1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA poised to deny Houston media market MVP vote

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Giannis will get his votes. Likely any votes given to Paul George will likely be SHAVED off Harden's votes. So that will be impactful.

The year Westbrook got MVP over Harden....Kawhi got his share of votes. And those votes likely would have gone to Harden in that race.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Houston is one of the most hated NBA teams. It is clear they prefer us to be a first round loser and footnote.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

How about they use the first round to narrow down to 2 players, then have the voters do another vote at some point in the playoffs.

This would of course make playoff performance count somewhat... but that seems logical to me...

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I, for one, didnt watch much of any of the festivities or the game. However, I don't blame the Commissaire-emeritus or reigning Commissioner but rather the players' lack of actually playing. The only ones who appear to participate at all are the youngn's trying to make a name at the passe Dunk Contest or never-value Skills'. The 3-Pointers are competitive but, so what (IMO).

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Agreed that the overall experience of the weekend sucks but this thread is about Houston not getting a media market vote for MVP. That may or may not have anything to do with the Commissioner either but he does have enough power to say something and bring it up in some type of media capacity.

Stern is an automatic middle finger, no explanations needed.

6. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Media conspiracy is a reality.

7. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

when skip bayless said manu ginobili was better than hakeem. I knew we were at war

listen at this point any trolls on this website bashing harden or the team need to be banned. If the media wants to play that game. Clutch has to get on code and play by their rules

8. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Overall, who cares. I think Giannis is the more deserving candidate this season anyway. That said Harden should definitely have won it 17 and deserved it 15 but so did Curry...

9. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

To me, war would imply that it's two-sided, we have not done anything to these national media whores, so it's more of a propaganda invasion and collecting w**** points at the expense of the Rockets. If it's a blatant bashing of the Rockets and it's players simply supporting national media nonsense, I could agree with you, but if it's justifiable bashing and open to friendly debate then I don't agree.

10. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Unless the Rockets go on a monster winning streak (15 plus) and finish a top 2 or 3 seed, the award should go to Giannis. The dude totally deserves it, if we are being real.

The_Yoyo likes this.
  11. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

I'm not surprised. No one from Houston had a vote last season.

Clutch the Bear deserves a vote, for the sake of diversity alone.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Truth, this thread is not re: ASG. Latter-day Stern was an uglified, dictatorial version of the dynamic, progressive Stern who defined what a commissioner should be in the 3-decades prior to the passing of the sceptre.

Harden's biggest obstacles to repeating are (a) his candidacy was promoted too early (b) rotter of a national narrative (I mean, who gives a hoot what Scottie Pippen, Steven Jackson or TMac say). I mean, really, these retired players' squawks sound like the drivel that comprise the Sreamin' A sports take populated w/abject losers like Herd/Skip/Max/SAS etc etc et alia (c) JEHj's style is efficient, effective, magnificent even. But, no, it ain't eye candy.
    Moi? Just give me Ws - - all the way to ParadeDay '19!

donkeypunch likes this.
  13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

How so? Is Giannis dragging his injury plagued team to the playoffs? Are they having depth issues? Is he playing with dleaguers and players that were cut by other teams yet still beating the Warriors?

Give me a break on this Giannis is more deserving crap... he's playing in a more Utopia-like situation and his team record shows it. That is all. Giannis is a great player and deserving of the award most other years, but the things James is doing is all time great while Giannis is just consistently solid for a solid club who supports him. He's never stretched.. he's just the popular Johnny come lately while Harden is hated. Popularity should have nothing to do with who wins the award.

14. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

LOL Harden deserved the mvp more in 2017, do you even remmeber that offseason prior. Their was talk that nobody wanted to play with James Harden, mike dantoni and harden wouldnt work. Nobody wanted Anderson and Eric Gordon, and then we proceed to win 56 games, and then its all about triple doubles hahah

If Harden would have won the mvp in 2017 then i agree giannis deserves it this year, but westbrook was a 7th seed and won the award. The NBA has no one to blame but themselves

Currently Harden is having the best offensive season of all-time based on effiecency. Thats more historic than what giannis is doing on a loaded bucks team

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I totally disagree. The award is for Most Valuable Player, and anyone who thinks that's not what Harden is must not be paying attention, with all due respect. We have the league's best player carrying this team on his back. Giannis will get his MVP in the future. He's a great player that I wish we had, but he's very young and while the Buck's best player, he isn't as valuable to them as Harden is to us, in my humble opinion.

BigMaloe, D-rock, alethios and 2 others like this.
  16. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

How are the Bucks loaded? They have a good team but they definitely aren’t loaded. Without Giannis, that team might win 40 and make the playoffs only because they are in the east.

malakas likes this.
  17. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

Malcolm Brogdon is shooting 50/40/90, they have eric bledsoe( who would be the best guard on the rockets currently not named harden), they have khris middleton, they have brook lopez shooting 3's, they just traded for niko mirotic, they have another stretch 4 in ersan, they have george hill who has always been underrated, they also have another young stud in dj wilson which allowed them to trade away thon maker

18. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Those are good points. I’m not trying to undermine what Harden is doing. It’s incedible but the Bucks have the best record in the league while consistently dominating the best teams in the league. Giannis has been more than solid. Yes his numbers aren’t mind boggling in this day and age, but his impact is through the roof. Yes, his team hasn’t been bit with the injury bug but is that a criteria now? If that’s the case the league should mandate that all mvp candidates play 20 to 30 games without a full squad lol. The Bucks would be dog shite without Giannis and with him are elite. To this point, the award should go to Giannis.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Nah, I'd vote for Shelby.

but don't mind me, I always look for a reason to vote for Shelby

DreamShook and letterZshift like this.
  20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

and without harden we win ~12