1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA Proposal]: Lottery Wheel

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by white lightning, Jan 3, 2014.

1. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

2. Willard Decker

An absolutely awful idea. Projected number-one picks now know exactly whom they'll be drafted by and have the option of waiting a year for a better team to select them. Don't want to be drafted by the Bobcats? Wait until the following summer when the Lakers have the number-one pick.

--Captain Decker

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Those guys aren't always the number one pick the next year. Moreover it's not necessarily a bad thing if that happens anyway. Let them stay in college another year. Likely most won't. Money is money, and if you're a guaranteed top whatever pick you are likely coming out. There's been very few instances recently to suggest otherwise. In fact just the opposite where injured top picks stay in the draft even to the extent it hurts draft stock.

4. Willard Decker

Although I'm certainly aware that the complexion of the draft changes from one year to the next, aspiring NBA players have never been presented with an option such as this. I agree that most projected number-one picks would probably be best-served by entering the draft as soon as possible, but consider what may happen if a player the caliber of LeBron James or Tim Duncan surfaces. Duncan was the number-one pick in 1997 but likely would have been he had left school the previous year. James would have been the top overall selection in any draft following 2003 had he attended college.

The NBA Draft isn't an exact science, but resorting to a systematic Wheel of Fortune approach is a bad idea. The current system isn't perfect but is better than no system at all.

--Captain Decker

5. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Make things even more interesting if you rate the players by ability into A, B AND C categories. If a team has 2+ A (superstars) rated guys and they have a top 6...they are forced to swap with the worst team in the bottom 6 picks.

If you're Miami, and are slotted to get the #1 pick with Wiggins in the draft...wouldn't you make moves to get rid of Wade. Would definitely liven up the NBA with more parity.

6. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Hmmm, how many consensus number 1 pick have been picked number 1 in the past few years? Anyway, I could live with the idea that players like Duncan / LBJ came into the league 1 year late. As long as teams can no longer use the "rebuilt" excuse to cover their tanking.

7. Damion Laverne

Misleading. I thought teams were gonna spin for a pick.

8. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

New idea:

Expand the D-League so every team has a D-League affiliate.
    The draft order is decided by the finishing standings of the D-League.
    Creates more excitement for the D-League and an exciting way to determine the draft order.
    If the Rockets/Vipers are in the finals to determine if they will get the #1 overall or #2 overall pick in the draft with a special (i.e. Lebron type) player, heck yes I will be tuned in as well thousands/millions of others.

9. Willard Decker

^It doesn't make sense to allow non-NBA teams to determine the order of the NBA Draft. The current system isn't perfect but works better than determining draft position solely on the basis of wins and losses.

--Captain Decker

10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I love the idea! I think it would generate interest in the D-League too. I think the fans would be all over it.

11. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Each D-League team would essentially be an extension of the NBA team, control over management and player essentially would rely in the NBA team, but they could distribute powers however they wish.

12. MrJason

MrJason Member

Wouldn't work. Teams will just send down 1st/2nd year players for the D-league playoffs. Pelicans will send down Anthony Davis so they can get the first pick in the draft next year.

13. MrJason

MrJason Member

Best way would just be to give all lotto teams the same chance to get the first overall pick. Lotto teams gets a 1/16 chance for the first 5 picks. Then go in order (depending on previous season's record) for the rest of the picks.

14. Willard Decker

It still makes no sense. The order of a draft held at the NBA level should be determined by teams that play at the NBA, not affiliates.

--Captain Decker

15. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

It's basically impossible to bring this system in when teams have traded away future picks to teams. Would make 0 sense and would screw up the league

16. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I don't like the idea at all. There has to be some sort of mysterious/uniqueness in the draft and having that particular system of knowing the order of which team picks first for a 30 year span would destroy the NBA.

I do think the current system is the best way to go though. There just needs to a way to eliminate tanking because I feel like that is hurting the NBA a lot. Tanking just eliminates the competition of pro sports, which should never be done. And it's not fun for an NBA fan to watch their team continually lose, hoping to nab the first pick. And of course most of the teams that do tank usually are the teams that screw themselves over year to year with horrible draft choices or personnel mistakes. Then these rookies are placed in horrible situations that limit their growth; see Sacramento, Bobcats, And Cavs in recent years. Then repeat to the next year with the same pattern.

I remember when JVG was our coach he proposed the idea of making the draft open to all 30 teams and that might stop tanking. I forgot the details per se but I like the idea provided that the top 16 teams (by record not who made the playoffs that year) have significantly less chance of getting the first pick than the lowest 14 teams. And the top 6 teams, record wise, have an even lower chance due to usually the top 6 teams in the league are considered contenders already. Then among the lowest 14 teams, the worst 6 teams of that group have slightly better chances then the other 8 but those 6 teams would have the same chances of getting 1st pick. So basically, my version of it would have 4 tiers of lottery chances based on records of the previous year:
    Top 6 teams - ~1% chance each
    Remaining top 10 teams - ~3% chance each
    Lowest 6 teams - ~6% chance each
    Remaining lowest 8 teams - ~4% chance each
    The math isn't totally perfect and it won't stop teams from tanking to get to the bottom 6 but at least it isn't teams trying to be the worst of the worst to get the most ping-pong balls, you know? And this will also eliminate teams stuck in NBA hell like our Rockets where not long ago.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The league submitted its own proposal to reform the draft lottery this week. Here are the details: <a href="http://t.co/ILx1eGshdz">http://t.co/ILx1eGshdz</a></p>&mdash; Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/statuses/489492055195127808">July 16, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well, it's not exactly what I wanted, but it looks like a move in the right direction.

19. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Another idea
    Cleveland can't get the Nr. 1 anymore

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

More generally: If you get a top 5 pick one season, then next year you are not eligible to have a top 5 pick.