1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Refutes Tim Donaghy's Claim That Referees Bet on Blazers Rockets Game 1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Dominant, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

They should clean house on refs. I'm tired of this crap.

Tim is legit. He broke many of friendships to get his word out. It's legit.

1 person likes this.
  3. Akim523

Akim523 Member

The fact that NBA refuted Tom's statement makes me wonder if what he said was legit

4. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Maybe his allegations will make the NBA give us some calls in game 4? The game 1 calls were horrendous, that's for sure. We got jobbed, should be up 2-1

5. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I agree with all of you. It's pathetic. Something needs to be done! :mad:

6. Rockness

Rockness Member

He stated the obvious, anybody could've said that and we all witnessed Foster before so nothing new there. Raptors vs. Nets is also not that far fetched, though I haven't seen game 2 & 3.

7. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

It's just too easy to bet on games. Call your good friend x to place a bet for $50,000. A few bad calls easily swings a game and bam 50K in the bank. About 1/3 of their salary.

8. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

If you read what he actually said, it's nowhere close to "insider info". It's some guy (who happens to be Tim Donaghy) watching the game and noticing that the officiating sucks, and attaching a controversial but ultimately arbitrary and baseless claim to it.

1 person likes this.
  9. tmacfor35

Not baseless. He made a living off of it, and is calling it how he sees it.

Either its real or the refs are that bad. I'd like to think someone is prideful enough to not suck so bad at their job.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Find me better basketball refs anywhere in the world. If you can't then nba refs are by definition the best available.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The only thing that still irks me is that several other refs who were all in the league at the time of Donaghy are still employed. He didn't throw anybody else under the bus, but I can't imagine he was the only referee to be tempted or corrupted.

The NBA also let several refs off the hook for the tax evasion scandal.

They'd rather stick with 80+ year old Dick Bavetta and blind Bennett Salvatorre than recruit/hire/train a whole new crop. These refs KNOW the NBA needs them... and thus they could be easily tempted/corrupted with the assurance of job security no matter what.

12. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Scott Foster was and is still suspected of having been involved with the Donaghy gambling ring back in the day. Donaghy made countless phone calls to Foster right before and/or right after calling his bookie and/or before/after games, ALLEGEDLY. I will always believe that Foster was somehow involved.

13. tmacfor35

Probably cant, there are good crews out there.

It just seems weird that a team who notoriously shoots 8 free throws less than us a game in the regular season is shooting 3 more than us in this series. Weird.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't have a doubt in the world that the NBA fixes some games / series but .... had the Rockets not missed 14 FT's ....

15. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Free Throw Attempts per game

Houston
    31.1 FTA 71.2% Reg. Season
    30.7 FTA 75% Playoffs

Portland
    23.5 FTA 81.5%
    31.3 FTA 81.9%

Rockets are getting slightly less calls. Portland's free throw attempts per game is up a staggering 33.19% thus far. Something is not right with this picture.

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Game 2 was the one where I could clearly see two refs going to war. I dunno which was for whom, but I remember having that thought many times.

It would just go bad call one way, second ref calls a make up call to atone for it, then bad call the other way, first ref then calls make up call in the opposite direction, rinse and repeat. And it was always one ref for the Blazers and one for the Rockets. Weird

17. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

Pretty much anyone in the Euroleague. I used to get pissed about calls in Europe until I started actively following the Rockets. Then the NBA refs gave me perspective.

Yes, the rules are different and the playstyle is different and don't get me wrong, there's plenty of bull**** going on there as well, but it pales in comparison to the amount of obvious calls that NBA refs botch and the consistency with which they just plain suck day in, day out.

18. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

This whole "convicted felon" thing doesn't discredit his comments at all. It's actually irrelevant.

I'm sure he has more of an intel on the referee world than anyone else.

It's like asking a thief for advice on how to catch a robber. Just because they are a thief doesn't mean they don't know what's up.

Catch me if you can is a story like that.

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I mostly believe him because he said the Rockets-Mavs series was fixed which confirmed what we all knew.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

[​IMG]