1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBC Sports] Monta Ellis Most Likely to Opt Out

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by yobod, Mar 3, 2015.

1. yobod

yobod Member

They could potentially lose Rondo, Ellis and Chandler after this season.

[​IMG]

Monta Ellis reportedly rejected a two-year, $24.8 million contract extension, opted out of a contract that would have paid $11 million and fired his agent. Finally, Ellis signed a contract with the Mavericks worth $25.08 million over three years, including a $8.72 million player option for next season. If that 2013 saga is any indication, Ellis will opt out. Add his solid play in Dallas, and it’s practically a lock.

Steve Kyler of Basketball Insiders: The big wrinkle for the Mavericks is Monta Ellis, as sources close to the situation believe Ellis will opt out of his deal this summer and seek a new multi-year deal based on his current play.

As teams project the salary cap to skyrocket in 2016, Ellis should definitely get more than $8.72 million next season. Plus, he can lock in some long-term security. He’s better off getting a new contract at age 29 this summer than at age 30 next summer. This situation is a bit trickier for the Mavericks.

Depending what happens with Rajon Rondo (who could leave Dallas) and Tyson Chandler (who wants to stay but also probably wants to get paid), the Mavericks could have major cap space. If those two move on, Dallas could try to transform its roster, possibly using money they allocated for Ellis elsewhere.

If Rondo and Chandler stay, the Mavericks would likely be faced with paying Ellis or losing him and lacking the flexibility to find a suitable replacement. My guess is Ellis remains in Dallas – the Mavericks seem quite fond of him – but that could be determined by how the season ends and the trickle-down effects that has through Rondo and Chandler.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/03/report-monta-ellis-will-opt-out-of-contract/#comments

2. tomato

tomato Member

They can fill his spot by paying Beverley 40m over 4 years

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

They write articles to tell us things that were obvious a year ago

4. Exiled

Exiled Member

Without him , they are sub .500 team. With him , they are 8th seed team.

5. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

No chemistry.

6. ribbit

ribbit Member

But, but, but... Mavs are contenders and Rockets are 8th seed at most!

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

He gonna get paaaaaaaaaiiiiidddd

8. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Monta Ellis have it all

9. rocketsmetalspd

Remember Cuban is about keeping chemistry and family together. Cuban will pay him like he talked when landed Parsons.:grin:

10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

He's going to overpay so that they won't be a sub 500 team because I think Rondo is leaving too. Chandler is too loyal to leave.

11. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

He is probably looking at Parsons and his 15 million dollar contract and says to himself, "Monta Ellis have it all."

12. XxTCNxX

XxTCNxX Member

He should go back to GSW

Send Klay "I feel pretty" to DAL with a max

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Uh, who didn't expect this? Of course he's gonna opt out. He'll double his pay next season by doing so.

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Ellis Harden Dwight TJ Ariza?

Yeahhhhhhhhhh

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm assuming if he does that, it really locks down what the Mavs can do, right? I'm assuming that's going to take a ton of their flexibility away.

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

I only get the Mavs on TV where I live (Fox Sports SW, thanks Uncle Les!), so I sometimes watch to cheer against them. Ellis is their closer. He is clutch in the fourth. I have always liked his game. With Dirk declining, he is their best player.

17. count_dough-ku

Well, tough crap for the Mavs. They're the beneficiaries of Ellis' stellar play now. They'll have to pay for it next season and beyond though.

Their real dilemma is what to do about Rondo. Do they let him walk after the way he's played?

18. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

I guess they will change the lyrics to "Left Dallas so easily" Viva Run D-M-C

19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

My guess is Rondo is gone after the Carlisle clash, and Ellis is re-signed to a big contract.

20. count_dough-ku

That's my guess too. Then they'll have to worry about resigning(or replacing) Chandler. And isn't Barea also a free agent?