1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Players' Fathers' Heights

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Jet036, Jun 20, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Jet036

Jet036 Member

Whenever I see monstrously tall people I always wonder if their height is genetic or if they did something cheeky to get so tall. I'm always interested in the height of really tall people's parents because I'm wondering if their height is genetic.

Kobe Bryant's father's height is 6'9 so his height is obviously genetic. I heard that Lebron James' dad is 5'7 and his mom is 5'5 though so I don't know how he got so tall.

I think MJ's father is around 5'10

Anyone know any other father/parent heights of some NBA players?

2. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Yao Ming (7'6) parents:

His dad is 6'7.
    His mom is 6'3.

3. MD_in_Training

Lebron doesn't know who his dad was, but some random dude came out a couple years back claiming to be his father. The guy was 6'8, and was an athlete in college. He somewhat resembled Lebron, but everyone denied it.

4. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Spudd Webb's parents are 4'8 and 4'2. I don't know where he got his height.

5. bloop

bloop Member

Yeah it runs in the family.

For example all 5 of Rick Barry's sons from different women are tall. Rick is 6'7" and Brent is 6'7" and Jon is 6'5" Pat Ewing jr is 6'8, Pat himself was about 6'10" Bill Walton and his sons. There's a lot of cases:

There's a strong correlation to your parents but also some important factors:

1) Height is most closely correlated to nutrition and general health. Even if you have tall genes if you dont eat enough during your growth periods or are otherwise unhealthy you wont be tall. As a generalization the healthiest populations are the tallest.. for example in the 20th century rural Americans were taller than Europeans who lived in polluted cities and had inferior diets. According to records from the late 1800s whites were taller than blacks (who largely lived subsistence lives) and American Plains Indians were the tallest people in the world. Today Americans (who have poorer health care and diet) are shorter than Northern Europeans by like 4 inches and Asians in developed countries like Koreans average the same height as white Americans. Obviously this isn't a concern for NBA players since their kids will have enough to eat and health care but might explain some NBA player's father is shorter if he grew up poor on government cheese or elsewise didn't have proper care in his own youth.

2) You get half your DNA from your mom. You get a quarter from your grandparents etc. Not all your genetic lineage is visible to the eye. You might have taller genes even if your parents are shorter

3) There's built in randomness to genetics. Even if your brothers and dad are tall you could be shorter. Evolutionarily randomness is built into how genes manifest. Even identical twins have small differences even though they started out with identical DNA. If you had a do over, even given your identical DNA depending on developmental stuff you could be an inch or two taller or shorter than you are today.

4) Given all that, if you're on the very end of the bell curve like Yao Ming a lot of things had to go right for you to be such a genetic freak. You'll probably have tall kids but it's unlikely even given the genes your kids will hit all the random jackpots and be as tall. Ralph Sampson's son is about 6'10" which obviously is not as tall as Sampson.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

That's interesting to know.

I had a buddy when I was around 3rd grade and he came from a really poor family, this was in a developing country. I guess poor there is worlds apart than poor in the states. He was really malnourished. At one point I didn't see him for months and when I finally saw him, he was at least a foot shorter. Mind you this was just a few months (a lot less than a year) so I couldn't have grown that much, if at all. I was really confused for years because I didn't know anyone could shrink. He was shorter, skinnier, and darker.

Was I imagining things? Did I grow that much or did he really shrink? I'm 5'7 now so I couldn't have grown that much in 3rd grade. He was taller than I was before, and then he got short.

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

It's partially my own hypothesis, partially the paleontogical studies that were quoted in my readings on the Paleo Diet, but I bet that there's a direct correlation between the amount of meat that group of people eat, and the height of that group. American Plains Indians often starved, but when they did eat, they ate mostly meat. They're still big people, so it's partially genetic, but I'm guessing that eating bison was a lot better for them than their corn-eating cousins.

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Weren't Abdul-Jabbar's parents both under 6'-- maybe even well under.

9. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I don't know if this counts, but Jeremy Lin is 6'3'' and both of his parents are only 5'6''.