and their bs.

14. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I hope he focuses on developing his handles and getting to the rim. I am not too worried about the 3pt shooting practice, since they have plenty of shootarounds before every game.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

13 and 8 as well. They even played him at Center so he's playing two positions as well.

I know it has to be hard for Marcus to watch this.

16. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Smith had a nice line too. Wish they'd cut Flynn and bring Smith back up.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I suspect you may get your wish after the trade deadline.

18. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Frye starts, so of course he's going to get minutes.

Also the other morris isn't changing his game as much as our morris is.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They said earlier PARSONS was grasping what the system, what they planned to do from the beginning.

You might say PARSONS is SMARTER in terms of BBall IQ when it comes to dropping DAT ASS.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hell, just put Patterson down their too...

Hell, put Pat down there to rehab. And bring both of them up when a trade happens...

DLEAGUE

3. Marcus Morris
    4. Patrick Patterson
    5. Greg Smith